Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Superior
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011

mmcguire is on a distinguished road
Apostle Islands Trip

Planning our first three day cruise in the Apostles on a 33ft Jeanneau in Mid-August. Would love any suggestions on best anchorages, things to see, avoid, etc. I have read Bonnie Dahls' guidebook, which gives a great overview, but I'd love to get some additional opinions. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-27-2011

silverbeard is on a distinguished road
First of all, Bonnie Dahl's book " Superior Way" is a great resource. Anchorages at Stockton Island are roomy but all so popular, so both Presque Isle Bay and Julian Bay can get crowded on the weekends. There are other good places to anchor as well, but as Bonnie points out, you need to be aware of the wind direction and how much protection that each anchorage provides or you could be in for a rough night.
Going ashore at Stockton, if you like hiking, has some nice trails. With three days, you would have time to get to Devils Island which has a lot of fascinating sea caves. Others hopefully will share their favorite places.
Although you will generally have plenty of water under your keel, the south end of several islands have a sand spit which extend out a long way from land, so watch your charts and your depth.
I will be up sailing in the Apostles Aug 10-14. Maybe see you there. My boat is in Port Superior Marina.
Hope you have a great time.
Old 07-27-2011

Thanks for the input silverbeard. We will be up the 18-21, so we won't have overlap on this trip. I hope we both have great weather!
Old 08-03-2011

coba is on a distinguished road
As Silverbeard stated the winds determine your anchorage. Our favorites in the Aposles are Julien Bay at Stockton, the north side of York Island, Sand Island and may people also like Rasberry Island and the north side of Oak Island.

Day stops are good at Manitou fishing village and Devils Island.

The water has been warm again so bring your swimsuits. Last few weekends it has been in the 60's plenty warm to swim in.

Enjoy
Old 08-12-2011

Awesome, thanks very much coba.
Old 08-12-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Very interested in a write up when you get back. I have sailed there before but it was a class so not much exploring went on. Was a starting point for a run from Bayfield to Duluth too, so nothing in the way of exploring there either. Would like to hear about your cruising experiences in the Apostles.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-23-2011
Call me Ishmael.

Daddyo55127 is on a distinguished road
Sounds fantastic- hopefully I'll be up there next year.
Old 08-24-2011
Much to learn...

Capt-T is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt-T
mmcguire... Now that you're back, would love to hear how the trip went. We'll be up there this weekend on s/v Breezes... Wouldn't happen to be the same 33' Jeanneau would it?
Old 09-06-2011

Capt-T, we were scheduled on the 33' Jeanneau but an electronics issue had us move over to a 36' Catalina. I hope the boat was working well for your trip! We had a great sail up to Stockton I and anchored overnight in Quarry Bay in really calm conditions. Sailed back along the eastern side of Madeline Island and made it back in just around four hours in beautiful 12-15 knot winds. We plan to make a longer trip next year to do more exploring and hiking. I would highly recommend the trip.

Last edited by mmcguire; 09-07-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-06-2011
Lake Sailor

cb32863 is on a distinguished road
Glad to see you had a great time, it is beautiful up there. Got any pics to share of your trip? I am not going to be able to get up there this year.

S/V Papillon 1977 O' Day 25

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.