SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Lake Superior (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/lake-superior/)
-   -   Munising (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/lake-superior/83938-munising.html)

shanedennis 02-15-2012 11:09 PM

Munising

It's still winter... so... has anyone else been to Munising Michigan on the South Shore of Lake Superior? I took my trailersailer up there a few years ago and anchored for a week on the south end of Grand Island with four friends. We exiled the two vegetarians to the beach and the rest of us slept on the 22 footer.

Every day we would sneak out of our little anchorage and go on a little run. The run to down the coast to the Pictured Rocks Natioanl Lakeshore is absolutely beautiful. Crystal clear water, beautiful beaches, amazing rock formations. One warning - the shore is unprotected tends to be leeward in bad weather so you need to keep looking over your shoulder to the northwest and the weather radio so you an get to cover quick if you are in a small boat.

On one trip down the coast we we about ten miles down the coast when we heard a severe weather warning on the weather radio. A huge wall cloud met us as we entered the protected bay. The crew thought it was real "exciting" - even though I just took down all the sails and motored in.

The harbor master in Munising was a friendly chap who lived aboard in the little harbor of refuge. We moored there a couple of nights and took in the Munising sites. Jerry Powlas and Karen Larson from Goold Old Boat came through while we were there. I was a database consultant for them when they were starting up the magazine and knew first hand how hard they worked. It was great to see them finally taking a long break for their much anticipated circumnavigation of Lake Superior on their C&C (a 30, I think).

In Munising I picked up a home made book about a guy from Munusing who circumnavigated Lake Superior in a Hobie. It's a cool read. Whenever the weather got too hairy they just beached the cat and hunkered down.

It was a fun trip for a trailer-sailer and I recommend it.

Lake Superior Sailor 02-15-2012 11:29 PM

Nice to hear another Lake Superior sailor out there! It will be May before I get back in. Can't wait to get back to Ontonogon; I'm planning a Isle Royal trip in the spring.....Dale

shanedennis 02-16-2012 12:26 PM

I have not sailed Isle Royale yet. Are you going to make the crossing to the north shore via Eagle Harbor? Everyone says it is beautiful up there.

drobarge 02-24-2012 12:21 AM

It is beautiful up there! I spent 4 months sailing out of Eagle Harbor last summer, 1400nm total on the lake aboard Peregrine a nonsuch 30.

Lake Superior Sailor 02-24-2012 12:17 PM

I am already in Ontonagon so I was planning a straight across run to Washington harbor,thenI can check rules & start exploring. If you have any ideas I am looking knowledge as this is new to me. I plan to send for info through the Park Service & Houghton police dept. This area is supposed to be the best "Jack London" experience . Better than any where in the lower 48 states....Dale

drobarge 02-24-2012 12:32 PM

Isle Royale is an amazing place for cruising, plan for many return trips. I've spent alot of time cruising there. The park regulations can seem a little daunting at first glance. Email me if you have any questions about anchorages sights or real world application of the park regulations.
drobarged at yahoo dot com

sorry for the thread hijack, this topic should have it's own place

shanedennis 02-24-2012 01:29 PM

Wow drobage. 1400nm on Lake Superior last year! You must have run into some fun weather. Sounds like you and Lake Superior Sailor share cruising grounds.