Duluth to Knife River - Page 3 - SailNet Community

   Search Sailnet:

 forums  store  


Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here






Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Superior
 Not a Member? 


Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 01-05-2013
MikeOReilly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 93
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
We plan to head east through the great lakes and then to the Atlantic via the Erie canal. We will stick mainly to the US side. Leaving in early May, want to be in the Chesapeake by October.
Good on ya . We'll be following in your wake the following year, except we're planing to take the St. Lawrence route. When are you planning to begin your easting Shane?
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.

Last edited by MikeOReilly; 01-05-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #22  
Old 01-05-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 204
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOReilly View Post
Good on ya . We'll be following in your wake the following year, except we're planing to take the St. Lawrence route. When are you planning to begin your easting Shane?
Hey Mike, that's great news! You deserve the trip. There was a boat called Nokomis that took the St Lawrence route from Duluth in 2012. They have a good blog- google "Sailing Nokomis".

Our duplex will be rented from May 1st. We will hop along the south shore as weather permits starting May 1st. And yes we have warm gear and a good heater!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #23  
Old 01-05-2013
MikeOReilly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 93
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Hey Mike, that's great news! You deserve the trip. There was a boat called Nokomis that took the St Lawrence route from Duluth in 2012. They have a good blog- google "Sailing Nokomis".

Our duplex will be rented from May 1st. We will hop along the south shore as weather permits starting May 1st. And yes we have warm gear and a good heater!
May can be a lamb or a bear, but I'm sure you'll handle it all well. I wish we were going this year, but real estate and lack of money will keep us here one more year. One more year to explore the Big Lake. That's OK...

I think we met Nokomis and her crew a few years ago in LaPointe, WI. Vicki & Paul were both wonderful people. I'm delighted to hear they've made the big journey. I'll definitely read through their blog.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #24  
Old 01-05-2013
downeast450's Avatar
Tundra Down
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seal Harbor, Maine
Posts: 1,228
Thanks: 25
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 7
downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

I grew up on the Hudson River and traveled the canals as a youngster. A beautiful river valley and very pleasant times in the canals. Shane, sorry you will miss the Maine coast. I do believe there is no place quite like it. Mike, if you need a friend in Maine when you sail along this part of the coast, Seal Harbor is easy to find. We may be headed up through the Erie Canal when you are coming down. We are starting a new house next summer here so it is not easy to know when that will release us.

Good on both of ya!

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #25  
Old 01-05-2013
MikeOReilly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 93
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeast450 View Post
I grew up on the Hudson River and traveled the canals as a youngster. A beautiful river valley and very pleasant times in the canals. Shane, sorry you will miss the Maine coast. I do believe there is no place quite like it. Mike, if you need a friend in Maine when you sail along this part of the coast, Seal Harbor is easy to find. We may be headed up through the Erie Canal when you are coming down. We are starting a new house next summer here so it is not easy to know when that will release us.

Good on both of ya!
Thanks Down, what a kind offer. I very much appreciate it, and hope I can take you up on the invite. Beers on me!
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #26  
Old 01-05-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 204
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Down, I'm sorry we will miss Maine too. If we decide we like the cruising life enough I think we will make it there one day.

Mike, I will try and remember to send you send you all my great lakes guides and charts when we get to the east coast. They might save you a few pennies.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #27  
Old 01-06-2013
downeast450's Avatar
Tundra Down
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seal Harbor, Maine
Posts: 1,228
Thanks: 25
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Rep Power: 7
downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

Lobsters are on me.

Down
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #28  
Old 01-06-2013
MikeOReilly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 93
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Mike, I will try and remember to send you send you all my great lakes guides and charts when we get to the east coast. They might save you a few pennies.
Many thanks Shane. That's very kind of you.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #29  
Old 01-09-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 204
Thanks: 11
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Rep Power: 3
shanedennis is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

No worries, Mike. We should be out of the Great Lakes in August. At the minimum I will send you Richardson Chartbooks for Superior, Huron and Erie; Superior Way; and Skipper Bob's Cruising Guide to Lake Erie, so don't spend money on those yet. I am sure you already have Richardson's for Lake Superior and Superior Way, just pass them onto a buddy before you leave.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
  #30  
Old 01-09-2013
MikeOReilly's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 1,042
Thanks: 93
Thanked 44 Times in 39 Posts
Rep Power: 5
MikeOReilly is on a distinguished road
Re: Duluth to Knife River

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
No worries, Mike. We should be out of the Great Lakes in August. At the minimum I will send you Richardson Chartbooks for Superior, Huron and Erie; Superior Way; and Skipper Bob's Cruising Guide to Lake Erie, so don't spend money on those yet. I am sure you already have Richardson's for Lake Superior and Superior Way, just pass them onto a buddy before you leave.
That's incredibly generous Shane. Please don't go to any trouble, but they would definitely be much appreciated. We do have Dahl's book, and Richardson's Superior, so if you find another worthy soul for those, certainly pass them on. But I'm sure I can find good boats for them all.

And please do keep us posted on your journey.
__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

 
Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may post attachments
You may edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maine to Duluth and back! downeast450 Great Lakes 5 08-11-2011 08:57 AM
Splash in Duluth?? nical Lake Superior 2 05-31-2010 08:25 PM
Sailing Duluth,MN to Cape Cod GNHBus General Discussion (sailing related) 7 02-25-2009 09:16 PM
Sailing / Rigging Knife kiyoshi147 Gear & Maintenance 18 10-19-2008 03:18 AM
Knife question Songlines82 Gear & Maintenance 10 08-18-2006 11:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Add to My Yahoo!         
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
(c) Marine.com LLC 2000-2012

The SailNet.com store is owned and operated by a company independent of the SailNet.com forum. You are now leaving the SailNet forum. Click OK to continue or Cancel to return to the SailNet forum.