Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Out There > Destinations > Great Lakes > Lake Superior
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lake Superior Sailor
  • 1 Post By amasaman
  • 1 Post By amasaman
  • 1 Post By Richard61

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2012

Richard61 is on a distinguished road
Return to Isle Royal

Last june I took the Island Queen to Isle Royal. Hiked as far as Three Mile campground. Had a heart attack and left in a rescue boat 2 days later. So I bought a PY26 Paceship sailboat. She draws less then 3 feet with the swing keel up(7 down) so I should be able to get into most of the docks. I would like to spend 2 weeks circling the island so I can take my son most of the places he missed last year. Does anyone have any ideas which campgrounds we should plan on seeing? With the boat we have the options of tieing to campground docks or anchoring out. Due to the fact that my holding tank is just under 20 gal. I am leaning to tieing up as much as posible so can use outhouses at campgrounds. That way I can refuel and dump at Windgo and Rock harbor on our way arround the island. We are also thinking about bringing two Kayaks along to explore the finger areas on NE side of island. Two of our must see areas are Lane Cove and Mosskey basin. Any other must see ideas would be greatly appreacated. We are planning on Putting in at Bayfield or Ashland and sailing North to the island. Thanks much. Richard
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-17-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
Re: Return to Isle Royal

Wondering how the kayaks get loaded?

Down
Old 05-18-2012

I saw a picture in a sailing magizane where the kayaks are mounted to hangers on the side lifeline stantions. Once at Isle Royal they can be towed or reloaded and carried on deck. When at Isle Royal will probly be using saildrive when traveling to the southern campgrounds. They are close together and in enclosed bays. Will only get to sail when on northern shore . Still looking for ideas on which areas are on a must see list. Richard
Old 05-18-2012

Lake Superior Sailor is on a distinguished road

You need to get a copy of Bonnie Dahl's Superior Way! I am planning a similar trip only from Ontonagan Mich. Good luck!...Dale
Richard61 likes this.
Where God got it done!
Old 05-19-2012
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road

Share the experience. We might make that trip, too.

Down
Old 06-20-2012

amasaman is on a distinguished road

I second the motion about Bonnie Dahl's Superior Way. Duncan Bay campground is a nice remote place for boaters only, be careful going through the narrows. Tobin Harbor has a nice little bay not far from the hiking/portage trail to Lookout Louise. If you are in Moskey Basin, make sure you stop at the dock at the Edison Fishery. The fishery is neat, the Rock Harbor Lighthouse is also neat, BUT, while docked there you must walk down to the Moose and Wolf headquarters and look at all the moose & wolf antlers and bones, and if you get a chance, talk to the scientists or volunteers while there. If you have time, Passage Island is a treat, but treacherous getting into if the wind isn't right.

Leaving from Bayfield or Ashland? That's a long ride. It is 8 hours from Eagle Harbor, (closest from Michigan) and 11 hours from the North Entry of Portage Canal. Bayfield/Ashland will be 20 hours or more. I'm not sure if you have a window of that long to have great sailing weather all the way.
Richard61 likes this.
Old 06-23-2012

My plans have changed since my first post. Due to zebra mussels in the Ashland area, I now plan to trailer up to Grand Portage MN and launch from there. I am planning to make my first trip the first 2 weeks of September this fall. I plan to sail around the Island counter-clockwise with stops at Washington harbor, Hay bay, Moskey Basin, Grace Island, A lot of time in 5 fingers, Lane Cove, Mccargo cove, and Todd harbor.
I am new to sailing this big a boat so I have several shake down cruises planned. My first will be a 10 day trip from Green Bay WI to Fayette MI state park. Then returning down the east side of Door county crossing back to the bay via the Sturgeon Bay ship canal. My second will be a trip to the Big Mac and back to build up a little big lake time befor leaving for the cold waters of Superior.
I am now outfitting my boat for the extended cruises. Any ideas will be a big help. I am shopping for solar panals to help keep my 2 battery house /1 starting banks charged while away from shore power for long trips. Thanks for all the great tips so far. Keep them coming, Richard
Old 06-24-2012

amasaman is on a distinguished road

If you are fishing, troll for lakers & salmon just off the shore by Chippewa Harbor. While your there, swing in through Chippewa Harbor for some big Pike as well, and maybe I will leave you some blueberries to pick on the hillside at the far end of the harbor. Cheers!
Richard61 likes this.
Old 06-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by amasaman View Post
If you are fishing, troll for lakers & salmon just off the shore by Chippewa Harbor. While your there, swing in through Chippewa Harbor for some big Pike as well, and maybe I will leave you some blueberries to pick on the hillside at the far end of the harbor. Cheers!
By the time I get there in September they should be gone but I'll race you for them next year Richard
amasaman likes this.