SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Irwin 52' video. You gotta' see this...

31K views 105 replies 61 participants last post by  JohnnyChristo 
#1 · (Edited)
#8 · (Edited)
And now a word from the actual owners . . .

You might not believe it.
YouTube - The Oceanaire, a Custom Irwin Sailing Yacht

The latitude of this video is around Orental, NC.
The attitude of the owners should be evident after viewing the video. Yes, it is two males that own this boat. You can fill in the blanks.
Makes for a wonderfully cozy floating apartment but I'd hate to take it away from the dock - ever, unless the gew-gaws and artwork are actually glued down.

Some cruising friends sent us the link to this discussion, So here we are to set things straight. Let US fill in the blanks. The latitude of the video is Bimini Bay, North Bimini, the Bahamas. Yes, we do sail, on a regular basis, from NYC to the Bahamas, via South Florida. Wonder no more, Nasomi and Jephotog, we have logged over 6000 miles since we purchased her several years ago and finished the refit. As to how many flat screens, guests want comfort and convenience too (3 cabins and the main salon = 4 flatscreens). Yes, just about everything is glued/bolted down, what isn't is put away, takes about 15-20 minutes. In our travels we met lots of sailing couples, and have found that if the cruising is like camping, one of them is usually a bit less . . . entusiastic. We live on her, so its a home. You really can have both, and we do. Now what was that about attitude?

#9 ·
Let me fill in the blanks. Yes, we do sail, on a regular basis, from NYC to the Bahamas, via South Florida. Yes, everything is glued/bolted down, what isn't is put away, takes about 15-20 minutes. In our travels we met lots of sailing couples, and have found that if the cruising is like camping, one of them is usually a bit less . . . entusiastic. We live on her, so its a home. You really can have both, and we do. Now what was that about attitude?
I just wanna know if those were mink throws on the beds. Like I said...pimpin' baby!

Oh - and I'm glad to know everything is bolted/glued. Having a 300 lb stone Tibetan Bhudda dropping into the aft sack with you at 3 am is seriously bad mojo...mink or no mink.

Nice ride dude. Welcome to SN.

#12 ·
Cool. You guys do keep her in top shape.

Now on Caleb's "attitude" comment - c'mon it's not like the decor is early Marlborough Man...or John Wayne Renaissance. He was actually working very delicately to defuse untoward comments from insensitive boneheads like me.

You should thank him.

#15 ·
Many thanks for all the kind workds. As to energy consumption, here goes: 17 batteries, 18kw Northern Lights diesel. We anchor most of the way from NYC to points south. We are conservative underway. Generator runs every two days for about 3 hours. TV's are all 12V, except main salon. Serious cruising stuff: 35 gph watermaker, running backstays, full electronics, sat phone, 300 gals fuel 300 gals water, no moving parts toilets (headhunters use a 12v pump to do the dirty work), two large propane tanks in dedicated locker, dual refrigerator/freezer system (engine and electric) etc, etc. Most important: lots of storage, including a dedicated space for 180 bottles of wine and spirits.

#18 ·
Thanks for posting CD.

I don't think I can afford it so my view is not relevant.

The interior is not for me, it is too homey and too much decoration for my taste. I like the salon looks like a sail boat, not to remind my of the home or hotel room. Too much junk there that I am not sure what to do with it when I hit the open sea.

Hey, if you have the money, spend it however you want. It is a free world after all. :)

#19 ·
That is just the opposite of what I want from a sailboat. Like Charlie said, that interior would be more fit on a luxury motorboat.

For me a sailboat should be about simple and light things, like the wind and the sea and a perfect setting for a simple and enjoyable live. I don't even want a TV on my boat, just a good stereo hi-fi to enjoy music.

But I guess that there are a lot of different sailors....but I confess that I had never saw anything like that interior on a sailboat, not even on much bigger and very expensive yachts.

Regards

Paulo

#22 ·
I just get to wondering how one cleans around all the stuff that's glued and bolted down.

My boat has 5% of that amount of stuff and it already bugs me.

But the boat looks clean enough so I guess there's a way to do it all in less than a week.

#24 · (Edited)
Whats not to like?

I just look past all the trinkets and look at the bones of the boat.

My trinkets would be fishing reels, fly rods and camera gear...so what.

What you have done in the way of fit and finish is Outstanding...I don't have the patients for it but I know quality workmanship when I see it.

You Sir set a high bar indeed......Well done!..

#28 ·
Most of the decoration and wood work would be ruined if this sailboat would go for a sail...I can see all that stuff flying around in the boat.:eek:

I can also see a few TV ruined by small leak on the deck, and there will eventually be a leak on that deck with all the hardware on it...

#29 ·
Most of the decoration and wood work would be ruined if this sailboat would go for a sail...I can see all that stuff flying around in the boat.:eek:

I can also see a few TV ruined by small leak on the deck, and there will eventually be a leak on that deck with all the hardware on it...
Peter - I think that you may have missed some of the owners feedback about sailing and securing the items that have been installed.

#33 ·
I wish you would read all the posts before passing judgement

:hothead :hothead

She ALWAYS gets out of the slip. She ALWAYS travels. It is pretty easy to dismiss our work and our result as a "dock boat", but it would be nicer for those nay-sayers to just admit that they don't want to/can't/or don't really love their vessel enough to take better care of her. We understand the finanical limits of some owners, but rest assured that we also do most of the work ourselves, so it sometimes boils down to putting in the elbow grease necessary to get things done right ONCE. Our diligence is rewarded with much less downtime than alot of our fellow sailors with much less complicated boats. It comes down to doing it right at the start, not taking the easiest or cheapest route to a repair. Good equipment lasts, cheap crap is well . . . cheap crap. "Discount" boat part sites may be cheaper, but cheap stuff gives cheap results. We have always over bought, such as buying the next pump size up instead of the bare minimum for the job. The same applies to electrical items and plumbing items. For example, our toilets are from HeadHunter Heads in Fort Lauderdale. More money? Yes. but in 3 years of constant year round use, never a clog, jam or toilet being taken apart. Same with the water maker. Makes about 30 gals an hour, but then we only have to run it one hour, as opposed to the cheaper units that you run for 6 hours and have to pickle etc and have constant problems. As far as the interior finish, it was done once, at great expense, but now it just needs vinegar and water to keep it looking like new.
SO,
"why bother?", so you can spend less time fixing your boat and more time enjoying it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.