SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

From Dinghy Sailor to Cruising

6K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  jimgo 
#1 ·
After sailing dinghys (Flying Scots) for the last few years, I started a search for a cruising boat in earnest this year.

I had planned to take a cruising course while I was searching. From the stories I read here, I expected I might search all year and not buy. But instead I found what appears to be a good boat early in my search and I have put a deposit on her.

So it's highly likely I'll be a boat owner before long, and before I've had a chance to take a cruising course. I've negotiated a couple of lessons on the boat after the sale as part of the deal, which hopefully will allow me to better understand the systems on this particular boat as well as serve as an introduction to cruising.

What else can I do to prepare for the transition? I have no experience sailing under power, anchoring, docking under power, wheel steering, etc. I'm studying books, and watching a number of sailing instructional videos to prepare, and I'm hoping that all these things plus my dinghy experience and lots of practice on my own boat will substitute for a cruising course altogether, at least in the short term.

Thoughts? Any suggestions or tips for making the transition from dinghy to cruising?

E.

See less See more
#2 ·
You probably can get most of what you need from doing what you are doing - reading, study, etc. There are some tricks associated with motoring, docking, anchoring, but it's not that difficult. Perhaps someone with big boat experience can go out with your on your new boat or you can go out on their boat. It's harder to sail a small boat, in general. Bigger boats are harder to maintain and dock.

If you have specific questions once you buy or want some specific type of practice, let me know and I'll help you out.

Reactions: emcentar
#5 · (Edited)
Sounds like you're doing most of the right things: reading and keeping your ears open. If the seller is offering boathandling lessons, that's great. Each boat has its own idiocyncracies, so he'll be able to fill you in on details that might otherwise turn into very expensive lessons. What are you getting? A C&C will offer different perspectives than a Catalina or a Cape Dory.
Of course, nothing beats the actual doing, to see how your new boat actually performs when you have to pick up a mooring, or come in to the fuel dock in a cross-current, or to pick up a MOB. It's like the question to the cab driver - how do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice!

#8 ·
...What else can I do to prepare for the transition? I have no experience sailing under power, anchoring, docking under power, wheel steering, etc...Thoughts? Any suggestions or tips for making the transition from dinghy to cruising?

E.
Yes, have you taken the free online Boating Safety course from Boat/US?

Here is the link: BoatUS Courseline

Next, have you taken all the low cost Coast Guard Auxiliary courses, starting with the Sailing Skills and Seamanship course?

Here is the link: Welcome to the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Official Web portal

Next, have you taken all the low cost U.S. Power Squadron courses?

Link here: United States Power Squadrons® Safe boating fun thru education

#9 ·
The most intimidating thing about big boats is the systems, so getting the previous owner (PO) to help you out is a wise move. Congrats on the new boat!

#10 ·
First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't believe there have been 9 posts in this thread an NOBODY has asked for PICTURES yet!!! What is with you guys?? How can you let the OP get away with that???

Now, to your specific questions. Fundamentally, I think you'be OK. You have more boating experience than I did when I bought my C25. I took the boat out 3 or 4 times with some crew (family) early on, then single-handed her out of the slip, for a sail, and back into the slip without issue. As others have said, if you can handle the little boat, you'll be OK sailing the big boat. The only real issue will be motoring, and that "just" takes practice. As is said here many times, just go slow your first few times, and don't approach the dock any faster than you are willing to hit it. Also, remember that you WILL make mistakes; don't beat yourself up too badly about them, look at them as learning experiences. We've all made them, and we will all continue to make them.

To the lessons, I agree with the suggestions above, if the PO can give you a few tutorials, then that's the ideal. You may not always agree with what he/she does, but it's a great way to learn more about the boat. The boating safety courses James mentioned are a very good idea (and a requirement in many/most states). The other courses may work for you, but you may actually find that you know more than you think you do, to the point where the courses don't always pay for themselves.

Where will you be keeping the boat? Given your proximity to the Chesapeake, you're likely to have SN'ers near you. Many here are happy to take others out for a day, and wouldn't mind going for a ride on someone else's boat, either.

#11 ·
First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!! I can't believe there have been 9 posts in this thread an NOBODY has asked for PICTURES yet!!! What is with you guys?? How can you let the OP get away with that???
She's not mine yet (survey is next week) so congratulations (and pictures) might be premature. I promise to post pics if it all works out.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. Good to know I'm not making a completely bone-headed judgement call here, getting the boat before having any experience with larger boats.

E.

#13 ·
The best way is to get the PO to go over everything with you and go out once or twice with them.

I went from a minifish to a 26' hunter. It sails the same, just handling under power will be the learning curve. Remember when you steer, it's the stern that swings around, not the bow.

If you're like me, the most difficult thing as a dinghy sailor was to learn to trust the ballast. :laugher

#16 ·
Cool thread. I'm in the same boat as your are, well not the exact same boat but I am going from a hunter 18, 4 years ago, to a Tartan 30 and know not much about docking, driving, are operating/maintaining a bigger boat. I also have done tons of reading and crewed on local races and did the Mac race once also but I only ever sailed or crewed on the boat. Never docked or cared for one. Lots of good info here.

#17 ·
Yes, cool thread. I'll be watching this for updates. I am in a somewhat opposite position. I have many many years of 16-20ish foot powerboat experience, but until the last few years I knew nothing about sailing minus the fact I liked it. We went for formal ASA bareboat training and started dinghy sailing.

I was very happy with what I got out of my school but I also understand your position. Go slow, you'll be fine. The fact that you are thinking about your approach of getting experience shows you aren't rushing into something crazy. Good luck to you with your new ride.

#18 ·
Here she is, my new Pearson 28-2! The survey went fine, and the wire transfer cleared today. So happy to finally have my own boat!

Many thanks to Jimgo, who saw one of my previous threads while I was searching and put me in touch with the previous owner right when she went on the market.

We'll be sailing out of Shipwright Harbor, in Deale, MD. Thanks to everyone here who offered advice while I was taking the plunge.

Cheers,

E.

#24 ·
Just wanted to say that although it was expensive, my wife and I took a 5-day ASA course in San Diego where we got to live aboard a 31-ish Beneteau and get private lessons each day in the bay. We spent the first two days learning the basics on a little Capri 22 footer which by day 3 we were able to take out on our own and sail with no problem. Days 4-5, we sailed the boat that we had been living on and aside for the steering into the dock and a few additional lines to pay attention to, the difference were fairly minimal. The end result was that not only did my wife realized that she really could do it (be comfortable on a boat and enjoy sailing) but we built confidence as a team in a variety of situations. Oh yea, plus we got to hang in SD for a week :)

I guess my point is that having the confidence on a smaller boat translates to confidence on something bigger...

#25 ·
So I had my first sail with the previous owner last Saturday. Everything went pretty smoothly, but I'm sure that's because I was relaxed knowing I had someone with me that I could ask questions. This Friday we're going to take her out for the first time on our own. I'm fighting a case of nerves. :puke

Suddenly I'm sure I'm going to hit my neighbor coming out of the slip and let the jib sheets fly off the boat when I put up the sails. Very hard to focus on work this week - all I want to do is watch docking technique videos.

Any tips for my first time out with my new boat on our own?

#26 ·
Yes, take lots of pictures and post them. How many times do we have to ask? ;)

To me, as a fellow novice, the thing that scares me more than anything is docking. I can usually leave the slip without too many mishaps (like forgetting to untie one of the six lines, or forgetting to unhook the shore power), but pulling down the fairway past boats that probably cost more to have buffed than I paid for my boat was (and still is) very intimidating. The oft-given advice here of "never approach the dock faster than you are willing to hit it" is excellent advice. As long as the conditions allow it, go slow, stay in the middle of the fairway, and swing your turns wide enough to avoid issues. Fenders/bumpers go out as you approach the marina, and the boat hook(s) come out at that time, too.

Make sure you've set up a springline that you can use to stop the boat. Know where that line is when you leave, and make sure your companion knows that it is THE one thing that they are to do. If the springline is set up properly, the forward momentum of the boat will both pull you against the finger and keep the boat from hitting the dock. If you are unsure, try it a few times, and adjust the length/placement before you head out for your "real" sail. Once that is set up properly, you'll be able to attach the springline where it belongs and KNOW that the boat isn't going anywhere, so you can pay more attention to getting everything else tied off. Learning about the springlines, and how to configure them, was really one of the best things I learned last season.

Honestly, the rest of it is a piece of cake. Yeah, you'll forget to release the traveler or vang before you hoist the sail and it won't go all the way up. Or, if you have one, you'll forget to let the boom off the pigtail before you hoist the main. You'll forget to release the furling line before you try to pull on the jib sheets. You'll forget where you put the stupid sail ties. You'll forget to point into the wind when raising/lowering the main. The sail will spill all over the deck. You'll knock your significant other in the head with the boom. You'll get rope burn. You'll trip over lines that you swear weren't there a second ago. The winch handle will always be out of reach on the other side of the cockpit, or up at the mast, just when you need it most. But these are all things that only you will even know about, and (except for the hitting your SO in the head with the boom one, which we now laugh about) really don't impact your sail. They are all learning experiences ("teachable moments"), and we all do them. Don't get hung up on them, accept that they have happened, and will happen again, and you'll be fine.

#29 ·
I did the same transition 4 years ago - I had sailed a 14' dinghy for a couple years and I bought a 27' Oday. The big boat is a LOT easier to sail. It's harder to maintain, but sailing is 100% easier.

The big boat will be more powerful, but also much more stable. It's like going from a dirtbike to a humvee. I can only imagine what its like to move to an even bigger boat.

#30 ·
there is a couple on youtube, with a channel about their cruising , they didn't take any courses in fact the one guy barely knew how to sail, they have videos up going from Alaska, to Hawaii , as long as your relatively smart , and not prone to rushing out you'll be fine . i have little experience with sailing let a lone cruising . I've been reading a lot and from what i read, it's really not that hard, if you pay attention to the weather before planing your tip and leave during windows of fair weather it's prolly better and safer too, i have also read not being in a particular hurry also helps, things like reefing the sails before it's dark, regardless of weather make cruising slower, but a lot less stressful, trying to reef a sail in 40 knot winds and stuff is not very easy, according to the videos i see of people doing that anyways. classes and stuff can't hurt you, but i don't think they are totally necessary , you can also join a yacht club, they will have a lot of sailors, and a lot of info and help, and usually it doesn't cost all that much to be part of a yacht club (for me in Ohio it's around $1,000 to $1,500 a year + or - 500 depending on if you use slips or whatever and how big your boat is, it sounds like a lot, but really it's not that much since I've seen one sailing class cost 1k before.
I am going to join a yacht club before i even have a boat, i figure i can help out around the place, help people with their boats and stuff I'll learn a lot just doing that , i really don't have much desire to cruise though my family does live in Florida so that option is open eventually whenever i get a boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.