SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Spring lines and cleats (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/100548-spring-lines-cleats.html)

BillA98272 06-18-2013 01:55 PM

Spring lines and cleats

I have a 1970 Cal29 and there are cleats for tying off on the bow and the stern. My question is there are not any cleats mid ship to attach spring lines to. Are you supposed to attach them a different way or is it just boats made in that timeframe didn't include cleats for spring lines?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Minnewaska 06-18-2013 01:58 PM

Re: Spring lines and cleats

I'm not familiar with your deck layout, but do you have mid-ship chocks? Some are designed to tie the line at the fore or aft and run it to a mid-ship chock, then out to a spring location. Alternatively, you can spring a line directly from the fore or aft too.

Dog Ship 06-18-2013 01:59 PM

Until you get into the larger yachts, I have yet to see midship cleats.
Most if not all people put them on after the fact. There are cleats that slide onto genoa tracks but they are a little pricey.

Alex W 06-18-2013 02:10 PM

There are some cheaper mid-ship cleats for genoa tracks that are plastic. Catalina Direct has those for between $40 and $50 each. I don't love them because you can't pass a line through the center (they put a thumb screw there), but they do work.

The problem with mid-ship cleats on sail boats is that they tend to catch sheets at the worst possible time. On my boat I use a bail mounted to the genoa track for spring lines. You can also run a spring line off of the primary winches or if you are careful about it you can tie them to the chainplates (below the turnbuckles).

JimMcGee 06-18-2013 03:59 PM

I put the Schaefer T-Track cleats on my boat back in '08 and they've held up VERY well.

Yes there are cheaper plastic alternatives. But think about the load on one of these during a storm. You want something that is solidly built, this isn't the place to save money.

Schaefer Mid-Rail Chock / Cleat, $92 at Defender

http://www.defender.com/images/612955.jpg

Faster 06-18-2013 05:06 PM

Spring lines can be run forward and aft from the bow and stern cleats too.. they needn't be tied amidships. Cleats that fit on your genoa track are nice, you can remove them for sailing and install them when you need them (provided you don't have blocks or stops on your track ends).

There are also some pretty sexy cleats that retract into the deck if you have the space for them.... but you can easily 'spring' the boat with just the bow and stern cleats.

CarbonSink62 06-18-2013 05:16 PM

I have a Catalina 25 with no midship cleats.

I tie spring line #2 to the jib sheet winch (and send it forward). I tie #1 to the base of stanchion 1 (and send it aft); I pass the eye of the dockline through the little 'legs' at the base so there is no way it can ride up.

I can't imagine anything that would rip out the stanchion that wouldn't also pull out anything else. I worry a lot more about line #2 slipping off the winch.

Ken

sailingfool 06-18-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faster (Post 1045711)
Spring lines can be run forward and aft from the bow and stern cleats too.. they needn't be tied amidships....

Faster, this is true but the midships aft spring plays a unique and special role in essential proper docking maneuvers for which line there is no substitute. This subject was well worked over in a recent thread.

JimMcGee 06-18-2013 08:29 PM

I use it for docking single handed (ala Capt Jack's video).

I also mounted a cleat on the piling at the end of our finger pier. I run a short line from the center cleat to the cleat on the piling with an old style line snubber.

This set up keeps the boat close to the finger to make it easier for my wife to board and the snubber keeps the boat from coming up sharp against the short line when we get boat wakes.

Goldfinger 06-18-2013 10:05 PM

My 33' sloop has mid ship cleats. But for a simple dock or rafting up I prefer using the bow and stern cleats for the spring lines. Seem to hold the boat better IMHO.