Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2013

juddgefizzy is on a distinguished road
Re: Small boat single handed hoisting

Ah ha! That organizer plate is slick, I like that idea. Slugs, too, I hadn't thought of that. This is all great info, I appreciate the help. Building a winter project list for sure! This summer I may have to make due with tiller rig and as much of a raised sail as possible leaving the dock.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-27-2013
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

The system you propose is exactly the system I have and it works great.
Old 06-27-2013

akavishon is on a distinguished road

my boat has a gentle weather helm, so here's what I do: set the boat on a close-hauled tack, tie off the tiller (or wheel) so she's self-balanced. move traveller to leward and give the mainsheet some slack. when you start hoisting it won't catch much wind ... now hoist main while the boat sails herself, close-hauled. when done, tack/jibe to new heading, adjust sails, and off you go ... also works for reefing and lowering the main.
Old 06-27-2013

juddgefizzy is on a distinguished road

Nice, thanks for the tip. My only concern there is a big puff (common on the lake I'm on) but it's certainly worth a try. Either way, speed seems to be the key!
Old 06-27-2013

HMoll is on a distinguished road

I added a standing block to my jib track. You can also use a cheek block to the coachroof. Then it goes aft to a rope clutch, and winch, near helm. This way I can "maneuver" full batten mainsail through lazy jacks without leaving tiller. Many options from all these posts! Good luck.
Old 06-28-2013

PeterH61 is on a distinguished road

I used a tiller tamer on my Venture 22'. Worked great to head forward to hank on the head sail or raise the main.
Old 06-28-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

Bungee cord to "tame the tiller."
Head into the wind as best you can with a slight forward movement...
Ease the mainsheet completely (it'll flop some as you raise).
The sail slugs and the halyard run to the cockpit is really only useful together... if you are going to remain bolt rope the halyard to the cockpit will actually be a pain.

I am a 25 foot sailboat with bolt rope main, with the halyard run to the cockpit, and I usually jump the rope before the deck organizer when I am solo, and raise the main myself that way, then I take up the slack to the halyard after it's up.

But yeah, I'm on a tight lake in the hills too, and the gusts are brutal. Here's the best suggestion I can give you... duck deep into a cove on a windward side (to get shelter), head into the wind, you should have a drop of 50% or better of wind speed, THIS should get you a decent quiet place to raise your mainsail (this is how I do it solo sailing when the winds pipe up, but I still want to sail).

By the way that 165 is a sweet little wing keel boat, you'll have some fun with that. That was on my list at one point in my ladder of upgrade boats.

Welcome to the obsession.

PS. I get that the boat is a might bit tender for going forward to raise the main. You'll likely be MUCH happier with sail slugs, and a sail stopper, and that halyard run to the cockpit as you mocked up (I know - winter project - I am familiar with that)... this was my last winter: www.shnool.com - /images/capri25/Boat Projects-2012/ You'll get use to it all though.
Old 06-28-2013

SchwarckT is on a distinguished road

If I can't sail right off the dock, I row my 15'er out far enough to get some room, raise the jib and get sailing on a close reach. With the tiller lashed, I can go to the mast and raise the main as it luffs while the boat sails itself. I use the same method in my Mariner and my '22 after I shut off the motor.
Old 06-28-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Looking at your deck photo it seems like you could get away with almost no holes in your deck. You should be able to bolt an eye to mount your turning block to the mast pivot bolt on your mast step, and as someone said above, you should be able to buy an extra block mounted on a track car that you could mount on your jib sheet track rather than bolt to the deck. (It will want to be further aft than you show it.) and so all you need is a cam cleat for the halyard.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 06-28-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

If you have two cleats on the sides of the cockpit in line with your tiller you can experiment with tying a line between them that wraps around the tiller with a loose clove hitch.

That acts as a tiller tamer and doesn't get in the way like a real tiller tamer does when you are actually sailing.

The friend who bought my Catalina 25 figured this trick out and it works great. It's much better than the Tiller Tamer that we once had on there.

Tags
hoist , single handed