Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2013

TackSeason31 is on a distinguished road
Re: Advice for my Tartan 31

Just out of curiosity, where did you purchase the boat from? Reason I ask, is a T31 just sold recently from our marina, Brewer Glen Cove.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-19-2013

skysail is on a distinguished road

I bought it in Chicago
Old 07-31-2013

[IMG][/IMG]
miatapaul likes this.
Old 07-31-2013

awesome, didn't think that would work.

Question, The lazy jacks were extremely tight, as you can see in the picture. This didn't allow for the boom to come down and tighten the mainsail. There was also no room for adjustment. I had the same type of line, and simply extended it so I can adjust my boom to tighten the sail. The entire boom was being held up by the lazy jacks. I don't understand how the PO sailed it.
Is the doyle stack pack designed to use lazy jacks? Does anyone use it without them?

Now all is great. This is the only picture I have, Ill get more soon.
Old 07-31-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackSeason31 View Post
Just out of curiosity, where did you purchase the boat from? Reason I ask, is a T31 just sold recently from our marina, Brewer Glen Cove.
That sounds like Doug R.'s old boat. That was a really nicely set up boat that has done some wonderful cruising.

As to the other stuff:
1. Most of the Tartan 31's have single line reefing. Its a very high friction system that does not work all that well, but you can see how its rigged here. Google Image Result for http://theriggingcompany.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/slrboom.gif

2. I don't know how your lazy jacks are rigged but lazy jacks normally come in three varieties, 1. The tension on the lazy can be eased by a line cleated near the base of the mast. 2. lazy jacks which can be eased by a cleat on the boom or which can be disconnected while sailing, or 3. lazy jacks which are permanently rigged but which are long enough that they should be slack any time that you are sailing.

3. From your description of yourself and the kinds of questions you are asking, with all due respect, it does not sound like you are sufficiently knowledgeable to survey a sailboat, especially one with a cored hull as I believe is the case with the Tartan 31. I strongly suggest that you get the boat surveyed properly.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies
Old 07-31-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysail View Post
I just bought a Tartan 31 last week. Its my first big boat and its in the water. It has a roller furling and a Doyle stack pack along with what I think are lazy jacks? My previous boat was extremely simple with hank on sails and 2 halyards. This boat has everything led aft to the cockpit.

So first question, what the proper was of using a roller furling? Do I leave the sheets loose, and let out as much as I think I need of the head sail, and then tighten the sheet? Do you need to be in irons to use it?

Another question I has was, it the some sort of diagram on how reefing works with my system. The only thing on my boat that is not set up are the reef lines, which go through the boom, and led into the cockpit. They are just loose, tied up at the end of the boom.

I have been out a few times just teaching myself in light air, I will have a coach sometime next week.

Thanks!
You should take Julie More out for a sail....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-31-2013

Line is cleated at the base of the mast with no slack left, until I adjusted it on my own.

I don't know who Julie More is, but thanks for the advice anyway.

Is the stack pack designed to be used with lazy jacks? Does anyone use a stack pack only and got rid of the jacks?

As I said before, my previous boat did not have all these accessories, they are not necessary to sail. My boat came with them, so i'm trying to learn about it. A few experienced sailors that I asked for help did not know either because their boats do not have them. This is why I'm here.

I think that my experience and knowledge, along with my fathers, was enough to survey the boat, and deem it safe. If I decide to cross an ocean someday, then maybe I'll have it surveyed, but by then who know what kind of boat I'll have or where life will take me.

Thanks in advance for any more advice. It is appreciated
Old 07-31-2013

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road

The lazy jacks (lines) help support the stack pack, so yes they are needed. I don't like the stack pack, but do like the lazy jacks. You will need to slack the lazy jack lines when you raise the sail...ease the main sheet, raise the topping lift, hoist the main, ease the topping lift adjust the mainsheet etc.

Nice boat. Good on ya for getting out here. Lot's of good folks here to help you along the way. Keep asking questions, and sail the heck out of your boat!

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Old 07-31-2013

Thanks a lot!
Old 08-01-2013
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysail View Post
Thanks, that's exactly what I have. I think I should be able to take it from hear. Fixed the lazyjack ussue too.
I like to really slacken off the lazy jacks and bungee them to the mast.

I It stops the battens getting caught when you raise the main.

2 It prevents the lazy jacks chafing the main.

P.S. Congratulationns on the find, she looks like she has been well cared for. Now go and sail the snot out of her.

Last edited by TQA; 08-01-2013 at 08:40 PM.