SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Advice for my Tartan 31 (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/101093-advice-my-tartan-31-a.html)

skysail 07-05-2013 11:46 AM

Advice for my Tartan 31

I just bought a Tartan 31 last week. Its my first big boat and its in the water. It has a roller furling and a Doyle stack pack along with what I think are lazy jacks? My previous boat was extremely simple with hank on sails and 2 halyards. This boat has everything led aft to the cockpit.

So first question, what the proper was of using a roller furling? Do I leave the sheets loose, and let out as much as I think I need of the head sail, and then tighten the sheet? Do you need to be in irons to use it?

Another question I has was, it the some sort of diagram on how reefing works with my system. The only thing on my boat that is not set up are the reef lines, which go through the boom, and led into the cockpit. They are just loose, tied up at the end of the boom.

I have been out a few times just teaching myself in light air, I will have a coach sometime next week.

Thanks!

deniseO30 07-05-2013 12:01 PM

Re: Advice for my Tartan 31

Welcome to Sailnet! Congrats...it's in the water? No survey??

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NRcTBtPfrmw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lazy jacks contain the sail when you drop it, the sailpack cover is like an envelope.

We have a saying around here. :D
:worthless:

skysail 07-05-2013 08:44 PM

No, no survey. The boat was out of the water and my father and I did our own thorough inspection. We launched it and took off to our slip. Everything is in perfect shape. The only problem we had was with the lazy jacks that were installed last year apparently. There is no adjustment left in them and were too tight. It did not let the boom down enough to tighten the mainsail.

I'll post pics when I get on a laptop.

I redid the lazy jacks on my own to loosen em up so I can sail with the main. Now the next step is to assemble both reefs which are led aft to the cockpit.
Is there a good explanation about that on the Internet somewhere?

JimsCAL 07-05-2013 08:57 PM

You are going to have to figure out if you have a single line or two line system, and how many reefs (usually one or two). With a single line system, one line tightens both the luff and the the leach. With a double line system, one line tightens the leach and one line tightens the luff. Check to see how many line you have led to the cockpit and where they go.

skysail 07-05-2013 09:42 PM

Ok I guess I need to work up to 10 posts to get a picture up.

skysail 07-05-2013 09:50 PM

I for sure have 2 reefs in my main. There are 2 separate lines that are led aft, One is labeled reef 1, and the other says reef 2. When I raised my main today, I did see places two grommets where the lines go in the back end, and I think I saw something forward too.
Sorry, I don't know boating/sailing terminology. Front is leach, back is luff?

deniseO30 07-05-2013 10:29 PM

here's a learning article http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learni...s-reefing.html

chef2sail 07-05-2013 11:57 PM

I would suggest you find a friend with a sailboat who will go out with you a few times initially. Many of us learned that way. Don't be afraid to ask a lot f questions.

Welcome to SN and good luck with your new boat.

Dave

TackSeason31 07-12-2013 09:57 PM

I cannot post a link as I'm a new user, but if you google Tartan 31 owners manual, and take a look at the documents.clubexpress pdf, there is a diagram of how the reefing lines should go. Hope this helps

skysail 07-17-2013 03:39 PM

Thanks, that's exactly what I have. I think I should be able to take it from hear. Fixed the lazyjack ussue too.