Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: New sailing j-22 to a Hobie wave

Some excellent advice on this this thread.

Most Hobies don't have a centerboard which is one of the reasons they can be tricky to tack. You hit the nail on the head when you said the Hobie seemed to take a wider track while tacking than did the J22. The 22 was turning on it's keel. Relatively speaking the difference is like the j boat turning on a dime.

That said, the advice to maintain speed, and not stall the rudders is spot on. Hobies need momentum to tack. Anything that bleeds speed off is a tack killer.

if you get stuck half way thru the tack depending on wind speed you may need to take a step or two to get going. Essentially, because the boat can't go forward because it is head to wind you need to go backwards. Huh? Yup, you need to sail backwards to get yourself unstuck ( out of Irons). In moderate to heavy winds this is a one step process - reverse the rudders. The wind pushes the boat backwards, the stern of the boat will go in whatever direction the rudders are pointing. The sail should be unsheeted until the bow comes around to your sailing course. Once pointed in the right direction go neutral on the rudders, sheet in and sail away. In light winds there is sometimes an extra step - that is - using the main sail to help you back up. Rather than just sitting there bobbing up and down waiting for physics to take over, give it some help by pushing the main sail out to act like a big air brake. Whatever wind there is will push you back more quickly by doing this. Experience Hobie racers who blow a tack make this look like part of the tacking sequence. IOW, with some practice, it's not hard to do.

Good luck with your sailing experience and welcome to a great sport!!!! Or is it a hobby? Either way, it's a lot of fun!!!!!
ottos likes this.

Last edited by TJC45; 07-10-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Paradise View Post
My opinion...the sunfish sails more like a real boat. And it will go in the direction you want it to, within reason.

The Hobie is faster downwind or on a reach, but God help you if you have to go against the wind- then they are awful. I can never really get them to tack or go upwind. But they do have more room.
No disrepect meant here, but I gotta take exception to this. Hobies ARE real boats. They are more challenging to sail than the average monohull boat and require some extra skill set developement to sail efficiently. Once these skills are learned the boat is like any other boat, handling it comes naturally.

Besides being a blast to sail, Hobies are excellent teaching platforms. Take the H16 - While every H16 is identical, these boats are extremely adjustable. outhaul, downhaul, batten tension, jib tension, traveler, and mast rake all come into the tuning picture when setting the boat up for current conditions. Adding a full set of telltales lets student sailors see the effects of every adjustment and every input. Along with having alot of fun students who learn on Hobies, because they are more challenging, can step onto any monohull and sail it.

And again, no disrepect but I also disagree with these boats being awfull to sail upwind. In the right hands Hobies go to wind without issue. In many cases we can out point monohulls depending on conditions. And regardless, we will always beat them around the cans.
overbored, ChristinaM and domromer like this.

Last edited by TJC45; 07-10-2013 at 02:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TJC45 For This Useful Post:
overbored (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

thanks for that post. well said. I thought it was very interesting when the America's cup guys started to sail the CATs and I watched them make all the typical mistakes sailors make when learning a to sail a Cat.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 07-11-2013

domromer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC45 View Post
No disrepect meant here, but I gotta take exception to this. Hobies ARE real boats. They are more challenging to sail than the average monohull boat and require some extra skill set developement to sail efficiently. Once these skills are learned the boat is like any other boat, handling it comes naturally.

Besides being a blast to sail, Hobies are excellent teaching platforms. Take the H16 - While every H16 is identical, these boats are extremely adjustable. outhaul, downhaul, batten tension, jib tension, traveler, and mast rake all come into the tuning picture when setting the boat up for current conditions. Adding a full set of telltales lets student sailors see the effects of every adjustment and every input. Along with having alot of fun students who learn on Hobies, because they are more challenging, can step onto any monohull and sail it.

And again, no disrepect but I also disagree with these boats being awfull to sail upwind. In the right hands Hobies go to wind without issue. In many cases we can out point monohulls depending on conditions. And regardless, we will always beat them around the cans.
This response sorta leads into my next question. Beyond just enjoying myself on the water. I do have a goal/dream of getting a boat large enough to go on overnight trips with my wife and explore the gulf. With my budget it going to have to be a monohull. Can I continue using the wave and become a better sailor and have the skills to sail a larger monohull down the road, or should I be sailing more monohual dinghys? I really enjoy sailing the wave as it's so comfortable and easy to sail. But I also want to be moving in the right direction for my eventual goal.

I suppose in the winter I'll be sailing dinghys anyways as the wet ride of the cat won't be that much fun when the water is in the 50s. I just don't want to forget how to use a Jib entirely! Basically is it as easy jump from sailing a cat to a monohual? Do the skills crossover?
Old 07-12-2013

after you master any small dingy you will find almost any cruising boat easy to sail. but when it comes to docking you will have a bit more to learn. the saiing part is the easiest part of the cruising boat
TJC45 likes this.
Old 07-12-2013

Your experience sailing the Hobie is fully transferable to larger more complex boats. That the hobie is tougher to tack and that it doesn't have a jib will, if anything, make you a better sailor.

The fact that you are sailing a small highly responsive boat will make you a better sailor. You can see the effects of wind current waves etc on the boat. You get instant feedback to any input. That is something that doesn't happen on a larger boat.

The number of hulls has nothing to do with the actual learning to sail part of the program. When you transition to a monohull you will find it only a matter of learning that particular boat's characteristics. But the basics of sailing are the same, set course trim the sails and off you go.

BTW, there have been some grueling long distance catamaran races. The Worrel 1000 and Hog's Breath come to mind. Over 1000 miles of ocean racing. Not say you want to race in the ocean for days - only to say that your little Wave can take you places. You can learn to navigate and sail it all around the Gulf. I know that's not the goal, but just so you know, the boat is up to it.
Old 07-12-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I'd add you might want to at least add a genoa to that wave (something just more than a lapper) to get a feel for the dynamics of adjusting trim for the slot, if you want the Wave to keep teaching (plus it'll add even more speed to it!).
Old 07-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post
I'd add you might want to at least add a genoa to that wave (something just more than a lapper) to get a feel for the dynamics of adjusting trim for the slot, if you want the Wave to keep teaching (plus it'll add even more speed to it!).
I would like to see a genoa on a Hobie Wave
Attached Thumbnails
New sailing j-22 to a Hobie wave-hobie-wave-6.jpg  
Old 07-12-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

All I could find is a jib...
Old 07-12-2013

Not a genoa but but it would do for me. these are a blast
Attached Thumbnails
New sailing j-22 to a Hobie wave-unknown.jpeg   New sailing j-22 to a Hobie wave-unknown-1.jpeg  

Last edited by overbored; 07-12-2013 at 07:56 PM.