Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013

jsaronson is on a distinguished road
Re: First True Single-hand

Your boat will point much better with both main and jib. Bring the traveler to windward so the boom is almost mid-ship. After you tack and trim the jib reset it.
River sailing against the current will try your patience! The deepest water has the fastest current. Congrats!
chef2sail likes this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Congrats,

JAaronsons advice is good. Our C&Cs are made to sail and maneuver better with both sails

You crossed a real threshold going solo. Its a different feeling, especially planning wise for all your movements as well as leaving and coming back to the dock.

Great job,,,keep it up with safety in mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-09-2013
sailing soon

mark2gmtrans is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to mark2gmtrans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaronson View Post
Your boat will point much better with both main and jib. Bring the traveler to windward so the boom is almost mid-ship. After you tack and trim the jib reset it.
River sailing against the current will try your patience! The deepest water has the fastest current. Congrats!
You and Chef both have it right, the jib and the main need to be up to balance out the way it handles, the jib provides the power to move and the main balances the power against the keel to keep it pointed up like it should be. It will get a lot easier with practice, and you will get the feel of it soon if you keep on going for it as often as you can, at least if there are people there to laugh at you then there are also people there to admire the sail when it at least looks like you know what you are doing.

I know the first time I single handed on the Gulf of Mexico it was an education in how much adrenalin a person can possibly have in their blood and still be able to think and move about. I know I was on the verge of losing any and all control most of the time, yet when I came back in to the pier at Kemah people from two other boats were complimenting me on how nice and tight my tacks were, and how I seemed to have it dancing on the waves, really that was what one lady said, dancing on the waves. All I could do was kind of now at her, because the part where she thought I was dancing my boat around was the part where I was about to pee on myself as it slid through several sets of wild maneuvers that I cannot even begin to explain. I guess it looked like dancing from a distance, but up close it looked more like tumbling arse over teakettle in a blender. People may have thought you were doing a great job, so be sure to smile and wave any time you see people, and they will think you are doing those things on purpose LOL.

Congratulations First on you first single handed sail, may you have as many more as your heart desires, and may you also often have the company of good companions as you sail.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.