SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   I want to learn to sail in the Bay Area! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/101251-i-want-learn-sail-bay-area.html)

rob_d 07-10-2013 07:02 PM

I want to learn to sail in the Bay Area!

Hello!
I am hoping to learn to sail and I'm hoping someone here in the forums is from the Bay Area and is willing to teach me! I live just east of the bay area. I know this is a pretty big request and for most people, teaching is not fun. Trust me, I know. But I am a fast learner and willing to learn! If anyone has any suggestions or knows of anyone or is willing themselves, please let me know! Either pm me or post here. Thanks!

Rob

Philzy3985 07-10-2013 07:08 PM

Re: I want to learn to sail in the Bay Area!

If nobody responds you could try craigslist, too.

Berkeley marinas and thereabouts have cheap sailing classes. Like, really cheap, someone around $45 for a few-days course I think.

Shake some hands, smile, and learn, you'll probably be invited on bigger boats.

I'm from up there, and a buddy of mine checked it out in the winter because I took him out on my boat once and he was hooked.

br3nt 07-10-2013 08:49 PM

Check out Cal Sailing Club...

http://www.cal-sailing.org/

jak3b 07-10-2013 09:34 PM

Heres one in BerkelyOCSC Sailing School | Learn to Sail - San Francisco Bay Area | Sailing Lessons | California Sailing ClubAnd like Philzy3985 said, Go to marinas and hang out,meet people,ask.

itsthatClaydude 07-10-2013 11:29 PM

Look for sailing clubs in your area. Can participate in events, activities and crew with members looking for additional hands.

denverd0n 07-11-2013 08:46 AM

The Bay area? This is an international forum. Our friends from Australia might assume that you're talking about the Whitsunday Bay area. Even if this was just an American forum, you might be talking about the Chesapeake Bay area, the Tampa Bay area, or any one of about a dozen other bay areas. It appears that respondents so far are assuming that you mean the San Francisco Bay area, which may or may not be correct.

So, just a reminder that if you're not specific about the area that you are talking about, a lot of people may have no idea what you mean.

rob_d 07-14-2013 03:53 PM

I do see your point. And yes, I am referring to the San Francisco Bay Area. I am quite shocked, however, at some of these schools prices. I guess I was expecting something incrustation couple hundred dollar range, but the more I look, this is really an expensive thing to do. I guess I'm still hoping that someone here on the forum will be willing to at least let me tag along for a day cruise before shell out a grand or so for lessons. Any takers?
As for Cal club, it is cheap. But has anyone else tried it? I've read a couple of reviews that don't make it sound very appealing. But, beggars can't be choosers I guess.

br3nt 07-15-2013 12:15 PM

Cal sailing is a bit of a mixed bag. We went a couple times but decided we wanted our own boat. They do have open houses fairly regularly that are free and let you get an idea of what to expect.

Fstbttms 07-15-2013 12:39 PM

I joined Cal Sailing years ago when I wanted lessons. Their instructors are all volunteer club members. First time I went, I waited a couple hours for the "instructor" to show up and once out on the water, I was not impressed with his knowledge or instructing style. In addition, you are required to put in a certain number of hours doing maintenance on the boats. On the plus side, membership is cheap.

After my initial experience, I decided the Cal Sailing model was not what I was looking for, so I went over to OCSC and bought lessons there. It was a lot more expensive but my time was not wasted and I wasn't expected to work on the boat afterwards (that only happened once I actually became an employee. :p )

MarkSF 07-15-2013 05:46 PM

I have heard that Treasure Island sailing school's lessons are very reasonably priced.