SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Looking for an ASA or equivalent instructor in Rock Hall Maryland (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/101676-looking-asa-equivalent-instructor-rock-hall-maryland.html)

Advocate777 07-22-2013 05:21 PM

Looking for an ASA or equivalent instructor in Rock Hall Maryland

I have my first 3-day charter coming up - I am bringing my 15 year old who has no sailing experience- I have ASA 101, 103, 104 and was hoping for a refresher our first day but my guy had to cancel-
Anyone know a sailing instructor available next Tuesday for a half- day refresher on the chesapeake out of rock hall on a 28 footer?

Yamsailor 07-26-2013 02:47 PM

Re: Looking for an ASA or equivalent instructor in Rock Hall Maryland

If you contact me privately, I may be able to help you.

argold 10-12-2014 09:39 AM

Did you find someone?

I need an ASA 104 certificate to bareboat for 1 week in Croatia next September.

I took and taught sailing with the U.S. Navy Sailing Association in the 1970's. Since then I have owned and raced boats from 14 to 38 feet, both onshore and offshore. I currently own a Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit in Annapolis.

I have taught navigation, and I have taught many of my own crew to sail; some of them now own and race their own boats. I do my own maintenance and have rebuilt the diesel engine from my previous boat in my own garage.

Now I need ASA 104 certification to bareboat in Croatia. I have never gotten any ASA certification so I need an instructor to administer the tests and to demonstrate that I exceed the requirements for #104.

I want to keep the costs and time down and I don't need a sailing school. We can use my boat.

If you found and can recommend someone I would appreciate it if you contacted me.

Thanks!

sailingfool 10-12-2014 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by argold (Post 2268146)
I want to keep the costs and time down and I don't need a sailing school. We can use my boat.

If you found and can recommend someone I would appreciate it if you contacted me.

Thanks!

You can only get an ASA certification through a school, an instructor (like me) cannot issue a certification directly. If you lineup an instructor who also owns a school, he/she can do a class on your own boat and issue the certification from the school, but if its a class of one, don't expect it to be much less expensive than the standard class, actually there'e likely to be a premium for a class of one.

SVAuspicious 10-12-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingfool (Post 2269194)
You can only get an ASA certification through a school, an instructor (like me) cannot issue a certification directly. If you lineup an instructor who also owns a school, he/she can do a class on your own boat and issue the certification from the school, but if its a class of one, don't expect it to be much less expensive than the standard class, actually there'e likely to be a premium for a class of one.

ASA allows testing out. Many schools charge a lot for that.

sailingfool 10-13-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVAuspicious (Post 2269218)
ASA allows testing out. Many schools charge a lot for that.

Yes, you can challenge a class, although I've only seen 101 challenges. If you find a school willing to accommodate you with a 104 challenge, the 104 curriculum is extensive and I think a challenge test would probably take most of day. I would wonder if a school would agree to that for much less than what you'd pay for the class. Find an instructor/school owner who has an open schedule and it could happen.

My point is you need you need to pursue this question via the ASA schools, not instructors...