SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   books on basic sailing.. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/101786-books-basic-sailing.html)

nautical 07-25-2013 01:13 AM

books on basic sailing..

Are there any books that I should start reading that would prepare me towards asa101 course ?

Thanks.

SlowButSteady 07-25-2013 01:44 AM

Re: books on basic sailing..

I don't know about ASA courses, but Royce's Sailing Illustrated is the best intro book I've ever come across.

nautical 07-25-2013 01:53 AM

So don't we have a textbook kinda thing for the course?

Alive3and3Well 07-25-2013 02:06 AM

Yes, and read and know the textbook to prepare yourself for the course. There is the actual sailing, but the textbook prepares you for the exam. You will have good knowledge of the material and a primer on boating and sailing.

Good luck...enjoy!

nautical 07-25-2013 02:10 AM

Ah ok so do we get the book when we sign up for the course?

Alive3and3Well 07-25-2013 02:13 AM

Yes, and possibly try Amazon for a good used copy!

jameswilson29 07-25-2013 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautical (Post 1064393)
Are there any books that I should start reading that would prepare me towards asa101 course ?

Thanks.

"Basic Sailing" by M.B. George (Hearst Marine Books, N.Y., 1984) is a great primer with beautiful photographs.

Take all the Coast Guard Auxiliary Courses you can in your area. In fact, if you can take the full U.S.C.G. "Boating Skills and Seamanship" course, you will learn all you need to know to get started.

Sailing itself is not that difficult to master. What gets folks into trouble is basic safe boating practices, navigation, seamanship, proper preparation, and decision-making, some of which you learn through experience and some of which you can acquire through study.

Tempest 07-25-2013 06:26 AM

ASA SAILING MADE EASY TEXTBOOK - 101

This is the textbook that ASA uses for 101. They should provide it to you along with a logbook with your registration. You can look on the ASA site, if you haven't already; it covers the knowledge needed to pass the 101 exam in the Standards: here:

Basic Keelboat Sailing - ASA 101 - Certification by American Sailing Association

Do a google search on ASA 101 test questions, there's a couple of power point review sessions posted by instructors.

Good Luck..Have Fun!

nautical 07-25-2013 02:22 PM

Great, thanks for the links.

DRFerron 07-25-2013 02:32 PM

When I took ASA101 the instructor Fed Exed the course book as soon as I enrolled so I could read it prior to attending the weekend course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1064410)

Take all the Coast Guard Auxiliary Courses you can in your area. In fact, if you can take the full U.S.C.G. "Boating Skills and Seamanship" course, you will learn all you need to know to get started.

Twice a year I teach the USCGA Sailing Skills and Seamanship course. It includes all the chapters in BSS but with four chapters on sailing skills. Sailors would probably do better looking for that course in their area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameswilson29 (Post 1064410)
Sailing itself is not that difficult to master. What gets folks into trouble is basic safe boating practices, navigation, seamanship, proper preparation, and decision-making, some of which you learn through experience and some of which you can acquire through study.

Agree wholeheartedly.