SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

My first tack - I capsized!! :)

3K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  cederholm 
#1 ·
...and I loved it!

I've been wanting to learn to sail my whole life and recently my wife an I purchased a house on Long Island Sound putting me one step closer to sailing. Soon after I found myself a serviceable free Sunfish hull, mast and booms. A few parts and some labor later and I had a sea ready sailboat. I took in out a couple times with a friend who knows how to sail to learn some basics and yesterday I when for my maiden solo voyage.

On my very first tack and being a hair to slow moving my body I soon found myself in the water with the boat on it's side.:eek::) Being an experienced scubadiver I'm use to being in the water near a boat and having spent time here and on a sunfish forum I knew exactly how to right my boat and did it without issue. Spend the next few hours getting a feel for her.

All in all a great day! Can't wait to catch some more wind! :D

~ Carl

#5 ·
Sunfish are a great learning platform to start out with. I sailed on these in my teens and now I volunteer to help teach young teens how to sail them.
Even though I have a 27' sailboat I still really enjoy getting a Sunfish up on a plane. Lots 'o fun.

#6 ·
The simple pleasures are the best. Have fun!

#8 ·
Fun!

I haven't sailed a Sunfish since I was in Boy Scouts, but this weekend I'm off to a lake resort that has a couple and since I "know how to sail" I will be expected to teach my nephews. I hope my keelboat experience scales down well!

I'm planning on getting wet a lot.

#11 ·
So many hours, so many years, so much fun on the old Sunfish.

Long Island Sound? Hope you are close to shelter, in a cove, and watch the weather and waves carefully. Thats awful big water for a Sunfish.

#12 ·
Sal, are you implying that my Sunfish is little?? !!:eek::D

In fact I'm in a little cove at the mouth of the Housatonic river - I'm not brave enough for much more yet.:)

~ Carl

So many hours, so many years, so much fun on the old Sunfish.

Long Island Sound? Hope you are close to shelter, in a cove, and watch the weather and waves carefully. Thats awful big water for a Sunfish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.