Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013

JollyMon is on a distinguished road
Dinghy v. Keelboat as first boat

I'm just starting out. I am looking at getting either a Capri 14.2 or a Capri 22. I am leaning toward the 22 because I won't outgrow it as a daysailer. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy v. Keelboat as first boat

I've had both. The real answer lies with you; how you will use the boat, number of passengers, type of water body, trailer or marina.....etc... just what your expectations are.
CaribDream likes this.
Old 08-09-2013

JollyMon is on a distinguished road

More info from me might help: I will be sailing on Lake Murray, just outside of Columbia, SC. If I get a Capri 22, I will need to keep it at a marina, which is not a major issue. If I get a Capri 14.2 or equivalent, I can just keep it on a trailer at our family's lake house. We have waterfront on a nice wide cove, which except for a few Saturdays and Sundays during the summer is free of powerboats. In less than 5 minutes by motor, I can get to the widest part of the lake, which is where most of the regattas/races take place. I am not currently interested in racing. If that changes, I will look for crewing opportunities.
Old 08-09-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

Get the smaller boat. Very little investment risk and you will learn faster on the less forgiving boat(IMO). You should have no trouble reselling it for as much as you paid given you did not over pay and you kept the boat up or improved it.
TJC45 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-09-2013
Captain Obvious

The mention of family changes the equation. A 22 foot boat will accomodate 6 people, plus gear food and portapotty...a 14 footer barely 4, with nothing else...and miserably overcrowded at that. Its really gooodfor 2 or 3. A 22 has bunks too to lay on out of the sun or rain. Also a 22 will handle powerboat wakes much better.

I like the idea of keeping it right at the Lake House. Lake Murray looks like it has enough coves and cover to make it safe enough for a 14 footer.

Just depends if you want the capabilty to carry more and spend more time out on the water or if sailing close to the house is more appealing.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 08-09-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-09-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
Get the smaller boat. Very little investment risk and you will learn faster on the less forgiving boat(IMO). You should have no trouble reselling it for as much as you paid given you did not over pay and you kept the boat up or improved it.

True dat.
Old 08-09-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

I vote for the smaller boat for no other reason than you can keep it at your house. Just walk out the door and go. The smaller boat will be more easily single handed. Dinghy's make excellent learning platforms. And they are usually fun to sail. So much so, that many big boat sailors jump at the chance to get tiller time on a dinghy.

Nothing against the Capri 14 but maybe other dinghy's should be considered. Just about anything made by Vanguard will keep you very busy and usually very happy. Older classes like Chrysler's Mutineer and Bucanneer are highly recommended. In fact, the Buccaneer will give you all the boat you can handle. A very fast reponsive boat!!!!

None of these boats require a financial committment that would stop a bigger boat purchase if that's what you want later on. Maybe keep one boat at the house and the bigger boat at the marina for when everyone wants to go out.

As for learning, the biggest aid to new sailors, IMO, telltales. Buy'em and slap'em on the sails. As long as the telltales are flowing smoothy aft, you will be moving forward.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-09-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-09-2013
Captain Obvious

Buc is not very stable. He is starting out.
Old 08-09-2013
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
What he said -- especially the part I emphasized.
TJC45 likes this.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Old 08-09-2013

shanedennis is on a distinguished road

I say get the 22. I've sailed both, the 22 is more forgiving to the single hander and it doubles as a camper. You will probably get more miles in on the 22 - the 14.2 will get boring quick.