Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nolatom

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013

upnatem is on a distinguished road
First Boat Advice

Hi All

I just finished the Basic Keelboat course at Colgate's school on Captiva Island. Before that I had some experience on bareboat charters and Sunfish back in the day. I live in Tenn and boat on Pickwick Lake, which an impoundment of the TN River system and is about 44000 acres IIRC. This lake can get rough at times and there are tugs with barges coming through on a regular basis. It can be a busy place.

I want a boat small enough to be affordable and one that can be pulled out in the winter and stored at my lake house, yet large enough to provide protection in the main lake and one where I could mount a small motor for getting out of trouble. I would single hand the boat most of the time.

I am thinking about a Laser Vanguard 15 and thought I'd put this out for opinions. I was also looking at the J-22, but it has a fixed keel and probably wouldn't be practical for storage over the winter.

Thanks for any advice

Mark
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-09-2013

Tim R. is on a distinguished road
Re: First Boat Advice

J22 is a great first boat boat. Fast and lots of room in the cockpit. You can usually get them with a trailer.

I think a Vanguard is fairly easy to capsize which would not necessarily be good in your waters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 08-09-2013

nolatom will become famous soon enough

Vanguard 15 is an excellent choice. Good-sailing boat, and just the right degree of "unforgiving" to teach you well via instant feedback.
TJC45 likes this.
Old 08-09-2013

mike dryver is on a distinguished road

Check out a Lightning. 19 ft can handle 6 adults. Easy to single hand. Weighs about 700+ lbs. and you can get your money back when you want to get rid of it.
Old 08-14-2013
Possibly improving

Fau is on a distinguished road

We rented a J22 on Biscayne Bay this summer. It was a great boat that was a lot of fun to sail. Too bad it won't completely meet your needs.
Old 08-15-2013

BanjoTrout is on a distinguished road

Mark - Came across your post this morning and we have a lot in common - I just completed 101 and taking 103 next week; live in TN and am sailing with a friend on Pickwick now. Like you, we're looking for our 1st sailboat to enjoy there.
We need to stay in touch!
Clay
Old 08-15-2013

upnatem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoTrout View Post
Mark - Came across your post this morning and we have a lot in common - I just completed 101 and taking 103 next week; live in TN and am sailing with a friend on Pickwick now. Like you, we're looking for our 1st sailboat to enjoy there.
We need to stay in touch!
Clay
Yes, absolutely. At this point, I am thinking that a cat boat might be a good solution for Pickwick. Shallow draft, wide beam, simple rig, decent cabin, large enough for a motor, and can be trailered. I don't think there's a cat boat on Pickwick yet. At least, I haven't seen one at the marinas. Marshall Sanderlins look good to me. I have a friend in Miami that has one and I hope to get down there in Sept to get out on it and see what it's like.
Old 08-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

A j22 or any keel boat with a trailer would work. At the end of the day, regarding storage, it's just a boat on a trailer. You need a hoist lift twice a year.

Vanguard 15, Boston Whaler Harpoon 4.6, on the smaller end. On the larger end Flying Scott will take anything that lake can dish out. An Oday Mariner is a great boat to sail.

If you want something bulletproof no matter how rough it gets Hobie 16. Yup, it can be wet ride, but that's the trade off for fast and furious. trapped out on one of these you'll be sailing when everyone else has turned for port. The 16 is perfect for two people though can be sailed by one. Hobie 14 if you are single handed most of the time and Hobie 18 or Getaway if sailing is a family affair. All can take whatever your lake can dish. And fun isn't nearly a long enough word to do the time you'll have sailing one justice.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-15-2013 at 07:25 PM.