Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2013
s/v Tiger Lily

dvuyxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Learning to sail w/o water....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilton0585 View Post

I took out a pearson 35, well, the person selling it took me out on her. I was looking at them because they're much bigger than the bayfield I went out on for half the price. Boy did I see why. The interior wasn't as pretty, and soon as the wind picked up I thought I was gonna die. Never been on a boat when it heeled over like that!
No need to defend Pearson 35's but keep in mind that it's a boat with a very long production run. So some interiors are going to be better than others. May not be for you (get a boat that speaks to you). As for heeling ... Not sure what the conditions were but that is typically a product of how the boat is being handled. Expect all keelboats to heel. Usually the degree of heel is up to you.

I agree with others' comments. When on the lake take advantage of any opportunity to sail small sailboats. They are the best way to "feel" the fundamentals.
TJC45 likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-17-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

IMO, a small dinghy class sailboat IS the way to learn how to sail. AS dvu posted above it allows you to feel the boat. You will get instant feedback to any input. A larger keelboat will lack that feel. At the end of the day, all boats sail based on the same physics. Only the systems and complexity change. That's just boat handling that you would have to learn with each new boat you sail.

If you become competent dinghy sailor you can sail anything! IMO, you can do so better than those who have done nothing but sail large boats. Why? because you don't have any backup! There is no "iron sail" to help you out of a difficult situation. Spend a year sailing to a marina dock under sail, you will have confidence to handle any boat doing the same.

The Pearson 35's reputation as a excellent boat is confirmed by it's continued popularity. All boats have different sailing qualities. And, older boats will be found in a variety of condition. As well, on forums like this remember that you are reading opinions. For example, IMO, Pearson is a better boat than Bristol. That's not to say that there are one or two Bristol models that excel. And, Bayfields are pretty boats. That is, pretty slow! So remember, opinions, are just that.

Last edited by TJC45; 08-17-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilton0585 View Post
Cruisingdad has convined me that catalinas are the best boats in the world.

And you actually believed him.... I guess you do have a lot to learn.

Actually an older Catalina is not a bad first boat on a small lake, cheap to buy, hold value okay, sail decently. I also agree with the dinghy idea if you are reasonably physically fit and are good at physics (science) since you will learn faster than you will get frustrated.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay and part-time purveyor of marine supplies

Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-17-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-17-2013

Chilton0585 is on a distinguished road
Actually he told me to say that :-) i have no interest in catalinas lol. So far the bayfield 29 and the baba 30 are the best boats i went out on. Speed is not an issue to me. Secondary to how a boat feels and how safe she makes me feel. Hope to be able to take more out. Limitted choices in chicago.