SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is the tension belt really needed?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Spider0804 
#1 ·
I have a sirocco 15 and from the inner stern to about mid way where the floor elevates there is a belt that is the same material as a seatbelt and goes from the elevation to the stern (looping around a O hook) and back to the elevated part on the other side of the keel.

I realize this is to prevent flexing in the boat but the thing is 30 years old and the belt looks extremely worn down.

Already been sailing with it in tatters.

Anyone else just take theirs off instead of replacing?

It is not very long either, maybe 4 feet.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes those are hiking straps. Instead of getting rid of them, replace them and learn to use them. They will allow you to get your body weight outboard for better righting moment when you are sailing upwind. hiking is lots of fun, the boat goes faster, and it is a great abdominal workout!

Warning: if they are as old and weathered as you say, don't trust them with your full weight or you will likely be going for a swim! Ask me how I know! :D

#5 ·
And When it breaks while you're fully hiked, it's a backward flip reverse-face plant into the water.
I found this disorienting--"..where am I? What happened?" Ah, now I remember, I was sailing a Force 5, and now I'm upside down underneath the Charles River". I figured it out after that, and the boat had waited for me (why a little weather helm is good ;-).

#6 ·
I bought two sirocco 15s, an s15 and an e15 and the parts are mostly interchangeable.
I had to cut a bit off the strap from the other boat but it looks in good shape so I stuck that on there and tested my weight on it.

Works good, and now I know what it is for and will be using it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.