Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013

sailordave is on a distinguished road
Re: Easing the Mainsheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
The traveler does not affect sail shape. That is the whole point! The traveler allows you to adjust the angle of the sail without affecting the shape of the sail. Even a short traveler is better than no traveler. Use it when you can!

Yes, poor choice of words. I should have said 6 lines to CONTROL the main. But I think you get my point. And at the risk of generalizing, most casual sailors really don't *get* what a traveler does or how it's used.
Old 08-20-2013

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road

Do you have any close-up photos of the gooseneck and clew areas on the boom? From what I can see, you have a broken lower batten that should be replaced (You will have less draft if it is full length). Your slugs would indicate (hard to really tell in the photo) that you have enough halyard tension. Is your boom “Banded”? Your shape has a lot of draft in it which wouldn’t be very helpful in either very light or windy conditions. The diagonal line to the reef #1 clew makes no since. Take a photo of the end of your boom so we can work out a proper reef set up.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-23-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

It looks to me like you are probably over trimmed for a beam reach. The sail almost appears to be on center. It's hard to judge from the angle of the photo, I'm basing it on the angle of the topping lift vs the angle of the backstay.

Since you don't have any tells on the main you'll need to use the "when it doubt let it out" method of trimming the main. Let out the main until it luffs, then bring it back in until the luffing just stops.

Why is the jib rolled up?
Old 08-23-2013

FirstCandC is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I thought I was overtrimmed, too. Going to have to start using the traveler more. The jib was rolled up because I had my hands full with the dog (seriously full!), and I am also trying to get more efficient with the main before I start running two sails. Hopefully going to run both the main and jib this Sunday.
Old 08-23-2013

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough

That cleat on the boom appears to be poorly placed. It appears to be situated about where a turning block should be located for the second reef. I would relocate it on the boom near the mast. That cleat looks like it's for your outhaul. I would suggest you enlist someone with some experience to help you re-position that cleat, and to re-rig your reef lines and hardware. C&Cs are good boats, but it looks like a previous owner has tinkered with the rigging hardware. It shouldn't cost much to make it right, but you could probably use some help to position the hardware correctly.
Old 08-23-2013

There are also cam cleats that don't have turning blocks in the cockpit, leading the lines up and aft. This causes a lot of chafing on the lines, as you can imagine! I love this boat, though. Going to just work on a little bit at a time.
Old 08-23-2013

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstCandC View Post
There are also cam cleats that don't have turning blocks in the cockpit, leading the lines up and aft. This causes a lot of chafing on the lines, as you can imagine! I love this boat, though. Going to just work on a little bit at a time.
Cleats for which lines, where? Don't assume the PO didn't know what he was doing, there might be a good reason for their location.

With regards to trimming the main, I have found that leech telltales are the most useful. Put a telltail on the trailing edge of each of the top 3 batten pockets. If the telltales are streaming back then you have good flow. If they are hiding on the leeward side,, you are over trimmed. If the top telltale is hiding you have too much leech tension(not enough twist). Ideally when sailing upwind all 3 telltales should be streaming with the top one flicking to leeward occasionally.

A pack of telltales is the cheapest, most useful tuning tool you will ever find!
Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 08-24-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-24-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Shame you aren't a bit closer, you could come take a look at my C&C27 to see how she's rigged - I've had to re-do quite a bit of it since I got her, I think the PO/broker just dumped lines somewhere to make it look boaty
FYI, with regards to the reefing lines, I've found mine sails fine in 15-20kts with a full main and about a 110% genoa, with the 150 up it's a little too hairy for single-handing, but your MkIII is going to be a little more tender than mine so you might want to get that first reef point rigged if you think you might be out in a breeze like that. You'll also find she sails much better with both sails out, otherwise you will have noticed that you have to keep a lot of pressure on the helm to stop her rounding into wind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2013

Paul, after this weekend, I can definitely vouch for the MkIII being tender! Do you post on the C&C Association site?

ShockT, I figured it out. There are two blocks (one above the other) on each end of the traveler, with a cam cleat above each pair. There is also a cam cleat back near the wheel. I think the Previous-Previous Owner (who raced the boat) had it set up so you could use the forward cam cleat if you had crew in the cockpit to pull it upwards. When singlehanding, I think he either stood in front of the wheel, or just ommitted this cleat and ran straight from the lower block back to the rear cam cleat. Smart. Wish I could pick his brain..
Old 08-26-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I'm registered on there, haven't posted much but I do use the cncphotoalbum list. Your MkIII is one of the more tender boats C&C produced, fast in light air though. This is quite an interesting chart if you've never seen it before, http://cncphotoalbum.com/technical/stability.htm shows the relative stability of their various models. C&C never referred to the various marks in the way we know them, they were the MkI, MkI tall (Mk II to us), MkII (which covered the Mk III and Mk IV) and then the New 27 (Mk V).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.