Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
How we chose a school

Documenting our progress towards living aboard in a blog. Looking back at our ASA certification and how we decided on a school that was right for us.

http://thegreatislandescape.blogspot.com/2013/08/step-2-choosing-sailing-school.html?m=1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-20-2013

aa3jy is on a distinguished road
Re: How we chose a school

Just curious as to the costs of going your route vs. someone that takes the USCG Aux or US Power Squadron coarses and inconjunction ownes his/her own vessel?
jameswilson29 likes this.
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy:1076557
Just curious as to the costs of going your route vs. someone that takes the USCG Aux or US Power Squadron coarses and inconjunction ownes his/her own vessel?
Good question. Honestly I don't have that answer. Probably a little "googling" or someone else here could tell us. Personally I didn't consider either of those organizations because the information that I found locally seemed that it wasn't geared towards sailing - I could be wrong here, but that was my feeling at the time. For our purposes, I was looking at US Sailing and ASA because they are completely sailing oriented classes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
Good question. Honestly I don't have that answer. Probably a little "googling" or someone else here could tell us. Personally I didn't consider either of those organizations because the information that I found locally seemed that it wasn't geared towards sailing - I could be wrong here, but that was my feeling at the time. For our purposes, I was looking at US Sailing and ASA because they are completely sailing oriented classes.
Ok..you can enlighten us as to the total costs associated with taking all the ASA courses you mentioned and somone else can enlighten us as to the cost of coarses taken the other route USCG or US Power Squadron courses.

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-20-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy:1076565
Ok..you can enlighten us as to the total costs associated with taking all the ASA courses you mentioned and somone else can enlighten us as to the cost of coarses taken the other route USCG or US Power Squadron courses.
Sure. It looks like the prices have changed a bit, but generally it was about $5000 for the week. This was just my wife and I, and a husband/wife capt./instructor couple. They handled provisions, all cooking (we were very happy with the meals) and cleanup. Training was 100% hands on, only sharing instructor's attention with your spouse. In this way, I feel I gained far more experience and practuce time than I would have in a class based setting with 4 or 5 other students.

Also, being a private charter in the Keys, each night we were in a new anchorage. School/training ended at dinner, allowing for us to enjoy cocktails aboard and visit a few local beach bars with live entertainment. You know what they say - work hard, play hard. Nothing better after a day under sail.

Old 08-20-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post
Unless they got a big discount somehow, the cost for the liveaboard ASA courses for this particular place are right on their website. Says that it includes the boat, the instruction, the materials, and food. Don't know if sales tax is on top of the price?

ASA sailing Certifications classes lessons Florida Keys Sailing School
Old 08-20-2013

And, please understand this is merely sharing a post documenting our experience. I make no claims as to what is right for others. I'm just sharing my experiences and thoughts on our own journeys. This is happily a case where I believe we made the right choice for us, and we were happy with what we got for time/money spent. Can't often say that!

Everyone has their own situation and as they say, "different strokes for different folks".

Old 08-20-2013

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa3jy View Post

Maybe I am getting a little snarky because I should be sailing today and have other commitments. However, it seems that we are more and more getting questions that have easy answers, but that people want others to do the work for them.

The OP gave good information and what worked for them. Somebody wants to know how it compares in costs with Power Squadron and USCG, but seems not to want to look it up for themselves. Easy info to get, but lets ask someone else to get it for us?
Rhys05 likes this.
Old 08-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post
Maybe I am getting a little snarky because I should be sailing today and have other commitments. However, it seems that we are more and more getting questions that have easy answers, but that people want others to do the work for them.

The OP gave good information and what worked for them. Somebody wants to know how it compares in costs with Power Squadron and USCG, but seems not to want to look it up for themselves. Easy info to get, but lets ask someone else to get it for us?
Then show us on either the US Power Squadron or the US Coast Guard Aux web sites where the costs are listed..for an example what would be the cost of taking JN or N course(s)..or am I missing something..?

Last edited by aa3jy; 08-20-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-20-2013

Rhys05 is on a distinguished road

One Google search, and three clicks later:
Online boating safety course, boating license test, certification

http://wow.uscgaux.info/pe_class_fly...T&course=10761

...not really even in the same ballpark as the ASA courses, by the way...
jameswilson29 and tomandchris like this.

Last edited by Rhys05; 08-20-2013 at 11:44 AM.

Tags
asa sailing school