upraded my 22' for a 30' and now afraid to leave the slip - Page 4 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road
Re: upraded my 22' for a 30' and now afraid to leave the slip

no not scared off the forum yet!

Thanks for all the great info though. The wife and I will go on a calm day and just practice. This weekend she said "lets just relax on the boat". I think I'm also just taking in the boat purchase and ownership too. It was a big step up, but I think worth it. thanks so much agian! Anyone in winthrop harbor want to help me practice?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Funny, I was going to ask where you are located. You are too far from me.

Sounds like your wife understands your concerns and is willing to proceed at an appropriate pace. That is awesome.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

There is no denying it.. we all want to dock like this!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2013

manatee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniseO30 View Post
bubble, thanks! and I thought I had reached the end of the internet and there was nothing more to see!
The Last Page of the Internet - InternetLastPage.com
===========================

"The skipper should be the calmest person on board.
It is good for the morale of those around you. However, if everyone around you is frightened then be aware of the possibility that they know something you donít."

~~Dylan Winter,
Old 08-28-2013

krazzz is on a distinguished road

When I had my Catlina 22 I had a nightmare docking situation. The water was so shallow I had to raise my keel and my rudder. The channel entering the little marina was only a foot wider than my boat. When I came in I would have to do a 90 turn in close quarters with no steering. After several disaterous docking attempts I finally found a system that worked. I prerigged 150ft of line to a pulley at the front of my slip. I would grab both ends of the line and using the boat next to mine would walk out to my boat and attach one of the lines to the bow of my boat. Then I would then hop on my boat and take the other end of the line and start pulling while pushing the boat off the walls and boat next to me. Once I make the corner it pulls my boat dead center into my slip. Total pain in the rear but it worked. Not sure how else to do it without the use of the rudder.
Old 08-31-2013

mattt is on a distinguished road

Docking still stresses me out. I just try to go as slow as possible while retaining steerage. Any time I stray from this plan is when bad things happen. Every time I stick to the plan it is uneventful and smooth.
Old 08-31-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Dan,
How's the weekend going so far? Did you take the boat out?
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-02-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Dan,
How's the weekend going so far? Did you take the boat out?
No we just relaxed at the Marina this weekend. It was a bit windy on saturday and then sunday it was perfectly calm and I was getting all ready to head out as I thought with the lack of wind I could do it.
Then we checked the weather and it said thunderstorms by 1pm and it was around 11am so we decided not to chance it. I'm glad as the wind picked up quite a bit within an hour. There were a lot of sailors out though enjoying the great wind. It was nice to watch. The storm did not come until after 5pm though.

I did go over as much as I could on her and learn where everything is. My to do list is growing and growing.
Old 09-02-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan8152 View Post
I did go over as much as I could on her and learn where everything is. My to do list is growing and growing.
I know that feeling very well. And it won't stop for a while, I'm afraid. However, once the big stuff gets knocked off the list, you'll find it much more fun.

With all due respect, I think you need to suck it up and get out there. Don't use the excuse that it's going to be windy 3 hours from now to get out of practicing docking. No, you're not going to go for a sail, or even a motor ride. But you'll gain the confidence you need to be comfortable leaving the dock.

I know it's easy for me to say, since I'm several hundred miles away. But, believe me, I've been in almost your exact situation. You're spooked, and you need to prove to yourself and your wife that everything will be OK. The best way to do that is to dock. Over, and over again. Not all of them will go well. So what? As long as you don't do significant damage, each one is a learning exercise, and you WILL get better because of it. Don't let one bad experience stop you from enjoying your new boat.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 09-03-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road

I took the CYA Intermediate Cruising Standard course last week and as part of it we had to dock a 42ft full keeled boat. He has us practice first with bouys and the dinghy anchored as a dock in a nice bay. It was good to learn how much effort it takes to start and stop a larger boat.

When it came to finally docking the thing I had to do the equivalent of the Captain Ron maneuvre in the video posted above. It took me three tries (we had an escape route) but it worked like a charm at the end.

Definitely with a larger boat figure out how you can make spring lines and prop walk work for you. Think about your spring lines in advance and rig them up for your approach. Leave lots of length.

The instructor on our trip also told us to drive it like we stole it, since it is necessary sometimes to have more weigh on than you would expect with a fully keeled boat. If you practice taking it from a reasonable speed to dead stopped in the open water you'll know how much reverse you have to give to arrest your movement.

I took out a C&C 30 earlier this summer after 10 years of no sailing experience other than my dinghy. Getting off the finger dock the first morning was mortifying (for me) as I proceeded to do a 5 - 7 point turn when the prop walk + wind spun me the wrong way coming off the dock. I didn't hit anything and took it slow and was able to turn the boat around. The second time I came out of that slip went great.

I hope you get out on the water this weekend.