upraded my 22' for a 30' and now afraid to leave the slip - Page 5 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road
Re: upraded my 22' for a 30' and now afraid to leave the slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
I know that feeling very well. And it won't stop for a while, I'm afraid. However, once the big stuff gets knocked off the list, you'll find it much more fun.

With all due respect, I think you need to suck it up and get out there. Don't use the excuse that it's going to be windy 3 hours from now to get out of practicing docking. No, you're not going to go for a sail, or even a motor ride. But you'll gain the confidence you need to be comfortable leaving the dock.

I know it's easy for me to say, since I'm several hundred miles away. But, believe me, I've been in almost your exact situation. You're spooked, and you need to prove to yourself and your wife that everything will be OK. The best way to do that is to dock. Over, and over again. Not all of them will go well. So what? As long as you don't do significant damage, each one is a learning exercise, and you WILL get better because of it. Don't let one bad experience stop you from enjoying your new boat.

Ok me and the wife went out today! we pulled her out ok and then went out on the lake to relax and got hit with 10kt winds and 1 to 3 FT waves. so then over to the other side of the marina with the dealer 50' slips. They are large though exposed at the mouth of the break waters so I could practice a bit. It was still windy. We spent about an hour practicing and I started to feel comfortable enough to try our smaller slip. One try and I got her in though that darn bowsprit almost took out our dock box at super slow speed. I forgot about the bowsprit as it sticks out almost 2' as I slowly coasted in. Other than that scare no damage.

We went a little excessive on bumpers though

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-03-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm very excited for you! Yeah, I can see how you could forget about that thingy - WOW, it really hangs out there!

So, that must be a HUGE relief. Sure, the bowsprit caused you some grief, but that's a lesson learned, and since nothing was harmed, it was an easy one.

Again, congrats! BTW, I'm also jealous that you get to go sailing during the week!
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-04-2013
Captain S/V Triumph

DougSabbag is on a distinguished road

Just do it. Go as slow as possible. But do it as often as possible. You will not get any better at it if you don't do it, and that is guaranteed.

Your wife wants to go out sailing! Take her out.
Old 09-04-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road

A couple weeks ago I'm hanging out at a marina and in comes this forty foot plus Island Packet. Wind was up and he was sailing under head sail alone. He sails into the marina turns the boat, furls the head sail and then turns on the engine as the boat is losing momentum. He then proceeds to dock the boat, by himself. All done in one try. Impressive!

One of the local schools offers a one day or half day docking course. It's a couple hundred dollars. The local charter company that rents out Island Packets won't rent you a boat unless you can show them you can dock it. They too offer a course. Having an expert show you how it is done is money well spent. And, in your case it's really beyond money well spent as the docking fear/inexperience is keeping you from sailing. Find a school, take the course. Also, learn how to dock it single handed.

Past that, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!

Last edited by TJC45; 09-04-2013 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road

You aren't alone!

I upgraded from dingy sailing to a 28.5 cruiser this summer. With the dingy, you put the sails up at the dock, get on the boat, and either shove yourself off or have someone on the dock shove you away. No engine, no docking drama. The only hitch is when your exit is straight into the wind.

My first day backing my new Pearson out of my slip by myself I discovered how poorly dingy sailing had prepared me for docking under power. While backing out slowly prop walk and the wind spun the bow at a 20 degree angle in the slip in the opposite direction I needed the turn the boat. Not expecting this, there was quite a bit of panic and emergency correction and the experience was enough to spook me badly about backing out of my slip, particularly in wind. (I still get such a lump of fear at the dock that I sometimes have to sit on the boat and walk through how I'm getting out for while, then sit down and calm down before we untie.)

I've since learned this behavior is characteristic of my boat at slow speeds and I need to either use a huge burst of power in reverse or find some way to control the bow. I prefer to go slow, so I've hooked a carabiner on the buddy lines between the pilings. When we back out, the person at the bow loops a rope through the carabiner on the windward buddy line and uses this line to hold the bow steady as we back out the slip. We then back up straight until I have enough room to make a sharp left into the fairway and out toward open water.

Practice, practice, practice is right, and I have gotten better in the month I've owned the boat. I am still going to hire a docking instructor from one of the sailing schools because I want to have this down cold and get rid of my anxiety at the dock.

Good luck and you are not alone! E.
Old 09-07-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I thought one was supposed to dock this way...under sail!

Motor in?!?!?! what is a motor?

Marty

ps.

PRACTICE! with and with out said iron genny etc!

I went from a 12' no motor to this boat, with 25 yrs in between.......

did anyone say practice!
Old 09-07-2013

dan8152 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcentar View Post
You aren't alone!

I upgraded from dingy sailing to a 28.5 cruiser this summer. With the dingy, you put the sails up at the dock, get on the boat, and either shove yourself off or have someone on the dock shove you away. No engine, no docking drama. The only hitch is when your exit is straight into the wind.

My first day backing my new Pearson out of my slip by myself I discovered how poorly dingy sailing had prepared me for docking under power. While backing out slowly prop walk and the wind spun the bow at a 20 degree angle in the slip in the opposite direction I needed the turn the boat. Not expecting this, there was quite a bit of panic and emergency correction and the experience was enough to spook me badly about backing out of my slip, particularly in wind. (I still get such a lump of fear at the dock that I sometimes have to sit on the boat and walk through how I'm getting out for while, then sit down and calm down before we untie.)

I've since learned this behavior is characteristic of my boat at slow speeds and I need to either use a huge burst of power in reverse or find some way to control the bow. I prefer to go slow, so I've hooked a carabiner on the buddy lines between the pilings. When we back out, the person at the bow loops a rope through the carabiner on the windward buddy line and uses this line to hold the bow steady as we back out the slip. We then back up straight until I have enough room to make a sharp left into the fairway and out toward open water.

Practice, practice, practice is right, and I have gotten better in the month I've owned the boat. I am still going to hire a docking instructor from one of the sailing schools because I want to have this down cold and get rid of my anxiety at the dock.

Good luck and you are not alone! E.

Wind...

Yea I just finally sold my Catalina 22 the other day and had to delivery it across the marina to the new owner. I was alone and it was a bit windy. I thought "well not as bad as my 30' footer" so I shoved off and next thing I know the bow is 180deg the wrong way and I'm drifting into boats on the other side. My c22 has delayed steerage in reverse for some time do to the outboard. I calmed myself down and started doing "spurts" with the engine in forward and reverse and next thing I know I'm in control though slowly. I still need lots of practice
jimgo likes this.
Old 09-08-2013

boz86 is on a distinguished road

Only thing to add is pay attention to wind, tide, and current. What works one day may not the next.

Normally our slip is very protected, but last Saturday we had 12-15 knot winds directly perpendicular to our slip. It's a finger pier. Enough wind that as soon as I relaxed the lines the boat pushed to the other side. Add in a spouse who's a little uncomfortable with a bigger (31, but bigger than her previous power boats) and I'm essentially single handed. And I prefer it that way, less tension and no expectations.

Took my time getting out. Managed to get tangled with the fender and the post for a while. Didn't help that we found the perfect day and time to leave the marina on Labor Day weekend and were working in with everyone else leaving.

Coming back all that wind that made for a fun sail was still pushing us sideways relative to the pier. I told the wife that I'd try to back in but I might have to put us bow in. Bow in makes boarding a pain at high tide. She said, "You're still going to try to back in, right? Not trying isn't like you."

Factor the wind, everyone coming back as sunset approached, prop walk, etc, and I wasn't getting it. Finally reminded myself that the definition of insanity is trying something over and over and expecting a different result.

Nosed into the wind, let it push us into the slip, just worked the lines. Gracious? No. Elegant? No. Got it in one? No. God's gift to sailing? Oh, no way!

But we did, wife not stressed, boat in slip, fun day.

Here's the slips. Wind was from behind the camera.