Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013

LaurenceU is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to LaurenceU
Re: Going ashore while on the hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch View Post
I consider anchoring to be the most important skill one needs to learn for cruising (do sailing schools teach anchoring?).
I don't know about US sailing schools.... I have done formal training in UK under RYA (day skipper and coastal skipper) and nothing practical on anchoring techniques was included. My knowledge (or lack of) is down to experience and reading.
Old 08-28-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogwatch:1080788
I consider anchoring to be the most important skill one needs to learn for cruising (do sailing schools teach anchoring?). You should consider your anchors (multiple) as your primary pieces of safety equipment. You should try to inspect your anchor with mask and snorkel before going ashore. You should consider the direction both the wind and tidal currents set your boat and how it will set when the winds and tides change. This will often require two anchors. With only one anchor, I would feel uneasy leaving my boat out of sight for very long.
I took ASA courses and they did in fact teach/practice anchoring. But, while I am confident I know how to properly set the anchor, all the things mentioned by others in this thread worry me. What if someone tripped my anchor while I'm ashore. What if my weather forecast was incorrect and the wind shifted, or maybe I made a mistake with the forecast. It seems so many things could go wrong while ashore, yet I read/see so many people go ashore confidently leaving no one aboard. I think it's one of many issues I worry about when it finally comes time to cruise myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 08-28-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

You do the best you can, and hope for the best. You can mitigate the risk of others' fouling you by anchoring away from the nicer/more convenient spots (kinda like parking your cherry 57 Chev at the outer edge of the mall parking lot)

But it's not realistic to stay on the boat all the time.. the shore excursions are/should be a large part of the reason you're doing what your doing. So you do you best, and hope...
CaribDream likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 08-28-2013

CaribDream is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster:1080804
... (kinda like parking your cherry 57 Chev at the outer edge of the mall parking lot)
I am definitely "that" guy. My wife hates it lol. Of course, it seems that no mattter how far out and away from others I park, someone parks right on top of me. Probably the same goes on in anchorages...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-28-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I like the idea of an app that will report when the boat swings, even when I'm not aboard. That shouldn't be that hard to write (if it doesn't exist already), but you'll need to leave a GPS aboard that has good visibility, good battery, and make sure you have good connectivity at both ends.

Hmmm...I wonder if there's a way to set this up to broadcast over VHF. Yeah, you'd have to bring another device with you, but it would work wherever you are (provided you're within your boat's VHF broadcast range).
1975 Albacore 15

Old 08-28-2013

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
It depends
What are the winds and the sea state?

If its less than ideal, we don't go ashore. Especially in the first day. If we've been anchored and faced hi winds, chop, current switches for a few days then it's not such a worry.

The bigger worry is the other guy. Hard to plan for all contingencies. Sometimes sh!t happens. You can minimize but not eliminate the risk.

And regarding the tying to shore. That's a false sense of security in my mind. What if the wind shifts to the beam? The anchor has much more pull in that way. You cannot swing to the wind and current. Only good in very settled, protected spots.
Old 08-28-2013
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceU View Post
I don't know about US sailing schools.... I have done formal training in UK under RYA (day skipper and coastal skipper) and nothing practical on anchoring techniques was included. My knowledge (or lack of) is down to experience and reading.
At the US Sailing school I went to, anchoring was taught in each level: Keelboat, Basic Cruising, and Bareboat, as each boat range had different equipment and expectations. The keelboats aren't rented overnight, so the anchoring mostly focussed on dropping the hook for lunch, while the bareboat classes required that we anchor overnight somewhere and set an anchor alarm.
CaribDream likes this.
Old 08-28-2013

luck66 is on a distinguished road

Anchoring out is scary, like most things we do the first time. Do it a few times in your local area, and like all new things you grow into it, and all the what if's will fade. Do your homework and have fun.
Old 08-28-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribDream View Post
Is it just time before one feels comfortable and stops incessantly worrying about this? How do you get over the anxiety of worrying about the boat while ashore?
Just don't be stupid about it.

Drop the pick pull it in and then go to shore and have a life.

If the wind is blowing 25 knots or more when you first arrive then inspect your brain and it will tell you to stay on the boat for that night. The next night in the same wind you are fine to go ashore.

Just because you (and lots of people) read all sorts of horror stories on the internet don't start to believe them! 99.999999999999% of 'watch out this will happen to YOU' will NOT happen to you.

Go have fun and don't worry

Last edited by MarkofSeaLife; 08-28-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-28-2013
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

One of the lesser joys of cruising ?

I know I hate being too far away when we are achored even though I've never dragged when away from the boat.

One thing I know, I'd not be leaving an anchored boat in anything other than a well sheltered anchorage. To do so if anchored in an open roadstead seems the height of folly to me.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Tags
anchoring going ashore

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.