SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Going ashore while on the hook (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/103047-going-ashore-while-hook.html)

CaribDream 08-28-2013 10:56 AM

Going ashore while on the hook

As I contemplate a future life aboard for 6 months at a time, one thing that constantly enters my mind is leaving the boat on the hook. Anchor alarms and other methods are fine while aboard, but the thought of dragging while ashore always worries me.

Is it just time before one feels comfortable and stops incessantly worrying about this? How do you get over the anxiety of worrying about the boat while ashore?

Vasco 08-28-2013 11:51 AM

Re: Going ashore while on the hook

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaribDream (Post 1080717)

Is it just time before one feels comfortable and stops incessantly worrying about this? How do you get over the anxiety of worrying about the boat while ashore?

You don't. But good ground tackle helps.

nodders 08-28-2013 11:56 AM

There are anchor alarm apps that will send notifications of dragging to your IPhone. Personally, I don't know anything about them other than the fact that they exist!

CaribDream 08-28-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodders:1080746
There are anchor alarm apps that will send notifications of dragging to your IPhone. Personally, I don't know anything about them other than the fact that they exist!

Makes sense, but in my mind the problem would be getting back in time. For instance, you went for a hike or something of the sort.

Yorksailor 08-28-2013 12:00 PM

We have a 122lb Rochna on 7/16 4G chain usually at a scope of 7 to 10 to 1 and dive on the anchor. We also prefer the stern pointing out to sea so the boat does not go ashore.

We have dragged once in 1000 days at anchor and that was in 50 knots!

sawingknots 08-28-2013 12:13 PM

I doubt anyone is ever completely at ease leaving their boat for any great amount of time

blowinstink 08-28-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 1080770)
I doubt anyone is ever completely at ease leaving their boat for any great amount of time

I heard Linn an Larry Pardey say that they will leave there boat on the hook for as long as 6 months with a 2 anchor setup with a swivel in the middle. Kinda hard to consider that "on-the-hook" though. There are definitely places and bottoms where I feel more comfortable than others.

LaurenceU 08-28-2013 12:26 PM

Good question and I am interested in others responses. For me:
  • mooring to a single point with one anchor is least favourable. Though I can test and ensure it is holding well to resist the prevailing weather direction if the weather changes it may cause the anchor to break out and not re-set.
  • If anchored this way I will never be far from my yacht and will be very conscious of any changes in weather direction.
  • A fixed point mooring give much more peace of mind. But even picking up a mooring, I will dive on it to check the lines and give me confidence that I can go ashore for any extended time.
  • In the med we commonly lie to a bow anchor and tie the stern back to the shore with lines secured to rocks, trees etc. this Mediterranean moor gives much more peace of mind should there be a weather change.
  • I am aware of other anchoring schemes using multiple anchors such as Bahamian moor but not had to use these.
I am used to conditions where there will be a weather direction change. Generally this is predictable as a sea/land breeze system and I will make sure I am in attendance when the new wind comes in.

Faster 08-28-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawingknots (Post 1080770)

I think there's truth in the above.

It comes down to making sure you're well set, and the local conditions. From your username it looks like you're heading for the Caribbean, I think it's a bit easier there where you're most often pulling off the beach in a lee harbour, it's shallow and clear enough to dive and check your set (as mentioned above). Sometimes the hike allows you at least occasional glimpses of your boat so you can keep an eye out.

In other areas where tides and winds can frequently shift it's a bit more of an issue, I think.

Overall probably the bigger problem, esp in popular anchorages, is the risk of someone coming in and anchoring too close, improperly, or worst, tripping your anchor and setting you free. So we're back to the above quote...

Frogwatch 08-28-2013 12:30 PM

I consider anchoring to be the most important skill one needs to learn for cruising (do sailing schools teach anchoring?). You should consider your anchors (multiple) as your primary pieces of safety equipment. You should try to inspect your anchor with mask and snorkel before going ashore. You should consider the direction both the wind and tidal currents set your boat and how it will set when the winds and tides change. This will often require two anchors. With only one anchor, I would feel uneasy leaving my boat out of sight for very long.