Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2013
Been there, done that...

ericb760 is on a distinguished road
Re-learning the basics. Need advice!

Evening!

I recently bought my second sailboat, a 1969 S&S Yankee Dolphin. My first boat, a 1977 San Juan 24, was set up for racing when I got it and learned on it. It had a traveller on the deck and all lines led aft through blocks and clutches. I did have to go forward to hank the jib and to thread the main in to the mast. My new boat has absolutely nothing. Nada. Zip. All halyards are on the mast and there aren't even blocks, cars, or tracks for them on the deck. I can't really figure out how the PO even sailed with an unfurled jib or genoa as there is nowhere to guide the sheets aft. The only thing on deck are two eyepads set at mid-boat. But to use these with a block and jib sheet means coming in real tight just aft of the stays. I would like to install tracks and blocks for jib sheets just forward of the winches but I really don't know enough about sailing or about this boat to know the proper placement. I'm not really looking to have everything lead aft, I just want to sail the boat but am confused at even how to do this at this point. Any advice? Sorry for the ramble....
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-29-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road
Re: Re-learning the basics. Need advice!

Here is a link with some pics of the genoa track on the gunnel and the working jib track near the cabin. it will depend on what sails you have to fly as to which location you need. if you do not have the genoa track and just pad eyes on the deck then it is most likely you only have a working jib.
Dolphin24.org - A Web site For Dolphin Owners and Others Interested in this Classic Design
Old 08-29-2013

idmandiri is on a distinguished road
Re: Re-learning the basics. Need advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
Here is a link with some pics of the genoa track on the gunnel and the working jib track near the cabin. it will depend on what sails you have to fly as to which location you need. if you do not have the genoa track and just pad eyes on the deck then it is most likely you only have a working jib.
thank you, I learned a lot from what you give it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook