Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2013
Learning a bit every day

FinallySailing is on a distinguished road
Re: Any Advice On Yachting Courses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
Wow, thanks for the info! The university sailing club meets at Foremark Reservoir which is a bit closer to Loughborough and much smaller, but I'll have to visit Rutland Water some time. It looks great! The only problem is that it's about 3 hours away on my pushbike if I can't get a lift, assuming I don't get lost. 10 hours by bus (according to Google). I failed my driving test so can't drive yet
Just checked the trainline ... 51 minutes from Loughborough via Leicester to Oakham. Take your bike on the train
to seek out some far foreign shore

From "The Seafarer", an Anglo-Saxon 10th century manuscript.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2013
Learning a bit every day

Lots of cycling around Rutland Water as well. Sorry, but I really, really love this place !

Old 09-15-2013

Alasdair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallySailing View Post
Lots of cycling around Rutland Water as well. Sorry, but I really, really love this place !
Yes, it sounds really nice- another good reason to live in Loughborough! I'll have to visit it when I get there. What sailing schools/ sailing places can you recommend at Rutland?

Anyway, back to yachting courses, still unsure. From looking at sailing tuition websites it seems that I should still do the competent crew course, although yes, I will check out Rutland . I don't want to accidentally go on the wrong course and fall in the deep end....?
Where is the best place to learn to sail in Europe? Scotland? Skye is nice, apart from the weather, how about there? Gibraltar? Greece?
Are tides a big part of the competent crew course or is that part of other courses?

Last edited by Alasdair; 09-15-2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old 09-17-2013
Learning a bit every day

Hi again,

as mentioned before, the competent crew course doesn't really involve that much, most of it you will quickly remember from dinghy sailing. Here is a quote from the RYA website:

Pre-course experience and knowledge - none.

Course content - Knowledge of sea terms and parts of a boat, her rigging and sails, sail handling, ropework, fire precautions and fighting, personal safety equipment, man overboard, emergency equipment, meteorology, seasickness, helmsmanship, general duties, manners and customs, rules of the road, dinghies

Ability after the course - Able to steer, handle sails, keep a lookout, row a dinghy and assist in all the day to day routines

You will go through all this and far deeper in the Day Skipper. Don't forget, the complete Day Skipper is a theoretical course (evening class or guided self study) and then afterwards a practical course. Yes, this is the course where you will learn about tides, navigation, passage planing, pilotage etc.

A good sailing school (I did my VHF course with) in your new neck of the woods is Ashore Sailing
One of there venues for their theory courses is in Quorn, that is a part of Loughborough ! The Rutland Sailing Club and the Rutland Watersports Center both have practical dinghy courses, if you are interested.

This link should give you a list of Day Skipper Theory courses close to Loughborough. Have a look at the different schools and check out their venues which can be different from the main office:

Find A Training Centre | Learning | Courses & Training | RYA

Best sailing areas ? For me that is still simply wherever I have my boat. Love Rutland (where I tried Rockhopper out first), the West of Scotland was amazing (but watch out for streams/tides and the submarine training ground off Troon ), Crouch is great because it's close to where I am now living with my family. I think you'll get my idea ... I am still at a very early stage of a hopefully long and fruitfull journey ...

Old 09-17-2013

aprilsails is on a distinguished road

My husband and I just did the CYA equivalent of the Day Skipper. I have years of experience but my husband was only familiar with dinghy sailing and a few days on a charter boat in advance of taking the course.

In order to prepare for it he had to do a self study course and a lot of reading. He finished off all of it before we started on the course and while he found it challenging to learn and remember all of the information, he did manage to get his Intermediate certification.

We did the course on one of the Great Lakes that I sailed extensively many many years ago. It will likely be a part of our cruising grounds if we decide to buy a boat. I also felt more comfortable in the area since I know the weather patterns and general conditions.

Good luck finding a school and have fun!
Old 09-17-2013

Alasdair is on a distinguished road

This sailing school sounds very nice and has a very good reputation: RYA Yachting and Sailing Courses in Southern Spain and Gibraltar
I think that might be where I go. The course has a mixture of the atlantic and the Med becaus it's Gibraltar. They seem very helpful. This is part of the email they sent me when I asked for more info:
"...Our general sailing itinerary is very much based on both the weather and the requirements / skills of the crew on board.
During the week we will visit at least
4 different ports / harbours
mainland Spain / Spanish enclave Ceuta in North Africa and
usually Marina Smir in Morocco
I cannot guarantee exactly what order these are done but it is only the most extreme of weather that prevents us from doing this and giving our students a varied week.
We also sail in excess of the RYA minimum of 100 sea miles - usually around 130/140
Each single student gets their own double cabin - only couples sharing
fresh bedding - duvets not the dreaded sleeping bag
personal towel if required to save on luggage space
free loan of wet weather clothing - useful in summer months for the night hours
safety and navigation equipment as standard
all breakfasts, lunches and snacks
no scrimping on drinking water
the makings of 2 or 3 evening meals in the summer months - dependent upon crew requests.
All in all we deliver what we believe is value for money and no corners cut.
We aim to give you small classes - if we have 3 individuals then the yacht is full at NO additional charge..." That sounds good.

I also found this useful website: Learn To Sail - Sailing School Reviewer Has Reviews of Sailing Schools

Last edited by Alasdair; 09-17-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2013

Uricanejack is on a distinguished road

appoligies for recomending another forum but try the yachting monthly forum there are several RYA instructors who post regularly including one from Gibralta.

I used to be a CYA intsructor and taught many people from scratch no expierience at all to the basic level which was intended to provide minimum knowladge and expierince to be able to skipper a sail boat up to 32(why not 33ft?) in fammiliar waters by day.

I believe the RYA day skipper is simmillar.

With dingy expierience you will catch on pretty quickly.

Aditionaly its worth doing a basic navigation course by night shool or corespondence I believe on line is popular nowadays.