Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013

oborseth is on a distinguished road
Question about boats with two rolling furlers.

Hello. When looking at sailing magazines, the bigger boats in ads will often have two rolling furlers for head sails. Sometimes the foremost headsail is out and I'm trying to figure out how one would change tacks in that situation. The sail would have to pass in front of the rolling furler that is behind it and it seems to me that it would be next to impossible without rolling the sail up and then unrolling it again on the other side. Are the sails used only when you know you will be on the same tack for a long period of time and therefor not have to change tacks often?

Thanks,
Owen
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-13-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Question about boats with two rolling furlers.

There are two different setups that you'll see in these photos.

The common and classic one would be a cutter rig. In this case there is a jib or genoa forward and a staysail that is multiple feet behind it. To tack those the jib or genoa has to be skirted around the staysail. It's annoying in tight quarters, so this configuration is more common on large cruising boats. A friend has a beautiful cutter that we've "raced" in the local beer can race, and we have to take the course really wide because the tacks take us longer.

A modern alternative is to have a Code 0 or asymmetrical spinnaker on a forward furler and the genoa on the rear furler. Since the Code 0/Asym are only used off the wind they aren't tacked, only jybed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alex W For This Useful Post:
oborseth (10-14-2013)
Old 10-13-2013

Stumble is on a distinguished road

Alex,

Code Zero's are upwind (about 40 degrees apparent) and reaching (up to 90 degrees) asymmetric spinnakers they are not off wind sails. With these set ups, the intent is to roll up the sail, tack the boat, then unroll it on the new side.

They are primarily intended for off shore sailing, when you won't be short tacking the boat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stumble For This Useful Post:
oborseth (10-14-2013)
Old 10-13-2013

azguy is on a distinguished road

Thanks, good question, I've wondered this as well--
Old 10-13-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Stumble, thanks for that idea. My "jib" is actually more like a genoa. It's pretty big, and tacking it can be a real pain. It seems to get hung up fairly often. If I partially furl it first, that might help.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-13-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

There's also the solent rig, with a genny on the headstay and a smaller headsail on the inner stay (quite close ).. this allows easy and complete transition from large to small headsail without resorting to partially rolled sails. In this case there's nothing for it but to roll up the larger sail in order to tack.. but that's not required for the inner sail. Sometimes the inner stay is removable/stowable to help out on that score.

I think it's mosty intended as a cruising rig where frequent tacking would not be necessarily expected. Bob Perry's Sagas are rigged like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgo View Post
Stumble, thanks for that idea. My "jib" is actually more like a genoa. It's pretty big, and tacking it can be a real pain. It seems to get hung up fairly often. If I partially furl it first, that might help.
Jim, I think you'll tire of rolling and unrolling.. problems tacking are usually due to technique, or presence of a baby stay.. much easier to install a larger diameter sleeve (3-4 feet of 2" PVC pipe eg) over the babystay to facilitate sliding by than to work the furler on every tack...
jimgo likes this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 10-13-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-14-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

Thanks Ron, that's a good idea too.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-14-2013

Trigger is on a distinguished road

Hi I'm looking to install a rolling furler on a 240 Hunter what do you recommend also how does the jib attach the current set up has clips that attach to the front guide cable
Old 10-14-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road

Trigger: Furling sails use a luff tape instead of hanks. If your current jib isn't in near new condition you'll find that you'll likely want to just replace the whole thing. The cost of changing the hanks to a luff tape and adding a UV cover or sock is about one third to half the cost of a new sail.

On a 24' boat I'd suggest using the hank-on sails for a while. They work well and are pretty easy to handle on a smaller boat.

Stumble: Thanks for the correction on the Code0.

Last edited by Alex W; 10-14-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-14-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
Hi I'm looking to install a rolling furler on a 240 Hunter what do you recommend also how does the jib attach the current set up has clips that attach to the front guide cable
Trigger.. your current setup has 'clips' called 'hanks'... the front guide cable is called the forestay.

Here's a shot of how a luff tape jib slides into the rolling extrusion's slot.. as you can see the forestay is covered with the furling apparatus, the sail slides into the groove and is hoisted up.. the black swivel allows you to roll up the sail without wrapping the halyard around everything.

There are other furling setups that might work well on your boat and be much less expensive. We had a 24 footer with the stay itself swiveling on a furling drum, using a zipper luff sail and internal halyard. Works well for smaller boats as long as all you want is a furler.. such a setup is not intended to be used to reef the headsail.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)