Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2001

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Sailing Classes

BTW welcome to the over 50 crowd. I did that in 2000. I really hated getting AARP advertisments but boy are the AARP discounts on rental cars super.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2002

Kaddis is on a distinguished road
Sailing Classes

I have been internet shopping also for a sailing school. I am seriously considering one conducted in the BVI for 7 days by Womanship. I also am 50+. I thought learning to sail in such a WARM location sounded like a vacation and a learning experience all in one. I am from the cold midwest and need a little warmth and sunshine. I am interested in the information you receive.
Old 01-03-2002

jpd4652 is on a distinguished road
Sailing Classes

Thanks Jeff_H for the info on the schools. I have never sailed before so whichever school really starts at the beginning would probably be best for me. I''m really nervous about it too.
Old 01-04-2002

lklk33 is on a distinguished road
Sailing Classes

Try this one, they have a good line up of cruises. www.sailing-learning-vacations.com
There are women only sails.
Louise
Old 01-04-2002

lklk33 is on a distinguished road
Sailing Classes

I just posted this one, but noticed your ad. www.sailing-learning-vacations.com has some sails scheduled for the BVI and I think one or two of them are Women only sails. Although that''s not all they offer. They have a decent website that is easily to get around.
Old 03-31-2002

greatwhiteway is on a distinguished road
Sailing Classes

Bellinghan WA. has a School they sail around the San Juan Islands,A great place to sail,
in the Seattle area on Lake Union I''m sure you"ll find a couple schools. Get use to the Rain and Gray Skys!!!
Old 05-21-2002

yellojeepgirl is on a distinguished road
Sailing Classes

I know this seems weird, but I''m reaching for help here to wherever I may or may not be able to find it.
My mother began sailing through womanship, which I''ve seen on your site. She loved it. She loved it so much that she got her captain''s license then went back to Annapolis to work for womanship. She worked for them and was owed $1400. It''s her birthday, and she has no home nor address. She''s living out of her car. So, she told my brother and I to send her her presents to womanship and she would pick them up along with her paycheck. Today is now her birthday and she went to get her presents and her paycheck, which should have been there last week. But a woman, Suzanne Pogel (who owns the company), stole it all. Now she has no money and no presents on her birthday. It''s her first birthday away from us and we miss her. I have receipts for the packages, but no insurance. This is horrible! What kind of person would do such a thing? If anyone could help me, I would appreciate it so much. My mother''s life has been more than a tough one, and she was finally balancing out and beginning to be happy. Now, because of this woman, she only has $20 to her name and no presents. Suzanne won''t take my calls, and we have no money for a lawyer. Does anyone know what I can do? Please. I''m desperate.
Sincerely,
Stephanie Parker
Old 05-21-2002
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Sailing Classes

Seems you''ve skipped one step. Assuming there is "theft" involved, call the Annapolis Police Department at 410-268-9000. That is probably the best advice anyone here could give you based on your email.
Old 05-21-2002

MaryBeth is on a distinguished road
Sailing Classes

I agree with the above, contact the local police department. Not only that, but the city of Annapolis is home to at least a few maritime lawyer firms. Try contacting one of those, someone may be able to put your mom in touch with a legal aid society they could work in conjunction with. From personal experience, there is never a case when you cannot afford a lawyer, there are more than enough aid societies willing to take on a deserving case. Other than that, contact the Better Business Bureau and the local Equal Employment office and file complaints. First, tho, have your mom call the police on them.

Tho I''m sure we don''t know the whole story, I feel for your mom. While I have no experience with Womanship, I have more than a couple of friends who worked for SunSail in the mid nineties and were totally, um, screwed with absolutely no recompense because of the incorrect filing of their working papers and such.

I sincerely hope your mother gets this straightened out. If she does have her captain''s license, maybe a good private owner will pick her up.

Best of luck,
MaryBeth