Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: stabilizing the boat?

I bought my Albacore for $100 including the trailer. It is similar in design to the Americans. If you have the towing capacity, a Diller Schwill 16 is nice, as are some of the O'Day daysailers. They have a small cabin which your daughter could use for naps and to get out of the sun. There are others like that, too (I would have gone that route, but most are in the 17'-19' range, and my local lake only allows up to 16'). Keep looking, you'll find something.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-11-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj007 View Post
I may end up just fixing it up a bit and selling it. I only have 400 bucks in it right now. That was for everything including a trailer with new lights. I was hoping to sail cheap. I really like the west wight but that is not a 400 dollar boat... I want something dirt cheap that my family can enjoy... I can fix ugly but it needs to work. This little fj looked like the best deal for 400 bucks and had almost everything.
Defeated before you even try?

Even big boats get wet FJ. A dingy is a good way to find out if the wife and daughter like sailing. Protecting them and yourself from getting wet "going over" (with proper safety gear) won't work. Fear is not a good teacher. knowledge is.
Sailing With Kids
Lou452 likes this.

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to deniseO30 For This Useful Post:
Lou452 (12-13-2013)
Old 12-11-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

I would not give up on that boat either. I have three grown daughters and 6 grand kids. I find at under 4 years of age they have no interest in sailing and their attention is on what ever they feel. It's against the law to tie a kid down, someone will have to hold her all the time on a boat that small. Get a sitter and enjoy the learning to sail.
Old 12-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

Denise, the boat in the first video is very different from the FJ, and the kids in both videos are much older than 2. I don't disagree that keeping the FJ is an option, but as a practical matter, with a 2 year old, it's not the best choice. If she was 6 or 8, that would be different; that's about the age where they start to be more interested in the boat. I agree with Delta-T, though - if FJ can afford to get a sitter, then that may be the best of both worlds. Getting out on the water inexpensively, getting some alone time with his wife, and getting both of them experience sailing.
Delta-T likes this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 12-11-2013
Asleep at the wheel

BTW, if you decide to sell, or even to get more FJ-specific info, check out:
International Flying Junior Organisation

Denise, this is what one looks like:
Lou452 and Delta-T like this.
1975 Albacore 15

Old 12-11-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

I know the girl is 2 but she will be 3 soon and 5 in a couple of years! FJ is your Mrs keen on sailing at all? (she's the key) Maybe an old Hobie cat would be a good choice!

my current "project"!
Old 12-11-2013
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I had a Sunfish clone for a few years, and now an FJ for a season. I sailed dinghys a bit in sailing school. I am not that great of a sailor, and have never capsized any of those boats by mistake. If you pay attention and keep your hand on the tiller and the mainsheet, you should be able to keep her upright. Granted, the FJ has a pretty powerful rig for a boat that size. Just pick easy days for taking your daughter out (bring a paddle, don't buy a motor). Find another dinghy sailor to take out on frisky days. BTW, I don't think the FJ would sail very well on the main alone. Couple other ideas: You could have reefing points put in the sail. You could also find sails for a smaller dinghy and run them on windier days. We would go out with the sails from our 12' dinghies, bent-on to the 20' sloops in heavy weather. The trick would be finding (or installing) slugs that match the FJ mast. However, I really don't think either of these ideas is the way to go. I would just leave it be, and learn to sail the FJ as-is.

Last edited by Barquito; 12-11-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2013

fj007 is on a distinguished road

guys i really appreciate all the help and replies. thank you all so much for taking the time to comment. I want to take it out sailing and get a feel for it. I want to try and find a cheap boom vang somewhere, since mine didnt come with one. 73 bucks sounds like a lot for a couple blocks and some rope.. I know some blocks are 150 or more just by them selves. crazy. I dunno, being a car guy i understand quality parts are gonna cost more, but it does not seem like these little pullys should be costing this much haha oh well. really though i appreciate all your guys help. i will take it out once its warms up and see how it goes. thanks everybody
jimgo and Delta-T like this.
Old 12-12-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road

Welcome to boating! That black hole in the water you throw money at. The bigger the boat the bigger the hole.

Sounds like you will be keeping the boat! That's great! You might find used equipment for cheap. Craigslist is a good place to start looking. I'm sure others here can help you find what you need.

Are you sailing fresh or salt waters?

Fave fun!
Old 12-12-2013

fj007 is on a distinguished road

I will be sailing at lake jacomo, just outside of kansas city missouri. I am stationed at whiteman air force base. Who knows where I will go next. It looks like they race sweet 16s out there a lot, I drove out to the marina today and they had a ton of boats in dry storage, more than I was expecting. They offer a 3 day sailing class in the spring, its a little spendy but it might be worth doing to give me the best chance of keeping the boat upright. and getting a much better understanding of how to sail.

On that note, My wife and I have been discussing the topic of boat names and the likely hood of it tipping. The deck and inside are currently a tired faded blue color with a white hull. The old blue will get repainted yellow and we are naming the boat "Sunny Side Up" seems appropriate.