Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road
Re: stabilizing the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj007 View Post
we are naming the boat "Sunny Side Up" seems appropriate.
That's a great name! Good call on the lessens, You will enjoy sailing much better with that knowledge. I hope that includes the wife? Nothing better than to have someone else competent on board.

You can always ask if they have a military discount, can't hurt to ask. Look for a local club that sails that style. Many are willing to help you learn. Also, poke around u-tube, lots of help there and something you can do now. https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ailing+fj&sm=3

Last edited by Delta-T; 12-12-2013 at 06:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road

I agree, classes are a great idea. Good way for you both to see if you like sailing.

Thank you for your service, and please thank your wife for her support, too.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-12-2013
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

FJ = Great boat
FJ <> Family boat (unless it's a really competitive family with active teenagers that can swim)

Want to take the youngen? look for a fixed leaded keel, its not a guarantee that bad things wont' happen, but it'll keep you upright more consistently.
Old 12-12-2013

overbored is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj007 View Post
I will be sailing at lake jacomo, just outside of kansas city missouri. I am stationed at whiteman air force base. Who knows where I will go next. It looks like they race sweet 16s out there a lot, I drove out to the marina today and they had a ton of boats in dry storage, more than I was expecting. They offer a 3 day sailing class in the spring, its a little spendy but it might be worth doing to give me the best chance of keeping the boat upright. and getting a much better understanding of how to sail.

On that note, My wife and I have been discussing the topic of boat names and the likely hood of it tipping. The deck and inside are currently a tired faded blue color with a white hull. The old blue will get repainted yellow and we are naming the boat "Sunny Side Up" seems appropriate.
Great name but not a good color for the inside. light gray or blue is best for the sun reflection. yellow and white are the worst. yellow shows all the imperfections and the dirt and aids in getting a sunburn. expensive but the best is Zolatone most likely what it was painted with from the factory.
20 Series
Old 12-13-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road

Just keep in mind that half the fun of sailing a dingy is getting wet. If you don't want to get wet then a day sailor is likely a better choice. I grew up sailing on dinghies and it was a blast, not high performance like yours though, just a beat up old sunfish and a Styrofoam boat my friends father won from Kool cigarettes. When we got hot, we would capsize and go swimming, then rite the boat and go on our way. Loads of fun for those who are good swimmers.

But since you have it I would say sail it for a year at least before making any decisions. Sailing can be a lot like owning a race car, lots of expensive parts and you always want to improve something. But there is nothing wrong with just keeping it simple and having fun. Kind of like in Autocross stick to the stock classes and you can have a lot of fun with your daily driver without going crazy overboard!
deniseO30 and Lou452 like this.
Old 12-13-2013

ajoliver is on a distinguished road

Agree that the FJ is not for you. But if you do keep it, flotation to the mast head is a good safety mod. Yes, you will totally get wet.
deniseO30 likes this.
Old 12-13-2013
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

boats are really really cheap now. look around. search cl ... it will come. good luck
Old 12-13-2013

paulk is on a distinguished road

For stability you need heavy. Heavy generally means bigger, and bigger means more money most of the time. Even a Lightning (19' with a 150 pound steel centerboard) can capsize if you don't know what you're doing in a good breeze. A small keelboat might be more expensive, but will definitely be more stable. We acquired a Pearson Resolute for our first family boat, for about what you're looking to spend. It was old, from the '60's, but essentially indestructible. (That's how it got to be so old.) It had bench seats in a huge cockpit, enough sail to move it when there was wind, and a big enough transom for a small motor when there wasn't. We felt secure enough to take our 6-week old out in it. A Daysailor (keel version) or Ensign would be similar, and you might be able to find one of these around that needed some paint for not much more than your FJ. The sense of security a keel provides can be priceless.
deniseO30 likes this.
Old 12-13-2013
Lies about her age

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

small boats = getting wet. for many years I was into canoe tripping in the adirondacks. maine a couple of times.. yes getting wet is part of the fun! except maybe the time... :O

my current "project"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-14-2013
sunfish?junior?

Lou452 is on a distinguished road

I think 007 is off to a good start ! The FJ is a good little boat. He found this one for a low price. A little boat . A little fix, little $ and when you bang it up break that part on the rig or drag the bottom It is only a small problem and expense. Who would want to start with a new large boat and end up with a small wallet ? Notice I said when... not if you bang it up.
Who buys a dirt bike an expects not to dump. If you sail you will or at least from the little I have seen and even heard talk of you will break gear.
I use my FJ in two small lakes. I can not get the Catalina in those two lakes. The FJ has been a great teacher.
My wife started with one rule dump me over and it is over. I think now the rule has been amended ? We started her on a sunfish. I sail very different when she is with me. Now she took a class. The bug has bitten The wind now calls her name and she hears it. 007 will do the same I am sure. He is smart He will start slow make a mistake and learn. Life is good.
Fair winds my friend 007, Lou