Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2006
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Learn to sail, don't worry about accreditation for anything unless you find yourself trying to make some money out of sailing (good luck on that...).

As to buyiong a new boat, IMHO you'd be much better off buying an older, high quality in good condition than a new boat which is poorly constructed. From what you described, I'd suggest you look at trailerable small cruisers with a centerboard/daggerboard. For example consider the S2 6.7 http://www.sail-s2.org/html/s2_6_7.html This you can keep in the backyard. For under $10K you should be able to find an upgraded, well maintained version of a boat like this, which gives you far more boat than toy boats like a Hunter 170. I'd hesitate to put a Hunter 170 into my backyard swimming pool...
Look around at boats like the S2 6.7 (better yet, the 6.7) - be willing to pay a premium for "needs nothing" examples, avoid any bargain boats, when you see something that sings to you, make an offer dependant on a marine survey to your satisfaction. The pay $400 for a high quality survey, and go from there. The more boats you look at (and sail) the more developed your eye becomes for shift the toys from the good stuff.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2006

genephares is on a distinguished road
good boat to learn

Precision 18. easy to haul /launch/retrieve. I use a subaru legacy wagon and take it easy. has a cabin for 2 to overnite occasionally. I bought a 25 oday but I'm keeping my P-18 for daysailing. I'm land locked. go to the Precision forum. good stuff. good luck, gene
Old 03-13-2006

david333 is on a distinguished road
hunter 170

I own a H170 and love my boat! The price was perfect ($8000 included trailer, cushions, motor mount, mainsail cover), its comfortable, has a spacious cockpit (4 people comfortably), and sails in a whisper of a wind (and it appears well constructed from my experience). If trailering, the boat sets up in 20 minutes. But it may have limitations that you would want to consider given where you plan to sail it - specifically, sailing in higher wind conditions (over 15 knots), when it tends to heal up easily and can capsize if you are not paying close attention (of course reefing in anticipation of conditions helps a lot).
I have sailed CL16's and like them. I have also sailed Lasers, JY15's and Hobie16's.
A good site to check for reviews by owners, in addition to here, is sailboatowners.com (and the companion site hunterowners.com).
There are a wide variety of sailboats because there are a wide variety of sailors, ask around. Be wary of people who automatically blast a boat they may not know anything about.
Enjoy sailing!
Old 03-13-2006
Senior Nappy Headed Ho

Denr is an unknown quantity at this point
MacGregor 26, simply the best
Old 03-17-2006

mwoolley is on a distinguished road
Buy Used

I agree with most here. I too was in your shoes just last year. I got lucky and bought a 22' O'Day for $1k. The interesting thing about sailing is once you get interested your going to think "if it was only a bit bigger I could do..." That's why I'd recommend buying used. Put that $10K away for the boat you'll really want in 3 years after you've determined the size that is best for you and your family and friends. The suggestion for picking up one of those used Cal 22's is what I think you should concider. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2006
Can sail, will crew.

freezingmariner is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to freezingmariner Send a message via Skype™ to freezingmariner
Smile Tech Dinghy

I learned how to sail on Tech Dinghys (14' centerboarder, ~$6k new) and I'd say there are few better boats out there to learn sailing on. The Tech Dinghy is not a fast boat like a Laser or an FJ but it's the perfect learning boat (especially on a lake). Two people can sail in it comfortably but you can fit 3. Despite the fact it's not a speed daemon, it's a fun boat to sail. The boat has great balance and when the wind is right, sailing it rudderless is a real treat!

You know you've made it when you can do 10 tacks and 10 jibes in 18 knots winds in the dinghy. That's the requirement for receiving a helmsman rating at MIT Sailing club.

I was told that if you learn how to sail a small boat, then you can easily learn how to sail a big boat. Going the other way around is supposedly much harder. Five years and 3 bareboat charters later, I wholehearted agree.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

-DG
Old 06-11-2006

pluscard is on a distinguished road
Jason,

Do you have others that will sail with you - or will you be learning single handed. I've found the biggest problem once you choose a boat is finding crew. I bought a J/24 two years ago intending to day sail it, but found out it takes 4 hours to rig and launch - leaving little time for sailing. (would take much less time if your marina has a crane).
Turns out my boat requires a crew of 5... I'm lucky if I can find 2 victims to go with me... which can make it tough to sail flat once the wind starts to gust. I've abandoned the spinnaker for now... but I'm enjoying learning the basics of sailing with main and jib.

Will you keep your boat on the water, or do you intend to trailer it?

Plus
Old 06-25-2006

TDMModels is on a distinguished road
starter boats

Hi,

Never having sailed before and desiring to learn I wanted an
inexpensive boat that would comfortably carry 3, maybe 4 people.

I found a used Hunter 140 (14') boat complete with trailer for $2500.
I've been out six times now since June 1st and really like the boat.
Seems easy to sail. A lot of sailing schools used them.
You might want to look at one of these as an option.
There are usually some for sale on www.hunterowners.com
or www.sailingtexas.com

Terry
Old 06-26-2006
Space cadet

Jotun is on a distinguished road
They're not glamorous, but they are affordable and are good boats to learn on:

http://www.daysailer.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=17
Old 06-26-2006

pegleglouis is on a distinguished road
learing to sail., jason

You Might look into the Flying Scot also , centerboarder, stable and forgiving . esay to sail. 19ft
also the mac 26x is good, room for 4 to sleep, if you are young and agile. head, motor up to 50hp, easy to rig and trailer, just got back from a 250mile trip from Demopolis , Al, to Mobile ,al, motored on the tombigbee River, 4 days sailing Mobile bay and pensacola bay ,
I think you would want a motor if you sailed the Hudson , .
The older 26 macgregor are built more like a traditional silaboat, 26s or 26d cheaper also .
voyaged on the hudson some time ago, from Poughqipsee and thru 6 locks on the erie canal
Good Luck . Pegleglouis , 26x-1996.
Plano, Tx