Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2013

jaredsteadman is on a distinguished road
Best Option for Intensive Yachtmaster Course

Afternoon All.
I'm currently looking into taking an intensive course Yachtmaster course to learn how to sail. I have decided to start with a combined course of Day Skipper and Yatchmaster Coastal, with a view to move on to Offshore and Ocean in the future.
As you know, there are lots of companies in lots of locations that offer these courses, and as a complete novice, I'm a little lost. I'm not even sure what to look for, what differences are the between an ok course and a great one?
I will be looking to start the course in April, but I'm open to the idea of waiting if advise to do so due to the weather ect.
I much prefer the idea of 8 weeks in the sun.
I have been speaking to a company that operates from Gibraltar. The course will take me to Spain, Portugal and North Africa.
I have also considered going to the Caribbean. I'm a PADI Divemaster and would love the opportunity to dive occasionally if possible.
Any and all advice and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Jared.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-23-2014

MUSIC40 is on a distinguished road
Re: Best Option for Intensive Yachtmaster Course

I wish someone could compare all the options for training. The above ASA coast guard etc etc.

Well I imagine its been done but I'm not a good searcher -- any help?

Had some basic training then went sailing for 15 years then was out of the game for the most part for a second 15 years except a few charters and now getting back into it.

Probably not going to do anything commercial but there is a chance that down the road I may instruct or do some small boat delivery.

I think just basic is what I need now but it would sure be nice if it could be used later if I go beyond basic???
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook