Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2014

hp1xbg is on a distinguished road
New to using a slip

Well, not entirely, but new using a larger boat. I am moving up to a 30' and had a couple of questions.

When you are leaving the slip, do you usually take all the lines from the pylons on board, or do you leave them on the pylons for when you return to the slip?

I always see empty slips with the lines still hanging from the pylons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2014

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: New to using a slip

If it is your own slip many folks leave the lines on the dock as that way they are pre-set and it is easier to tie up.

It is always a good idea to have spare lines on the boat though in case you day doesn't go as planned.

If I don't have two sets I take them with me. I would never be on the boat without dock lines.
Faster, bljones, arknoah and 1 others like this.
Old 01-04-2014

sidney777 is on a distinguished road

Certainly like the above post. Also, have you had anyone tell you HOW they think you should tie to the Cleats on your boat or to the Dock? .... When I started sailing there were a lot of different opinions. a("big ships tie this way, you should not, that is a Hatchet knot, you'll need a hatchet to get it loose, little boats tie this way")... Then, I was docked near a Marine Surveyor & Racer that eventually almost drove me nuts with how & should do EVERYTHING. It seemed to be the culture of sailboaters in this marina to tell everyone how stuff should be done to the extreme. A lot of us were New and we needed telling.
Old 01-04-2014

paul323 is on a distinguished road

Personally I take the bow and stern lines with me, I leave the springer lines on shore.

How you rig the mooring lines depends on whether you tie up to a single side, or both sides. I tie up on one side, using 5 lines
- Bow and stern line
- 2 springer lines - one to bow, the other to stern
- Additional bowline to a cleat forwards, opposite the other bowline.

All the lines are tied to the cleat with a normal cleat hitch (Knot Illustration (cleat Hitch) clip art Free Vector / 4Vector), Bowlines go through the forward horn first, stern lines through the aft horn first. I finish it with a flemish coil (Panoramio - Photo of Flemish Coil) - there are pros and cons for this, but it's neat. Oh, yeah, chafe guards are good, and I always run my lines though a fairlead to the cleat on the opposite side of the boat - ropes don't like tight bends.
Old 01-04-2014

Stumble is on a distinguished road

I leave all my lines. But I have them spliced around the piling with straps in place to keep them from lifting over the piling in a storm. On the boat they are all marked for normal position so anyone even those un familure with the boat can tie up quickly and easily.

As mentioned this does require I carry an extra set of dock lines aboard, but I think of the second set as my hurricane lines anyway.
Old 01-04-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough

some of this depends on where your pilings and dockside tie-up points are. Typically I see "permanently" made fast to the pilings and dock, I like that method (with a boathook for me of course).. Why? Both casting off and tying up are quicker. and coming in, you can snag a line and use it (within limits) to correct you course or speed for those last ten feet in or so, or to stop the boat if engine stalled, etc.

How to arrange them?? Well, the ships typically don't tie up on both sides (docks, not slips, for them) so forget that. Basic principle is lines running fore and aft are "springs", to dampen/prevent longitudinal motion. Breast lines run out at right angle from side of boat to prevent lateral motion. And bow and stern lines run way forward and way aft, to points far ahead and far astern (on ships anyway). Forget this in a marina because the slips aren't long enough. So you have to compromise

Typically for our boats and slips, we have four lines out, at an angle outward from bow and stern, to the pilings or dock--they are a "spork" if you will--part breast lines, part spring lines in function. Works fine. We call these our bow lines and stern lines because thats where on the boat they are fastened. Some add "real" spring lines from (say) midship cleat to dockside fastening points fore and aft (which may be the same as where your bow and stern lines go). These "really" prevent forward and aft motion.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but I can't draw one here. So look at others' setups, imitate, and adjust to fit your individual situation. And yes, you'll get lots of advice--average it out..
Old 01-04-2014

trav365plus is on a distinguished road

Am new to using it too and found some great tips here. Thanks guys.
Old 01-04-2014
69' Coronado 25

socal c25 is on a distinguished road

Leave them at the dock and keep a spare set on the boat plus you should always have extra line with you for a tow or a raft-up etc...
Old 01-04-2014
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
If it is your own slip many folks leave the lines on the dock as that way they are pre-set and it is easier to tie up.

It is always a good idea to have spare lines on the boat though in case you day doesn't go as planned.

If I don't have two sets I take them with me. I would never be on the boat without dock lines.
Yep. What he said. My theory is to have all the lines pre-measured so that all I have to do for some lines is to place the loop around my boat cleat, and to mark the bow lines and spring lines so I know approximately where to tie them off. It really takes only a few minutes to tie up even when I singlehand, which is most of the time.

Old 01-05-2014

capecodda is on a distinguished road

Good idea to have a second set of lines if you leave your lines on the dock, just incase you don't make it home

At the home dock, we take 2, leave 2. I take the stern and spring line lead aft and back out. Coming home, if I get those same 2 lines cleated off, and power forward slowly, the boat stays put while I tie the bow and forward leading spring.
The Following User Says Thank You to capecodda For This Useful Post:
Backloop1 (03-29-2014)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.