SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Reccomendation for ASA 103/4 in NYC or MD

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  jimgo 
#1 ·
Hello,
I've searched through the forums but haven't found many particular recommendations. I'm planning a bareboat trip in the BVI in April and was hoping that I could take some ASA classes before I went down. I have a fair amount of experience sailing and am hoping to skip/challenge out of the pre reqs for ASA 103 and 104.

But I'm having trouble finding any schools near NYC that have classes listed for March or early April. Has anyone taken ASA Classes nearby nyc? I'd also be willing to travel to Annapolis if that was the closest option for this time period. Ideally the classes would get me some time on a boat longer than 40ft.

Does anyone have any idea where I should look?

thanks,
K

#2 ·
Hello,
I'd also be willing to travel to Annapolis if that was the closest option for this time period. Ideally the classes would get me some time on a boat longer than 40ft.

Does anyone have any idea where I should look?

thanks,
K
I would take a good look at the Maryland School of Sailing and Seamanship in Rock Hall, MD. They offer a full range of ASA classes and specialize in teaching cruisers. I took a 2 day docking class there and cannot say enough good things about the instructor. They teach on IPs.

Maryland School of Sailing; Chesapeake, Caribbean, Atlantic Ocean, Bermuda

Have fun!

#3 ·
Re: Recommendation for ASA 103/4 in NYC or MD

Thanks for the recommendation. As with many of the other schools I've seen, it looks like they don't have classes scheduled before May. I may contact them regardless to see if they would offer something earlier.

I guess many of the captains are down in the Caribbean or doing deliveries in march/april. Also living in nyc without a car transport to the eastern shore is a little more difficult.

Has anyone taken classes from a school near nyc?

#4 ·
Hey,

I don't think you are going to fine classes in NY in March or April because no one wants to be on the water in NY in March or April - the weather will be terrible for boating. I would surprised to fine ANY courses before June at the earliest.

Barry

#6 ·
I'd love to fly down and take courses further south. Unfortunately, with the week I already have scheduled for the BVI trip in April I can't afford to take much more time off.
I can only fit in the classes that have more of a weekend based schedule, and all of the flights and time would make it a little prohibitive.

Flying to florida for 2 weekends still may be an option. But it wouldn't be ideal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.