Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road
Where do the forces go sailing downwind?

I don't know exactly why I thought about this. I was just thinking about reefing and stuff.

If the wind is at most angles you heel. The more you heel the less force there is on your rig.

If you are sailing dead downwind you don't heel. Plus your boat has a max speed. So what happens to those forces as the wind increases? It seems it would tear your mast off the most easily although I am not sure this is the number one way to get dismasted.

I know as the wind picks up you lessen sail and at some point you may be sailing dd with just a storm jib. But while it is picking up. Say a squall hits fast, until you have the chance to lessen sails is this a particularly dangerous time?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 01-31-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2014
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Where to te forced go sailing downwind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
.. So what happens to those forces as the wind increases? ...
The boat starts to bury the bow. At some point, the drag upfront may cause the boat to decide its time to head up (or down)...
Old 01-31-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

A serious squall from DDW is most likely going to require you to round up and take down a lot of sail. It's difficult, if not impossible, on most boats, to dropped a powered up main while holding your downwind course.

Since up to that time you were subtracting your speed from the windspeed when you do turn around it will seem alarmingly windier, and indeed be a struggle to get the sails down, and, if you're alone, keeping the boat under control as you do so.

The trick is to keep your head on a swivel to give you the most reaction time, and to sail conservatively/reef early in a building breeze downwind. This is probably one of the main reasons for the popularity of sailing on headsail alone when going downwind.. much easier to reef down/roll up a genny and deal with a full mainsail in those conditions.

Even a hanked on headsail is likely to collapse down the forestay if the halyard is blown when downwind, whereas that same sail can tend to climb the stay pointing upwind in a big breeze.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 01-31-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2014

Tim R. is on a distinguished road

How is it that the rig has less force when heeling? I can guarantee you that your rig has more force on it at 10° of heel than at 5°. When sailing DDW your boat is moving forward thus reducing force on the rig. On a beam reach your boat moves very little laterally other than heeling.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
Old 01-31-2014
cruising all I can

joethecobbler is on a distinguished road

when you heel the wind dumps as the angle og heel increases.don't know if it would be less tension overall, but I have 1backstay as apposed to 3 shrouds.
my guess.
rounded up in a gust w/ my spinnaker up this fall and it almost took the rig down. had to go aloft to place the starboard shroud back in. the spreader an re-sieze it.
oddly, my daughter who was 9 told me I had too much sail up.She was not happy when it happened as she was at the helm and I was forward on deck.
she won't let me forget it.
-OvO- likes this.
Old 01-31-2014

It takes more force to make your boat heel more. Wind dumping helps but it is still more force on the rig than at lower wind speeds..

So if what the OP is saying is that there is more force when DDW then beam reach why does the boat not settle down once it is forced to turn 90° from DDW?

The bow starts to bury and the boat leans forward to one side or the other and initiates a violent turn towards the wind. I would bet that the strongest force on the rig in that maneuver is when the boat is beam to.

Should not be hard to figure out if you have a decent Loos gauge. Measure the static tension on the rig at rest and then measure it at DDW and beam reach in consistent force winds. You will have to measure each shroud on the one side and combine them. You would also have to measure each backstay if you have two like my boat. It will probably take a decent amount of wind to overcome the static tension. I would do it but my mast is down for the winter.

Old 01-31-2014
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

I think for the same apparent wind speed and the same sail area, your rig will be more loaded DDW simply because the boat cannot bury the bow and 'spill' as easily as it can heel laterally and reduce the apparent area.

Sort of like comparing the force on the rig with the wind on the beam and the sail overtrimmed.. at sea the boat can heel, reduce the presented area and 'reduce' force.. try the same thing on the hard where the boat can't heel and the forces should be greater.. until you flip the boat off it's stands!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-31-2014

SchockT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't know exactly why I thought about this. I was just thinking about reefing and stuff.

If the wind is at most angles you heel. The more you heel the less force there is on your rig.

If you are sailing dead downwind you don't heel. Plus your boat has a max speed. So what happens to those forces as the wind increases? It seems it would tear your mast off the most easily although I am not sure this is the number one way to get dismasted.

I know as the wind picks up you lessen sail and at some point you may be sailing dd with just a storm jib. But while it is picking up. Say a squall hits fast, until you have the chance to lessen sails is this a particularly dangerous time?
Just because the boat is heeling doesn't mean there is less load on the rig. DDW is the slowest point of sail, and will also result in the lowest apparent wind speeds, and the least power in the sails. The biggest hazards to your rig when running is the potential for shock-loads due to uncontrolled gybes. If the boom is allowed to slam across violently stuff can get broken. If you are flying a spinnaker, and you round up, the loads on the rig rapidly increase from what they were when you were sailing a deeper course. If the chute collapses and fills again the shock load can be extreme. That is when things cam break. Having said that, the rig should be able to withstand those forces. If your upper shroud came off during such an event then your rig is in serious need of professional attention! How would you and your 9 year old daughter have handled a dismasting that day?
Hull#101
Old 01-31-2014
first sailed january 2008

northoceanbeach is on a distinguished road

Yes. I wasn't trying to say that overall there are less forces on the rig at 10• vs 5•. I mean. You wouldn't be heeled over farther.

Just that at most points of sail the boat can heel to reduce pressure ad spill the wind. So at least it has a way to reduce pressure as pressure increases.

So the only way to reduce pressure downwind is to reduce sail.

Last edited by northoceanbeach; 01-31-2014 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2014

Quote:
...So the only way to reduce pressure downwind is to reduce sail.
Or go faster. Obviously there is a limit but going faster reduces the forces going DDW more than on a beam reach.

Increasing speed on DDW reduces apparent wind while going faster on a beam reach increases apparent wind.

Last edited by Tim R.; 01-31-2014 at 03:29 PM.