SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Daysailer for two ... ?

19K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  primerate84 
#1 ·
Here is what I am looking for ... First boat, daysailer for two (wife, age 23, myself, age 25), able to single hand (with practice/some skill), sit IN not on, traileralbe, centerboard, stable, under $10K, would like something cheaper and will buy used. Plan to just day sail, no racing ambitions. Depending on location (move around alot) may move to something larger. (22-27'') weekender after skills are developed and solid. Currently would be sailing on small lakes. Looking at Catalina 14.2 and Hunter 146. What other boats fit this type of sailing. THANKS!

#2 ·
A trailerable that I''ll always regret parting with was a Holder 20. It''s an older boat, large cockpit but with a small cabin that you could sleep in if you were so inclined, but its tight. It has a drop keel with a bulb on it and a pin to keep it in place so it is like sailing a keel boat after launching it, but it is easy to trailer and launch on a ramp. Great sailing characteristics with some zip. I really miss that boat.

Gerhard

#3 ·
I will research the Holder 20. Thanks for the suggestion!

Right now, however, I am leaning towards something in the 12-16'' range that is light enough to be towed by a small SUV, that I can really learn to sail and feel the effects of my every move. I would also like something light weight and easy to rig, so we can be in the water and sailing within a few minutes. The easier and faster we can get in the water, the more we will sail, better we will get, etc. I know I mentioned something that we could sit ''in'', but I have a growing interest in the Vanguard Zuma. I was considering a Sunfish, for it availablity and huge following, but I think the Zuma would provide more room for two adults. I would also only be sailing seasonally, mostly during the summer months (midwest), but the general time frame would be April-October (so staying dry during the boundary months becomes a factor).

After we learn to sail well and depending on our location and sailing ambitions, we may move up to a Catalina 22 after our starter boat.

#4 ·
I don''t know anything about the Zuma. I used to own a Sunfish. Nice, fun boat, but more suited to one person. My wife and I would go out on ours, but it was crowded with two for any length of time. You are learning right. Learning on a small boat is the way to really learn. There are lots of boats out there that will fit your needs. Good luck in your search.

Gerhard

Gerhard

#5 ·
One problem with the smaller Catalina (Capri) and Hunters is the performance in winds over about 15 kts. I had a Capri 14.2 and found it difficult to sail to weather in such winds. They''re relatively light and are poorly rigged for hiking. They now make a model with a small keel which is probably better. Check out some other options before you decide.

I''m now sailing a Lightning and have been for 15 years - which I recommend highly. In addition, the Flying Scot is a good choice because of their stability. Either of these can be easily found (used) in your price range.

www.lightningclass.org has some good information about looking for a used boat

RGS

#7 ·
I think I would like to stick with a centerboard just to have the option to beach every once in a while. However, my wife prefers a dry ride if we are not spending the day at the beach. This is why I would like something comfortable for her to sit "in" and not hiked out on. I will look into the Lightning and Flying Scot, but I am leaning towards something in the 14-16'' range. I feel like, if I am getting something upwards 19-20'', I might as well get a Catalina 22. This is a boat that I would like for my wife to learn on, but something that will grow with us. I am looking to put in the water quickly, so we spend more time on the lake/protected bay and less time with the trailer and rigging. I want more of a fun daysailer and less of a pocket cruiser. Thanks for all the responses and recommendations!

#9 ·
From my research the Laser 16 seems only to be available in the UK, but something in the 16'' range is attractive, stability wise. I have run accross an Apollo 16, Leward 16, Precision 15, and Thistle online. So I will be looking at those as well. I am starting to look more aggressively at the Lightning and Flying Scot however. Thanks.

#10 ·
I have not read back through this thread, so someone else may have chimed in with this earlier, but I am a fan of the Oday Daysailer, which ultimately was built by a number of other builders. These were reasonably well constructed, can be purchased in competitive condition for a very reasonable price and is still raced competitively in a lot of areas of the country and so hold their value quite well vs some of the newer designs that you have been considering. While not as high performance as a thistle or lightning, they are easy boats to sail and can handle a reasonably wide range of conditions. Most had integral outboard motor mounts (which may need rebuilding) and were pretty comfortable boats for a couple of peope to sail.

Another similar choice is the Sailstar Explorer.

Good luck,
Jeff

#15 ·
I would highly recommend a Fying Scott. Easily trailer by a small SUV, easily rigged, fast, great association around the us, great support from the builder, most will have spinnakers, can be raced if desired. Also fits six adults, extremely comfortable and very stable. Easily single handed

Try fssa.com has further information. I have a Morgan 384 and a flying Scott...when I really what to feel the fun of sailing the Flying Scott fits the bill.

Good Luck,

John

#18 · (Edited)
Plenty of good suggestions here, one more is that something like a Vanguard 420 (14 ft.) might fit the bill. They can be found used from sailing schools and clubs, and are fun to sail with a crew of 2. Pretty light for trailering and handling. There's no cabin, but you did say daysailer.

#19 ·
Find out what's sailed in your area. Not only does this provide a supply of used boats but also a ready market when you're ready to move on. I've seen too many people buy some orphan and find when their ready to move on that there is no market for them.

Since you live in the midwest and the Flying Scot is sailed widely in the midwest, check out the Flying Scot Association website to determine where there are fleets near you. Even if you have no intention to race the locals will be able to provide valuble information regarding the boat and the used boat market.

Avoid heavy boats. The diference between a 500# and a 900# is significant when you're trying to get it on the trailor.

#20 ·
To a certain extent, your first boat might be dictated by what is available in your area. I started sailing in an area where sailing wasn't very popular, so the choice of sailboats was very limited.

In addition to those already mentioned, another good, basic sloop is a 16 foot Ray Greene "Rebel." The Rebel is often reputed to be the first fiberglass sailboat, built in 1948. It's lively enough to be fun but forgiving enough so you'll only take a swim if you really mess up.

#21 ·
Being that the OP posted his question almost 4 years ago, I would hope that he's found a boat by now. If he hasn't and he's still reading Sailnet then...my first boat was an Aquarius 23. I sailed once on a Catalina 25 and a month later I bought my Aquarius. Easy to learn on, easy to sail and trailerable. Great boat!

#22 ·
I own a Stuart Mariner 19 ft daysailer. It is built by Stuart Marine in Rockport Maine using the same mold as the original O'Day. I love her. I sail alone with no problem but it's perfect with two people and can carry up to 8 people. Its cabin can sleep four. It comes in both a centerboard model and a keel model. New it costs a good deal more than you are willing to pay but a boat in excellent shape up to 20+ years old can be had for 8,000 or less if you hunt around. We are planning to trailer my boat to FL this winter. Stepping the mast is a piece of cake.
Good luck with your hunt. I hope this helps.
Alice

#24 ·
Wow, someone dug up my old thread ... well due to various circumstances in my life, I never got into sailing. But I just started lurking here again recently ...

But, my life is going into a new chapter now ... I am moving to central California (unaccompanied) and I am going to make my dream happen. I have found a few good sailing opportunities in Morro Bay and Santa Barbara. I think I am going to sign up for an ASA101 class at the SBSC and then look for a Lido 14 or something that size that I can learn and grow with. Something that will fit in a two-car garage and that can be towed by a 2008 Mazda3 5-door (I can park my car outside if the boat needs to go in diagonally).

I got bit by the sailing bug when I was about 20-21 when I got to fool around on an old Sunfish. Now 8-9 years later I am still dreaming. This time I am going to act.

Long term dream is to eventually live aboard in Annapolis, cruise the Chesapeake, US east coast, Bermuda, and the Bahamas.

Thanks.

Grant

#30 ·
Good for you, Grant. Wish I hadn't let it lapse; sometimes life gets in the way.:) Santa Barbara has a deep sailing culture and excellent learning opportunities. It's also severely $$$ and the wind there, it doth honk. HONK! You learn to sail there, you are ready for anything.

#25 ·
Yes, the O'Day Daysailer is a fine choice but I cannot recommend its Sailstar clone; the latter just wasn't made very well -- and yes, I owned one for a while.

Another good choice is a Flying Scot. They sail well, are very forgiving and stable, and seem to have a stable enough demand to keep their value. Just be aware the hulls are cored and need close inspection for wetness or delamination.

#27 ·
My favorite daysailer, our "floating patio", is a Marshal Sandpiper. It is the largest 15' boat I have ever enjoyed. 6 adults can sail comfortably and have a picnic in its huge cockpit. It is safe! It is fun to sail. It is beautiful. You can sail it up onto a beach and go swimming. It "hunts" for the wind when beating. It goes very fast down wind. The gaff rig can be very powerful and quickly de-powered.

I have sailed this little boat in the Gulf of Mexico and the Gulf of Maine and will never sell it. We launch it every year and keep it on a mooring here in Maine now. We have a larger boat too, but sail the Sandpiper as often as our Islander. For a day's outing with family in shallow coastal waters it is perfect. It can get wet if the wind blows up but it is a 15' boat.

Storage is easy. One sail and just three lines plus the sheet. I can launch it with my Saab! The coaming is just enough varnish.

It is one of the nicest designs I know of for a small daysailer

George

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.