Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2009

Andyman is on a distinguished road
Being that the OP posted his question almost 4 years ago, I would hope that he's found a boat by now. If he hasn't and he's still reading Sailnet then...my first boat was an Aquarius 23. I sailed once on a Catalina 25 and a month later I bought my Aquarius. Easy to learn on, easy to sail and trailerable. Great boat!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-04-2009
old bird

lapwing is on a distinguished road
I own a Stuart Mariner 19 ft daysailer. It is built by Stuart Marine in Rockport Maine using the same mold as the original O'Day. I love her. I sail alone with no problem but it's perfect with two people and can carry up to 8 people. Its cabin can sleep four. It comes in both a centerboard model and a keel model. New it costs a good deal more than you are willing to pay but a boat in excellent shape up to 20+ years old can be had for 8,000 or less if you hunt around. We are planning to trailer my boat to FL this winter. Stepping the mast is a piece of cake.
Good luck with your hunt. I hope this helps.
Alice
Old 09-04-2009
NON member

AE28 is on a distinguished road
Agree with the O'Day Day Sailer II suggestion!
Paul
Old 09-24-2009

hilega is on a distinguished road
Wow, someone dug up my old thread ... well due to various circumstances in my life, I never got into sailing. But I just started lurking here again recently ...

But, my life is going into a new chapter now ... I am moving to central California (unaccompanied) and I am going to make my dream happen. I have found a few good sailing opportunities in Morro Bay and Santa Barbara. I think I am going to sign up for an ASA101 class at the SBSC and then look for a Lido 14 or something that size that I can learn and grow with. Something that will fit in a two-car garage and that can be towed by a 2008 Mazda3 5-door (I can park my car outside if the boat needs to go in diagonally).

I got bit by the sailing bug when I was about 20-21 when I got to fool around on an old Sunfish. Now 8-9 years later I am still dreaming. This time I am going to act.

Long term dream is to eventually live aboard in Annapolis, cruise the Chesapeake, US east coast, Bermuda, and the Bahamas.

Thanks.

Grant
Old 09-24-2009

Michael K is on a distinguished road
Yes, the O'Day Daysailer is a fine choice but I cannot recommend its Sailstar clone; the latter just wasn't made very well -- and yes, I owned one for a while.

Another good choice is a Flying Scot. They sail well, are very forgiving and stable, and seem to have a stable enough demand to keep their value. Just be aware the hulls are cored and need close inspection for wetness or delamination.
Old 09-30-2009

Reddirt is on a distinguished road
West Wight Potter 15
Old 09-30-2009
Tundra Down

downeast450 is on a distinguished road
My favorite daysailer, our "floating patio", is a Marshal Sandpiper. It is the largest 15' boat I have ever enjoyed. 6 adults can sail comfortably and have a picnic in its huge cockpit. It is safe! It is fun to sail. It is beautiful. You can sail it up onto a beach and go swimming. It "hunts" for the wind when beating. It goes very fast down wind. The gaff rig can be very powerful and quickly de-powered.

I have sailed this little boat in the Gulf of Mexico and the Gulf of Maine and will never sell it. We launch it every year and keep it on a mooring here in Maine now. We have a larger boat too, but sail the Sandpiper as often as our Islander. For a day's outing with family in shallow coastal waters it is perfect. It can get wet if the wind blows up but it is a 15' boat.

Storage is easy. One sail and just three lines plus the sheet. I can launch it with my Saab! The coaming is just enough varnish.

It is one of the nicest designs I know of for a small daysailer

George
Old 09-30-2009

GEO42 is on a distinguished road
Day sailer

Look at catboats one sail beamy and stable large cockpit
Old 10-21-2009

sailboy10 is on a distinguished road
hunter 146 very stable right in your range
Old 10-22-2009
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilega View Post
Wow, someone dug up my old thread ... well due to various circumstances in my life, I never got into sailing. But I just started lurking here again recently ...

But, my life is going into a new chapter now ... I am moving to central California (unaccompanied) and I am going to make my dream happen. I have found a few good sailing opportunities in Morro Bay and Santa Barbara. I think I am going to sign up for an ASA101 class at the SBSC and then look for a Lido 14 or something that size that I can learn and grow with. Something that will fit in a two-car garage and that can be towed by a 2008 Mazda3 5-door (I can park my car outside if the boat needs to go in diagonally).

I got bit by the sailing bug when I was about 20-21 when I got to fool around on an old Sunfish. Now 8-9 years later I am still dreaming. This time I am going to act.

Long term dream is to eventually live aboard in Annapolis, cruise the Chesapeake, US east coast, Bermuda, and the Bahamas.

Thanks.

Grant
Good for you, Grant. Wish I hadn't let it lapse; sometimes life gets in the way. Santa Barbara has a deep sailing culture and excellent learning opportunities. It's also severely $$$ and the wind there, it doth honk. HONK! You learn to sail there, you are ready for anything.