Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2005

hilega is on a distinguished road
Daysailer for two ... ?

Here is what I am looking for ... First boat, daysailer for two (wife, age 23, myself, age 25), able to single hand (with practice/some skill), sit IN not on, traileralbe, centerboard, stable, under $10K, would like something cheaper and will buy used. Plan to just day sail, no racing ambitions. Depending on location (move around alot) may move to something larger. (22-27'') weekender after skills are developed and solid. Currently would be sailing on small lakes. Looking at Catalina 14.2 and Hunter 146. What other boats fit this type of sailing. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2005

gstraub is on a distinguished road
Daysailer for two ... ?

A trailerable that I''ll always regret parting with was a Holder 20. It''s an older boat, large cockpit but with a small cabin that you could sleep in if you were so inclined, but its tight. It has a drop keel with a bulb on it and a pin to keep it in place so it is like sailing a keel boat after launching it, but it is easy to trailer and launch on a ramp. Great sailing characteristics with some zip. I really miss that boat.

Gerhard
Old 09-23-2005

Daysailer for two ... ?

I will research the Holder 20. Thanks for the suggestion!

Right now, however, I am leaning towards something in the 12-16'' range that is light enough to be towed by a small SUV, that I can really learn to sail and feel the effects of my every move. I would also like something light weight and easy to rig, so we can be in the water and sailing within a few minutes. The easier and faster we can get in the water, the more we will sail, better we will get, etc. I know I mentioned something that we could sit ''in'', but I have a growing interest in the Vanguard Zuma. I was considering a Sunfish, for it availablity and huge following, but I think the Zuma would provide more room for two adults. I would also only be sailing seasonally, mostly during the summer months (midwest), but the general time frame would be April-October (so staying dry during the boundary months becomes a factor).

After we learn to sail well and depending on our location and sailing ambitions, we may move up to a Catalina 22 after our starter boat.
Old 09-24-2005

gstraub is on a distinguished road
Daysailer for two ... ?

I don''t know anything about the Zuma. I used to own a Sunfish. Nice, fun boat, but more suited to one person. My wife and I would go out on ours, but it was crowded with two for any length of time. You are learning right. Learning on a small boat is the way to really learn. There are lots of boats out there that will fit your needs. Good luck in your search.

Gerhard

Gerhard
Old 09-26-2005

goduke is on a distinguished road
Daysailer for two ... ?

One problem with the smaller Catalina (Capri) and Hunters is the performance in winds over about 15 kts. I had a Capri 14.2 and found it difficult to sail to weather in such winds. They''re relatively light and are poorly rigged for hiking. They now make a model with a small keel which is probably better. Check out some other options before you decide.

I''m now sailing a Lightning and have been for 15 years - which I recommend highly. In addition, the Flying Scot is a good choice because of their stability. Either of these can be easily found (used) in your price range.

www.lightningclass.org has some good information about looking for a used boat

RGS
Old 09-26-2005

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Daysailer for two ... ?

If you prefer a small keelboat instead of a centerboarder, a good used Rhodes 19 is hard to beat.
Old 09-27-2005

Daysailer for two ... ?

I think I would like to stick with a centerboard just to have the option to beach every once in a while. However, my wife prefers a dry ride if we are not spending the day at the beach. This is why I would like something comfortable for her to sit "in" and not hiked out on. I will look into the Lightning and Flying Scot, but I am leaning towards something in the 14-16'' range. I feel like, if I am getting something upwards 19-20'', I might as well get a Catalina 22. This is a boat that I would like for my wife to learn on, but something that will grow with us. I am looking to put in the water quickly, so we spend more time on the lake/protected bay and less time with the trailer and rigging. I want more of a fun daysailer and less of a pocket cruiser. Thanks for all the responses and recommendations!
Old 09-27-2005

chrondi is an unknown quantity at this point
Daysailer for two ... ?

I own a Laser 16 with auxiliary 4 HP OB engine. It is big and beamy, unsuitable for large waves (small freeboard) in the sea, but it seems excellent for a lake. Why not consider someting similar?
Old 09-27-2005

Daysailer for two ... ?

From my research the Laser 16 seems only to be available in the UK, but something in the 16'' range is attractive, stability wise. I have run accross an Apollo 16, Leward 16, Precision 15, and Thistle online. So I will be looking at those as well. I am starting to look more aggressively at the Lightning and Flying Scot however. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2005

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Daysailer for two ... ?

I have not read back through this thread, so someone else may have chimed in with this earlier, but I am a fan of the Oday Daysailer, which ultimately was built by a number of other builders. These were reasonably well constructed, can be purchased in competitive condition for a very reasonable price and is still raced competitively in a lot of areas of the country and so hold their value quite well vs some of the newer designs that you have been considering. While not as high performance as a thistle or lightning, they are easy boats to sail and can handle a reasonably wide range of conditions. Most had integral outboard motor mounts (which may need rebuilding) and were pretty comfortable boats for a couple of peope to sail.

Another similar choice is the Sailstar Explorer.

Good luck,
Jeff