SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Anyone completed ASA 114? Or 214?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Multihullgirl 
#1 ·
Has anyone done the ASA 114 (catamaran) course?

What was your perspective on the course.

What issues did you have?

Anything that you could recommend?

I am doing the 214 (catamaran instructor) course next week and would appreciate any feedback that could be offered.

Thanks

Jack

#2 ·
I did the catamaran course probably 12-13 years ago at BWSS in Lauderdale.

Given our experience level at the time, it was a really good course.

I do think there might could have been a bit more docking practice and anchoring practice but there were five in the class and not enough time for each of us to get much hands-on.

I don't know how the course is structured now, but the specifics for cats have mainly to do with docking, anchoring/bridle use, maneuvering, if you ask me

#5 ·
What is your impression of the difference reaction to wind gusts?

#6 ·
On a multihull:
-- one reefs for the GUSTS, not the ambient wind.
-- on a beam reach or lower, one does NOT turn up/round up in a gust. You turn DOWN, and that is a real biggie.
-- one steers downwind/deep to raise or douse a chute. (or furl a jib, although I suspect this works for both mono and multi) I have crewed for an ex-monohull guy on his catamaran and he takes down his main to sail deep with a chute. This is a bad idea, mainly because you won't have the blocking effect of the main when it comes on to blow. (I watched him like to not be able to get down his chute, in fact.) Turn down, allow the main to block the headsail, then you have all the time in the world to deal with the headsail, everything calms down

#7 ·
Thanks

That first one is worth knowing. On some cats the traveler and mainsheet are not as accessible as on a monohull.

The other two are also true on monohulls.

I has been on boats that have rounded up quick severely. One in bluewater (25 knot winds, broad reaching) resulted in a slam. Another in Georgia Strait resulted a a crew member being through out of the galley onto a chart table.

I never fly a chute of any kind with the main up. In very light wind I may centre the main to allow more wind into the chute.

#8 ·
a broach/rounding from a deep point of sail to a higher point loads up the lee bow, depressing it, at the same time the boat is trying to lift the weather hull, at the same time the boat is passing through abeam, the more powerful point of sail ("death zone"). And the boat is 'spinning,' which to some degree expresses centripetal force which of course is also acting to push the boat over and lee hull down.

I don't explain myself very well, but after 25 years in multihulls, it's kind of intuitive. One of the first things you learn about sailing a Hobie 16, after learning how not to just fly the hull too high and take it over that way, is how to avoid pitching it, and an H16 just loves to pitch. There's a funny somewhere on the Net about "50 Ways to Leave Your Hobie."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.