SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   How can i find a very small sailboat used? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/12551-how-can-i-find-very-small-sailboat-used.html)

RCR 02-25-2006 12:37 PM

How can i find a very small sailboat used?

I want to get a very small sailboat to learn on but I am having trouble finding one. The only ones I can find in my area are two 15 year old Barnetts. They are in my price range (<$1500) but are they any good for learning on and then keeping? I want something at least a little quick so I don't get tired of it in a short time. Here is one of the boats:

Barnett 1400

What do you think of this boat? How fast (roughly) would it go in a good stiff breeze?

administrator 02-25-2006 01:39 PM

That boat will go plenty fast in a stiff breeze. You'll be shocked how fast these little boats accelerate. I learned to sail on a Hobie Cat and I wouldn't trade that experience for the world. I had some wild rides on that boat and flipped it a few times too and it's a bugger to right.

sailingfool 02-25-2006 02:11 PM

If you want something to grow with and that will give you a lot of fun, get a Laser. You may be able to get into a late '80s model for $1,500. I've never heard of a Barnett but the set up in the pics looks pretty lightweight - I'd say a Laser is a much better piece of equipment. If the Laser seems too intimidating, then get a Sunfish. Try eBay and local for sale books, also www.laserforum.org.

There are plenty of How-to books around for Laser sailing and racing.

Good luck.

Sailormon6 02-25-2006 03:07 PM

Why don't you find some sailing clubs in your area that sponsor races on Wednesday or Thursday evenings, after work. Some of them will all sail one particular class of boat. Most of them will have a bulletin board, where members will post notices of boats for sale. Buy a boat of one of those classes that is within your price range. When you feel you can sail it fairly well, join the club and get in on the racing. You'll have fun and learn from the racing, and you'll find that the socializing is one of the best aspects of sailing.

sailortjk1 02-25-2006 07:10 PM

I learned on a Sunfish, I was very young, about 14. For me at my age it was a great tool to learn on. A Sunfish is not a forgiving boat. If you make a mistake, you are going for a swim. Thats why I concider them to be a good learning tool. If you want something more spirited, go with the Laser as was suggested in an earlier post. You may also want to concider a sloop rigged sailing dingy, but there is nothing worng with learning on a boat that is rigged with a single sail. You can always learn first and than step up to the sloop rigged boats. Its your decision and your confidence level will be the determing factor.

RCR 02-25-2006 10:35 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do want to get a rig that has both a mainsail and a jib. I eventually want to crew so learning a sloop would help a lot. I see on the Barnett builder's website I could buy a jib to add on. I have been looking but I can't find any sunfish or laser boats for sale.

Also, does anyone here cartop their boat to the water? My car would be a pain to add a hitch yet I don't want to lift 150 lbs of boat to put it on my car. Does using a roof rack get old?

Cucamonga 03-02-2006 06:54 PM

For Sale

10 Racing Sailing Dinghy, Similar to Hobie Holder 9. New LP paint on hull, New Running Rigging, Fiberglass dagger board, Tiller Extension, Hiking Strap, Extra Boom, Freshly Varnished Tiller & Rudder, Good Sail, Looks New!

$600. OBO

RCR 03-04-2006 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cucamonga
10 Racing Sailing Dinghy, Similar to Hobie Holder 9. New LP paint on hull, New Running Rigging, Fiberglass dagger board, Tiller Extension, Hiking Strap, Extra Boom, Freshly Varnished Tiller & Rudder, Good Sail, Looks New!

$600. OBO

Where are you located, Cucamonga? That would help.

sailnaway 03-13-2006 09:12 PM

www.yachtworld.com www.boattraderonline.com Just put in the information length price type and search.

PDuckX 03-15-2006 07:26 PM

Craigslist

I did a quick craigslist search in orlando and found lots of options. You sould give that a shot.