LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2006

The Regatta Queen is on a distinguished road
Talking

Maybe I should wear a bathing suit when I go sailing? Teehee
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2006

The Regatta Queen is on a distinguished road
At least I know a collision when you don't have the right of way is much much worse than capsizing!!!!
Old 04-05-2006
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just remember that most learning is done through a process of making mistakes... the more mistakes you make—the faster you will learn. The trick is not to pay too high a price in making those mistakes.
Old 06-23-2006

ceberon is on a distinguished road
Sure thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Regatta Queen
Maybe I should wear a bathing suit when I go sailing? Teehee
Well, if you're in a fairly small boat, I'd say yes. When I go sailing in our small sailboats (large family, we have a few), I am always wearing a bathing suit.

I think it makes you a lot more relaxed about falling in (doesn't feel as "wrong"), and it's a lot more comfortable to get back in if you're in a wet suit, as opposed to wet something else.

As for being afraid of drowning, are you comfortable swimming? I have to say I enjoy having a small boat tip over, I've always found it to be exciting. My dad has always said (it's his motto) "if you don't fall over/get hurt/break something, you're not trying".

The only issue would be if you're not comfortable in the water, which would explain why you were scared?
Old 06-23-2006

pluscard is on a distinguished road
Maybe I should wear a bathing suit when I go sailing?
========================================
I'm sure there are many ways to do this, but my current strategy is to get lots of time on the water. My boat is large enough, I need help, so, I've been inviting friends, family members, etc sailing/swimming every weekend. I sail the boat across the lake, anchor off the cove, and swim off the boat. I had to buy a $30 boat ladder - it's harder than you might expect to board a J/24 from the water without a ladder.
Anyway, it's working... I get to sail in different conditions, with various "helpers". Then during the week, I read sailnet to see how to improve my technique.

But I wear my bathing suit every time...

Mike
Old 07-10-2006

gabachojefe is on a distinguished road
Also, not that Wikipedia's a 100% reliable source, but it seems that "wearing ship" is just a jibe performed by a tall ship. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jibe
Old 07-10-2006

Gary M is on a distinguished road
Capsizing is Fun

If you are going to sail a dinghy you will capsize. Your instructor should have you capsizing regulary to get you comfortable with it. When my kids took junior sailing they had dump day every week so that they would overcome any fear and just have fun with it.

Also as stated above if you are not a very confident swimmer then get some lessons. You will be much more comfortable then.

And yes "wearing ship" is a traditional ships term for gybing.

Gary
Old 07-10-2006

Surfesq is on a distinguished road
Matt's right, the easiest way to gibe is to bring in your main and pay it back out after the maneauver. Just last week, I was playing on my Hobie 16 with my brother and we were out in 18-20 knots. We gibed and clammered across the tarp....I kept the main tight so we would not lose speed. The hull lifted up and just as we hiked back out we pitch-poled and hit the drink. We both got launched pretty good because I was trying to steer out of it when we basically cart-wheeled....We came up laughing our asses off and of course blaiming each other. But that's sailing!