Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2014
Lake Hack

Clarks Hill Windbag is on a distinguished road
Reviews for Southcoast Sailing, Galveston Bay?

Hello -

Has anyone used Southcoast Sailing?

I want to add ASA 103/104 endorsements by September, in waves/current (lake sailing only so far).

From internet research, Southcoast seems to have the best combination packages, and good rates.

I want both endorsements in one shot, so if there is a better price <$800 anywhere from Philly to TX (not going to FL, sorry) please share.

Fair Winds
CHW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-27-2014
Lake Hack

Re: Reviews for Southcoast Sailing, Galveston Bay?

5 days and none hath ventured forth to trash Southcoast, must be a good school!

Last edited by Clarks Hill Windbag; 04-27-2014 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Autocomplete error
Old 04-27-2014

ScottH is on a distinguished road

CHW,

I did extensive research on South Texas ASA schools for my 104 and 118 (docking endorsement). Two schools stood out - Windward SeaVenture and Southcoast. I did my 104 at Windward and my 118 at Southcoast. I would recommend, and will go back, to both. Many places in South Texas have small boats and are more of a "gimmick" location to run a lot of people through initial classes. Both of these have good boats, and quality instructors. My 104 was on a Hunter 41, and the 118 on a Hunter 36 and Hunter 43.

Galveston Bay was an interesting place to sail...you can hold a course for hours with depths consistently at 9 feet throughout the bay! For your 103/104 they will take you down the ship channel and into the Gulf. Enjoy!

SFH
The Following User Says Thank You to ScottH For This Useful Post:
Clarks Hill Windbag (04-28-2014)
Old 07-01-2014
Lake Hack

Well - I'm heading out to Kemah TX for the Southcoast 103/104 in the am. Will post reviews after.
Old 07-08-2014
Lake Hack

Southcoast is a great place to take ASA 103/104

Just returned from 3 day/night class. Captain Tracy Piercy took me, and two other students through the course and a lot of time in/near the Houston Ship Channel.

Captain Tracy maintained his cool as the noob crew meandered through Bolivar Roads in heavy 4th of July traffic. He was especially accommodating, working with a physically challenged student, and an ESL student on the same trip. His professionalism is exceptional, and I would highly recommend Cap'n Tracy for training. I believe he'd be even more fun under non-instructional conditions.

We sailed on Moonlight Serenade, a Hunter 36. It is a very nice boat, much more like the boat you'd charter than the school boat I expected. The boat had in-mast furling mainsail, so no practice for traditional reefing. The generator would not run for our night anchorage in Offuts Bayou, but having never been on a sailboat with a/c, no worries for me. I'm sure they will repair it straightaway.

The office staff was nice and efficient by sailing company standards. The marina is fantastic, with good facilities and right on the Kemah boardwalk.

I would definitely recommend Captain Tracy, and SCS.

I'm from GA, and did find the Galveston heat oppressive. If you come from out of state, choose a temperate time to avoid heat stress.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clarks Hill Windbag For This Useful Post:
DRFerron (07-08-2014)
Old 07-08-2014
Daniel - Norsea 27

Rhapsody-NS27 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I didn't see this thread before...

I did ASA-101 with Southcoast Sailing a few years ago and really enjoyed it. The guy who instructed me and two others isn't there any longer. Two years ago, I went to Kemah for a boat show and saw Southcoast had a booth, I paid for the show one day and volunteered at their booth for the rest of the show. They're all really good people to spend some time with and would go back for more in a second.

Sounds like you had a great time. I really like that area.

Quote:
Aside from what it teaches you, there is simply the indescribable degree of peace that can be achieved on a sailing vessel at sea. I guess a combination of hard work and the seemingly infinite expanse of the sea - the profound solitude - that does it for me. - Billy Campbell

Tags
asa 103/104 , captain tracy piercy , southcoast sailing