SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   Learning to Sail (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/)
-   -   Proper winch technique? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/learning-sail/137938-proper-winch-technique.html)

jackdale 05-03-2014 05:00 PM

Proper winch technique?

Is this it?

http://www.sailingworld.com/sites/sa...?itok=HB4dvgDe

From Winch Technique 101 | Sailing World

MedSailor 05-03-2014 05:03 PM

Re: Proper winch technique?

No. You need one hand for yourself and one for the boat. The sailor in this photo is already dead.

:)

Medsailor

PS I like the velcro... A boat I race on doesn't have a good place for winch handle holders and could really use some of that.

Faster 05-03-2014 05:04 PM

Don't like the fingers in the bight... a one handed grip far enough from the drum to put on another full wrap is what we do..

jackdale 05-03-2014 05:33 PM

I can see at least three things wrong.

Aside from a reversed photo.

shemandr 05-03-2014 05:43 PM

Likewise. The fingers in the bight are a bad idea even for the lazy sheet which I assume this is. Probably too many wraps. Can't tell about the lead angle but 4 wraps often means override.
If we're heading into a tack, the soon to be trimmer should be standing, feet on either side of the winch.
I don't get where the sheet tail is going but maybe I just need to get out on some newer designs.

Gregrosine 05-03-2014 05:57 PM

looks backward. and awkward. I know it has been a long winter and I haven't been sailing in too long, but this just looks so wrong.

Tempest 05-03-2014 06:07 PM

Very hard to figure what's going on here...at least for me.

The winch is being loaded counterclockwise instead of clockwise, However the self-tailing guide is set up to accept the feed this way.
(Edit: in the article's photo it's clockwise..)

There's too many wraps imo.

Where's the load? behind him? it comes in a little low on the drum, I prefer to face the sail, so I can see what's going on

Fingers facing the drum...is never a good idea, but with this many wraps most of the load would be off ( my sail at least)

jackdale 05-03-2014 07:23 PM

1) Too many wraps on the winch to start. You really only need two (maybe three to start. This one will have 5 when finished. That is a clear invitation to an override.

2) The line should be held with the thumbs away from the winch, it is easier to pull on the line that way. And easier to let go if needed.

3) The other hand should never be used loop lines onto the winch. Having your hand inside the bight could result in that hand being jammed into the winch if the line starts to run.

This is a good video.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EqzhmbC8BX0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I teach three the standards for 4 different organizations. They all agree on this approach to winch safety.

CharlzO 05-03-2014 08:34 PM

I'm curious if the picture was originally reversed in the article and was recently fixed, or if though the magic of interwebs, it seems to just end up that way on the threads on here and other forums when posted ;)

(The ASA video... I keep expecting to hear "Inconceivable!"...)

jackdale 05-03-2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlzO (Post 1802010)
I'm curious if the picture was originally reversed in the article and was recently fixed, or if though the magic of interwebs, it seems to just end up that way on the threads on here and other forums when posted ;)

(The ASA video... I keep expecting to hear "Inconceivable!"...)

The original image has been fixed.

I still insist that the photo is poor winch technique.