Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2001

Dominique is on a distinguished road
Learning in the UK

Hi everyone, I''ve recently started to learn to sail in the North West of England. Are there any members of Sailnet in the UK? I have enjoyed reading the articles about learning to sail. They''re fun, easy to read and encouraging. I look forward to hearing from anyone.

Kindest Regards
Dominique
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-06-2001

sehopkins is on a distinguished road
Learning in the UK

Hi, I''m not a UK member (I live in Virginia) but I thought I''d send you a friendly reply because no one else has. I agree that the Sailnet folks are very helpful, and the web site is a tremendous resource. Sometimes it''s nice to know I''m not alone when I have problems.

Where in NW England? My husband is from Manchester. So far, I''ve only covered the territory from London to Chester and out to Cornwall. I am curious to know what it''s like to learn to sail in the Irish Sea.

Susan
Old 06-06-2001

Learning in the UK

Hi Susan

Thanks for your reply. I was wondering if anyone was out there! I live about 1 hours drive from Manchester, further north, althought spent a lot of my youth in London.

I am learning to sail in Morecambe Bay. It is a large tidal bay. It makes learning to sail quite difficult as it is greatly effected by the tide, as well as a lot of varying winds and sand banks. There is so much to think about at any one time. One minute its really gusty, then all of a sudden, there is no wind.

I''ve only been out in the Bay about 3 times as I can only go every other weekend. The problem with going dingy sailing is that I am a little concerned about the tides and current especially as learning, I think I will spend a lot of time in the water!

how long have you been sailing? What got you first interested? Do you have your own boat?

It was really nice of you to reply to my message. I hope to hear from you soon.

Kindest Regards
Dominique
Old 06-07-2001

Learning in the UK

Hi Dominique,

Aha! Found it on the map. I bet you do have ferocious tides. We sail the Chesapeake Bay, with a maximum tide of two feet (that''s on springs and neaps) and currents so light they aren''t worth considering. But really, you might as well learn in the difficult stuff. You''ll have to deal with it eventually, and why not do it with an instructor in the boat? You have an advantage over me there.

I started sailing six years ago in the British Virgin Islands on a charter with friends and have been every year since. So, six "years" of sailing, but not that much time on the water--only 10 days a year. And all in warm, crystal-clear water with consistent trade winds coming from the exact same direction all the time. It''s very easy to sail down there. I will never forget how terrified I was the first time the boat heeled over. No one told me it would happen, and all I thought was GET ME OFF THIS THING NOW!! But I got behind the wheel the second day and never left it for the rest of the trip. I was hooked. So I took a few lessons (in Florida, more sunny, clear, warm water).

I had the bug, and last October my husband (he''s power, not sail) and I decided to get our own boat. It''s a 26-foot Hunter, just right for weekends on the Bay. It''s been a major adjustment for me to switch from sailing in paradise to the cold, gray waters of the Bay. Not to mention that it''s done nothing but rain this spring. You''d think we were in England! It''s also pretty crowded, even though it''s a big body of water. The Baltimore/Washington area is a fairly affluent one, lots of people own boats, and they''re all out there in droves on a nice weekend. Some of them are pretty rude, too, particularly the powerboats that blast past you only 30 feet away. All that water and they can''t be bothered to turn the wheel to give you a little space. You also have the big ship channel to Baltimore to deal with, and you absolutely must stay out of the way of these monsters when they come through.

But we get out there anyway. It is much different being responsible for my own boat rather than having other, more experienced people to turn to for help and advice like I had on the charters. I''ll be glad when I have more miles under my belt and can relax a little more. The ever-present "chance of afternoon thunderstorms" keeps my apprehension level high. We had one two weekends ago with hurricane-force gusts and you can''t imagine how thankful I was that we weren''t out that day. But I know we will get caught in one eventually.

The best part is that the Bay has really beautiful anchorages. Once the anchor is (hopefully) set and I have a glass of wine in my hand, I can watch the ducks and swans and really relax. In fact, relaxed a bit too much last Saturday--we dragged anchor and had to be told by another boat that it was happening. The wind direction had changed 180 degrees and we should have re-set our anchor rather than expecting it to dig in on its own. Another lesson learned. We do a sort of de-brief on the drive home to talk about the mistakes we''ve made and what we will do differently next time.

Our charters have been on big 50-foot ocean-going Beneteaus, which are big and heavy enough to feel impervious to nature. Our little 26-footer does not feel that way!

So I think you''re doing it the right way, to start with a dinghy and move up, rather than the other way around. I bet you won''t have the paranoia I have about ending up in the water--having done it a few times already!

Well, I''ve confirmed the old adage that if you ask someone to talk about themselves, they will probably oblige. What got you started? What is dinghy sailing like? Must be pretty scary sometimes given the conditions you''re in.

Rgds
Susan
Old 06-08-2001

Learning in the UK

Morning Susan

Thanks for your reply. It was great reading it. Do you have an email address so that I can reply to you instead of using the message board? I''m out sailing this weekend on Sunday, so hopefully it will keep nice. We''ve had lots of rain lately, so you don''t even need to fall in to get soaked. The good old UK. Hope to hear from you. Kindest Regards
Dominique
Old 06-09-2001

Learning in the UK

shopkins@lpii.com

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.