SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Had an oopsie, need the name of a part.

3K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Spider0804 
#1 ·
So there I was enjoying my day sailing along at break neck speeds.

Went for a tack and the mast went and when it ended up on the other side like normal the connector that holds one of my side stays to the boat snapped and down went the mast.

I redid all my standing rigging except for reusing those old connectors so I will be replacing those.

Everything is fine except for that connector and the aluminum mount that holds the mast to the boat.

Where do I find that mount and is there a specific name for it?

#3 ·
pics...bud

you need to learn the basic terms so people on here know what you are talking about exactly

if I were to guess what you are trying to say

connectors are turnbuckles or toggles
aluminum mount tang or strap

I beleive on your other thread you just purchased a dinghy...if so its likely you dont have turnbuckles but adjustable tangs or extenders that have many holes in them that you adjust by moving the pins up or down... what the wires are attached are called terminals or swaged eyes or ends...

anyways a pic would help us understanding what your next course of action is

good luck

cheers

#7 ·
on dinghies its much faster and easier to rig with the extender plates...clip and go...

have you found a new mast step, tabernacle? if not you can probably have one made

cheers

#9 ·
Soooo picture time!

http://i.imgur.com/b0oyFGs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GADc6hg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/9ccepgj.jpg

I have no idea if the measurements will help anyone with finding a replacement but.

Mast Width - 2 3/8"

Mount width - 3 1/4"
Mount length - 3 1/2"

Hole and slot width - 1/2" and 3/8"

Distance from bottom to bottom of hole - 1 3/8"
Distance from bottom to bottom of slot - 2"

Bolt holes - 1/4"
Bolt hole distance width wise - 1"
Bolt hole distance length wise - 1 5/8"

As for the connector I did some csi work today and the person that was with me said he disconnected that stay after the mast fell so I checked the connector and it was fine.

To make sure it was fine I loaded about 250 lbs of weight hanging from it to see if it was cracked or something that I could not see.

I think what happened was the stays were a bit too loose and the mast had some side to side give and ended up snapping this mount when the boom switched from a tack, does that sound plausible? It is the only thing that is broken.

#10 ·
Sirocco are long out of business, so you can't get spares through them. If there's any kind of class association, you might ask them. If there's any brand name on the mast and boom, or if you can find out who made them, you may be able to get a mast step/tabernacle from the same source.

It may be quicker simpler and cheaper to find a local machine shop, take the broken parts to them and ask them if they can fabricate new ones. The good adjustment strap, the one that didn't break, should probably also be replaced. If this boat is 30-40 years old, basically all the standing rigging parts (any turnbuckles, straps, etc.) may need replacing and while it may hurt to replace "perfectly good" parts, once they're over 20 years old they really are due for replacement no matter how good they look. The same goes for any wire/cable in the standing rigging. You just can't see the corrosion problems that develop, even in stainless steel, as it ages.

#11 ·
your best bet is going to be either ebay for a similar looking part if not the original(but old)

or my preferred which is to have a new one made

you can go stainless and save some money...just grease up the joints...tef gel etc...

so thats the only part that broke? I thought one side let go and then this broke the mount...

im still confused on that

x2 on the above if original just go new all around and save yourself the pain of having this happen again..plus on a boat that size you can probably do it for around $100

I wouldnt go turnbuckles but thats just my preferrence...on a boat this size

#12 · (Edited)
I thought the connector broke because when I looked at it while I was fishing the mast out of the water the connector was dis connected but my sail buddy said he disconnected it to try to help me out, I did not get a good look at what was broken until today.

To be honest it all happened kind of quick, one second there was a noise, the next the mast is in the water.

I will replace the connectors but they all seem to be in good shape so does my theory of loose rigging plus the force of a tack in 15-20 mph winds seem plausible to break this? I did not sheet in when I switched, just kinda let it zoom from one side to the other.

#13 ·
I have found what I believe to be a replacement.

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp...are&familyID=27&familyName=Tabernacles+&+Pins

DH2173, the mast it goes to is 0.25 inches shorter but the same width, the holes are off but I guess I will just drill some new holes.

My boat has a wooden beam coated in fiberglass that runs atop the cab so it should be fairly simple.

This company sells pins as well, right now I am just using a bolt.

Does anyone know of any other company that sells hardware that I might find a closer match on the holes?

#15 ·
just have it made...you have the old peice...however I would go stainless because the old aluminum peice was probably hardened and anodized and thats going to be way expensive to replicate

so go 304 or 316 stainless replicate part and be on your way again either that or take your time and look for a used peice on ebay...

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.