Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014

Jhiggy is on a distinguished road
First time out in my Lido 14

Hello! This last week I got to sail my Lido 14 for the first time. We drug the boat up to our cabin on Placid Lake Montana and had a fun week of sailing on a high mountain lake.

The first day we took it out we had 3 adults in the boat, 2 that have never sailed before. The wind was blowing around 10 mph and gusting to 15+. We learned a couple very important things in the first 2 minutes after the boat capsized and completely turtled. First, I should have taken a couple more minutes and fully explained what to do when the wind started to gust. The 2 guys handling the sheeting had them cleated so when it gusted the boat rounded up and because I was new/nervous I pulled the tiller the wrong direction and ended up back in the wind and before I knew what happened we were all in the water! The 2 other guys where hanging on for dear life when they should have just let go and started swimming. (We all had PDFs on) The bad thing about that is that the boat almost immediately turtled, probably quicker than it should have because they were pulling it down.

The next big mistake we made is that we didn't pull the bow of the boat into the wind before trying to right it. We got the boat righted from the turtle, but because the mast was full of water and the wind was still blowing fairly hard the boat ended up on it's side almost immediately again and this time it turtled because the mast was full of water.

When we righted the boat this time we broke some fiberglass and wood on the centerboard trunk that had rotted out that I missed on my repairs. Whoooops! We got the boat bailed out and got a tow back to the dock.

Day 2 we spent repairing the fiberglass and creating two braces that I should have installed before we left for the lake. Nothing major but it just took time as we only had 2 clamps and had multiple places that needed epoxying.

Day 3 Two of us went out in 7-10 mph winds. It was amazing! The boat sailed like a dream and since we figured out how to dump air from the sails we never ended up in the water again. The braces and repairs held strong and we got the boat planing for the first time on a beam reach. It's amazing how fast 6 knots feels! On the way back to the dock we learned how difficult it can be to dock a sailboat on a lee shore with nothing but sails and paddles. We finally sailed down the shore a bit and turned around to try to approach the dock on a beam reach and learned that you need more than one more boat length to slow down the boat by crashing into the dock. No damage done but egos were bruised.

Day 4 I took the boat out by myself with just the mainsail up. I learned right away that without the jib the boat is incredibly hard to get out of irons. I'd push the tiller and mast to the same side, the boat would turn away from the wind and by the time I could get the sheets pulled back in the boat would be in irons again. I found that I was being way too impatient and that if I let the boat turn away a bit more it was much easier to get some steerage by getting the sails full. Nothing too exciting this time as the wind was blowing along the shore so docking into the wind was much easier.

Day 5 we had thunderstorms so no sailing took place as I didn't want to see what would happen when lightning struck my boat!

Day 6 I took the boat out solo again with just the main. The winds were so light that I decided to go back for the jib. It was actually amazing how little wind it took to get the boat moving and I learned some interesting things about how the wind swirls around lake. A couple times I lost the wind completely and just had a nice relaxing float in the middle of the lake. I ended up paddling back to shore that day.

Day 7 Amazing winds again. 10-15 mphs and we went out with 2 adults. This time we had a location in mind that we wanted to sail to, the inlet of the lake. It was really interesting planning our tacks to make sure we ended up where we needed to be, and made for some good practice. Nothing exciting happened this time either as we both were fairly confident in our skills for the level of wind we had. We made it back to the dock with no issues.

I went out again alone in the afternoon and can't say that I had the same experience. Because the wind was still blowing hard and my buddy didn't want to come out again I went out with just main sail. I learned right away that the boat wants to badly round up with no jib so I had to compensate with Tiller and dumping air from the sails. This made for some exciting sailing as the boat felt fairly unstable as the wind gusted around. I also learned the benefit of the chicken jibe when the wind is really blowing. I was really afraid of an accidental jibe and I didn't want to end up in the water again so all my turns I actually did tacks. It actually worked really well, I had to make the turns quick but never once did it feel out of control. I also learned that when running you can't dump air from the sails! I ended up doing broad reaches instead so I could dump some air if it got too gusty. Although running was sort of relaxing because everything got so quiet with the wind at your back. Because the wind was blowing onto the dock again I had quite the trouble getting the boat docked with no help. I ended up sailing off the dock a bit then dropping sails and letting the wind slowly push me to the dock. Worked fairly well!

I had a great time out there and this really gave me the confidence I needed to take the boat out on the Willamette in Portland. I'm really excited to get it out on the river for the first time!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 06-17-2014

Philzy3985 is on a distinguished road
Re: First time out in my Lido 14

Get that jib on there, it'll be worth learning and getting used to, as well as helping the boat control.

Nice DIY mast float! Those are really fun perfect day sailors. It's great that you got so many consecutive days to use it, too.
Old 06-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzy3985 View Post
Get that jib on there, it'll be worth learning and getting used to, as well as helping the boat control.

Nice DIY mast float! Those are really fun perfect day sailors. It's great that you got so many consecutive days to use it, too.
We actually did use the jib more often than not. The first photo and me and my buddy was the first time we took the boat out after our turtle and we didn't want to repeat the swim. These just happened to be the best photos we got =) I also had a hard time with the Jib and main sheet single handed. In the light air it wasn't a problem but the wind was blowing too hard for me to handle both a couple time I went out. Still was fun and fast =)
Old 06-17-2014

garyguss is on a distinguished road

Awesome congrats on handling it so well.. really like your mast float, I'll be stealing that for my Mutt 15.. Thanks for the inspiration
Jhiggy likes this.
Old 06-17-2014

lido1280 is on a distinguished road

Awesome write up! This is the guy you ran into at the gas station, owner of Lido #1280. Glad to hear you had fun. If you make it up this way again we'll go sailing on Flathead. Good times. Hope to see more adventures!
Jhiggy likes this.
Old 06-18-2014

wikiwiki is on a distinguished road

Try Lido14.com

Class website
Old 06-21-2014

bansil is on a distinguished road

Great story, thanks for posting
Old 07-02-2014
High Desert Guy

Ziaduck is on a distinguished road

Thanks for sharing! I'd snag another Lido if one came along for the right price...really liked the one I had.
Old 10-02-2014

lido1280 is on a distinguished road

Jhiggy, you get any more sailing in this season? I'm off to Placid myself tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2014

No unfortunately I live in Portland, so it's quite a drive =P We generally only get up there once a year. What part of the lake are you on?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.