Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014

azguy is on a distinguished road
Re: Taking my ASA101 and 103 at once

taking the classes the way you are planning is a waste, I'm pretty sure ASA recommends 40-50 hours of sailing before taking 103.

The best way is to take ASA 101, find a spot to rent 18 or 22' boats and sail, then take ASA 103.

Remember, it's not just about passing, it's about learning.

I also agree, a huge boat is stupid for the 101, it should be taught on a 22 or 25 with a tiller....again IMHO
Old 06-25-2014

Mycroft is on a distinguished road

See if there is a sailing club that you can join so you can freely "borrow" small boats as often as you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2014

nolesailor is on a distinguished road

The wife and I took 101 & 103 back-to-back and I don't see an issue with it. Yes, while it would be ideal to practice in between, the OP may have some difficulty in finding someone willing to let them take a boat out on their own after only 101...we certainly did.
Old 06-25-2014

Minnesail is on a distinguished road

Here's an article from Salon that recommends "spaced practice" as being more efficient: Ditch the 10,000 hour rule!

I took 101 in October and 103/104 in May with absolutely no sailing in between (just thinking about sailing during a winter 105 course). I'm sure that's not ideal, but whatev's, it worked.

I think the real necessity is to use the knowledge. Don't let it be a year before you go sailing again or you will have forgotten all of it. Get out again to reinforce what you've learned while you still remember it.
Old 06-25-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Good points about trying some sailing between 101 and 103. I did that and it worked very well.

Also I'm surprised that some schools pack 101 and 103 into 2 weekends. I did 101 over 2 weekends, then the same for 103, then we got a free day charter on our own. That's 9 days on the water. Not saying you won't pass, but there's more to it than that.

Last edited by MarkSF; 06-25-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

PS small daysailers or dinghies, that you can take out into sheltered waters like a lake, can be had for small money. I sailed a Wayfarer for a year between 101 and 103, and the cost of ownership was minimal - sold it for pretty much what I paid for it, but spent some time improving it (varnishing, painting etc). Also interesting experience actually.
groggy likes this.
Old 06-26-2014

jsstrongarm is on a distinguished road

I actually did the 101/103 combo at Maryland School of Sailing and Seamanship last year. The instructors are great, and I tend to do well with immersive learning situations. Eight days of doing nothing but learning to sail, tying knots, reviewing scenarios, etc. It was a lot of fun.

A few caveats. The boats are big, and given the dock configuration you will not be learning how to depart and dock under sail. You'll be doing all of that under power. Make sure you continue to use those skills as soon as you finish the course. Receiving the 101/103 certifications is just one step in the learning process and it takes a lot more practice to become comfortable. For example, I ended up taking a docking clinic at my local sailing center to help fill in the gaps on the smaller boats.

My wife took her ASA 101 course last fall and she's currently taking her 103 course. She prefers to space things out so she has time to learn and digest the information.

In short, to each their own. If you're a fast/agile learner then the combo is good for you. If you're a methodical learner, spacing things out may be better for you. The key is to put the skills into practice as soon as you're done with the courses so you don't lose them.

Hope this helps!
Rich_engr likes this.
Old 07-16-2014
Rich

Rich_engr is on a distinguished road

Well, I passed both ASA101 and 103 certifications last week!!! Was pure heaven- best fun I have had in my entire life!!! Learned a TON, feel confident with docking, sailing, anchoring/mooring a 32-35ft boat- all thanks to the awesome instructors at the MD School of Sailing & Seamanship!!!

Now just trying to find some relatively inexpensive boats for some day sails, then take the 105 Nav cert, and 104 next spring!

I took to it like a natural- everything came together and just flowed while I was learning- truly an out-of-body experience for me!
Old 07-17-2014

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Rich,

That's terrific. Welcome to the money pit.
MarkSF likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 07-17-2014

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Congratulation Rich, sounds like you are hooked.

Obviously there are lots of opinions on how and when to take these courses. There are also lots of people that think they are a waste of time. Opinions are just that, and you found that this format worked for you. Great!

I took ASA 101/103 many years ago in a four day live aboard format. Loved it, and happy that they were combined. I had experience with boats, but mostly power. Had not sailed anything but a Sunfish in many years before the class.

I also believe that most people taking the time and dollars to take ASA classes are thinking about bigger boats for the family and want the experience to see if it works for them. Sailing dingies is great fun, but sometimes not so much for wife and kids. Getting the feel of a bigger boat, and living on it for days, gives you an idea of how much you may like it down the road. If your plans are for a bigger boat, you don't miss much by not sailing into a dock, because you are probably never going to do it with a big boat.

Good luck with your future in sailing.
Rich_engr likes this.