Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2014

nolatom will become famous soon enough
Re: Taking my ASA101 and 103 at once

Everyone above is right. Meaning it depends on your learning style. Some folks can get immersed and make the "connections" between disparate boat sizes and purposes, some can't. they all learn, though, whether through lessons or the school of hard knocks. But I do believe the best sailors come out of small, twitchy, less-forgiving boats. Whether those folks become the best cruisers is debatable, though they really have the sailing skills. If they lack the patience, you may find them out racing instead.

I teach 101 part-time, in hot little swing-keel skiffs, and when the breeze is right, we will sail all the way into the slip singing, "Motor? We don' need no steeenkin' *motor*!" Other times we are grateful for the steenkin motor.

103 is more like adding provisioning, camping, picnicing,orienteering, and weatherbird skills to your sailing skills (some people are already good at this stuff--what were your hobbies ashore?). Also in learning about interia (big boats have more), prop walk, anchoring, troubleshooting, jury-rigging, and just being adaptable. Oh, and learn rowing too--they may not teach it, but if you look perfect picking up that mooring under sail, you don't want to look doofusy rowing the dinghy ashore. Plus, it's good exercise when you can't use your bike, gym, or running shoes during a cruise.
tomandchris likes this.

Last edited by nolatom; 07-17-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-18-2014

aa3jy is on a distinguished road

Those taking their ASA courses with Maryland School of Sailing at Lankford Bay marina stop in and say hello. We enjoy watching you all doing your docking practices..

Clay AA3JY
s/v 'Tango
Lankford Bay Marina
Minnesail and Rich_engr like this.
Old 07-18-2014

sparrowe is on a distinguished road

Congratulations on a fine start in sailing!

I completed ASA 101 (J-24), 103 & 104 (Catalina 42) in a bunch over eight days at the Santa Barbara Sailing Center, learned a ton and had a blast. The following season my wife and I had a timeshare on a Jeanneau 40 on Lake Michigan; we took private lessons to manage docking in Belmont Harbor and got pretty good at it - and loved the sailing. Completely different experience than Santa Barbara.

The next year, my wife did her ASA 101/103/104 in the San Juan Islands over a week and I went along for the ride. We kept the boat for another week just the two of us - learned a whole lot of new things and again had a great time. Sailing the San Juans is a different world than Lake Michigan or Santa Barbara - skills translate, but the experience presents new challenges (think tides, currents and rocks).

Now we sail our own Beneteau 210 on an inland lake - still learning something new every time we go out, and still having the time of our lives. Taking lessons enhanced our learning, but what really matters is getting out on the water. Speaking of which, the weather tomorrow looks promising!

Get out there, enjoy and learn!
Old 07-22-2014
Rich

Rich_engr is on a distinguished road

Awesome feedback folks! Yeah, I'm already looking to find OPB to crew on and keep growing my skills.

Either it was the instructors @ MD School, or my interest/ability, but I took to it like a natural and feel 90% confident I could take a 25-30ft boat for a day sail (docking under power tho). Still, I want to hone and refine a few things before trying it on my own- can't afford any bumps/scratches on daddy's Mercedes~~~

Absolutely LOVE it!!! Already thinking of doing the 105 Nav cert, then the 104 at MD School next spring/summer. But all of it feels soooo natural and I love how it all comes together. Definitely found my calling/zen space!!!

And I have had ZERO experience prior to my classes two weeks ago...

(btw, I feel more confident backing a boat into a slip and doing standing turns than I do with backing my truck w/ backup camera!) lol~~
Old 07-23-2014

girlgoessailing is on a distinguished road

Jumping onto the bandwagon here - I'm also a sailing newbie. I've been sailing the past year with my boyfriend who's sailed nearly his whole life but I'd like to enroll in a class. I've definitely learned a lot, especially since we bought our own boat, but I've been sailing a 43ft with a wheel. Most intro classes use smaller boats (obviously) with a tiller. What is best in this situation? Keep practicing what I've learned or start again with the tiller? I know the concepts are the same and the tiller is more "interactive" but I'd love some input before spending the extra money. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2014

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Don't worry too much about the wheel vs. tiller. There will be a short period of adjustment! What's more important is to learn the fundamentals of sailing. Are you in SF? I learned with Spinnaker in Redwood City and they were great, I'm sure that the schools in the central bay are fine, too.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.