Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > Skills and Seamanship > Learning to Sail
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2014

ccrasmus is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat that can be beached???

I guess I could try that but the sails really aren't the problem. I can rig the sails on the beach but the getting the actual boat to the water is tough and then getting the center board in before I jump in bc that is what keeps it stable so I don't tip it hauling myself up into the boat. I guess I need to try fatter wheels on my dolly this weekend as some have suggested and a better technique of hauling myself up without tipping it which I guess just takes practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2014

ccrasmus is on a distinguished road

Awesome boat for sure but too big for me at this point! One day.....a bigger boat!
Old 07-06-2014
Windseeker

theonecalledtom is on a distinguished road

Watching a recent video on sailinganarchy.com the guy rolls his boat over the beach on a small round bollard - looked pretty neat.

the essence of independence | Sailing Anarchy

A laser is perfect - unless you want passengers. Watch some of the last Olympics on YouTube to see how fun they can get!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2014

Waterrat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrasmus View Post
I guess I could try that but the sails really aren't the problem. I can rig the sails on the beach but the getting the actual boat to the water is tough and then getting the center board in before I jump in bc that is what keeps it stable so I don't tip it hauling myself up into the boat. I guess I need to try fatter wheels on my dolly this weekend as some have suggested and a better technique of hauling myself up without tipping it which I guess just takes practice.
Actually the centerboard is generally used to create lift. It does offer some stabilizing effect but crew weight and placement is that ballast that keeps the boat upright. So with a little practice you will be hoping in and out with zero worries of tipping. Keep your weight centered and low when you don't need to counteract the force on the sails. Think about it as a huge stable windsurfer or the obvious its like riding a bike. When you first learn it is impossibly difficult and unstable but soon it is like riding a bike or Vanguard 15 if you will. Have fun. Justin
Old 07-06-2014
Owl

-OvO- is on a distinguished road

As waterrat says, keep your weight centered and low. You are coming up over the stern, not over the side, right? So find a way to do it smooothly. No jumping. Think slither, not climb. It might help to rig a line (from... somewhere. The base of the mast?) with a couple of loops in it to hang over the edge as a foot/hand hold. And don't put the centerboard down right away, so you can keep the boat in shallower water and won't have as far to get up into it.
Old 07-06-2014
1934 Chickering

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough

wow.. all this effort to keep a boat upright..

If you rig the boat before it's on the water, even the slightest wind will take her over. strap it to a dolly.. even a wide dolly.. it will take the dolly over with it. This boat
Is not a keel boat. the center board does NOT keep it upright. it's designed for racing and the crew is the ballast. Just the weight of the mast is almost enough to take her over. Not much you can to to keep it upright when launching while rigged. Best to learn how to use your body weight to right it because you will be getting wet allot with such a boat. That's the fun of it too!

Rig when afloat. end of story.

My boat is for sale.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-06-2014
Water Lover

Location: New Mexico, USA (Heron, Elephant Butte lakes); Arizona (Lake Pleasant)
rgscpat is on a distinguished road

It might be that some folks are not obviously clear enough on the difference between rigging (rudder attached in up position, sail bent on, center board maybe poised to go down with something holding it up in the cb trunk) and raising sail. Raising sail is the final step that doesn't work so well for many solo dinghies until you're in the water and then aboard. The rigging should mostly be able to be done on the beach.
-OvO- likes this.
Old 07-06-2014
Remember you're a womble

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

We used to launch a Mirror dinghy from the beach all the time, sails lowered, centreboard in the slot ready to push down, rudder raised. Push out to about mid-thigh depth (if that), push off and slither over the side. Centreboard and rudder down asap, sails up, away you go.

The Following User Says Thank You to PaulinVictoria For This Useful Post:
ccrasmus (07-09-2014)
Old 07-06-2014
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road

Seems like you might be making it a bit complicated for yourself wanting a main and jib and wanting to sail by yourself - especially as a new sailor. What about a Laser Radial? It is a Laser hull but with a smaller rig that is better suited for your weight. A regular Laser is better if you are around 160 lbs. Laser radials are often raced, you probably could pick up one that is not suited for serious racing but fine for having fun and learning on. Same idea for launching with a dolly but much lighter boat and fewer strings to worry about.
Back to Grenada in early December. Not sure I will remember how to sail. Will spend the winter and early spring in the Caribbean and then head to Bermuda and the northeast US. Still trying to decide if we will bring the boat to Canada, either in 2015 or 2016.
Old 07-06-2014
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough

Give the Vanguard some more time. The suggestion to contact the Vanguard Fleet Captain at SSA is a good one. Good boats, fun, and you'll learn a LOT with practice.

Where are you launching?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.